Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

I don't think SG would think it was OT...

SG was talking about record keeping...

This is what I said about it (on the chatroll where they can see it)

oh this is like meditation - I know it makes things better but I don't do enough of it.

Our record keeping homework (trying to make it super simple and a bit like a gratitude journal)

"Homework" - record keeping - write down three wins you've had with your training today (including training opportunities exposed by failures), and then three things you want to work on tomorrow.

And of course - I haven't done yesterdays... or todays...

I think I need to give myself permission to "do it wrong"

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am terrible with record keeping :o

I'm at the end of my third year in my degree, and keeping notes starts to feel a bit too much like uni work, and not enough like having a fun time with my dog.

No training for us today as miss Del has an upset tummy.

I am really pleased with our progress from doing recallers.

I have learnt some really, really important things. Like building value, then you can use consequences if you need to. Also not C.R.A.P!

And Del and I have had a lot of fun playing these games, and her recall is going great :cool:

There have been a few struggles, for instance, all the RZ stuff means she sometimes gets a little confused when I'm asking her to return to my front and she's been going crooked!

Also I think I will still be doing some luring in the future. Although I am working hard to develop solid hand touches that will be more suitable for luring than the poke-style hand touches :)

I am officially very behind in the recaller's games :(

Turns out trying to start up a grooming business outside of my normal working hours leaves very little time for anything else

But on the plus side we're having fun with our own games of choice built around everyday activities (walking through doors, dinner time etc)

Sarah's confidence in continuing to improve which is great. I can see her thinking about things rather than just reacting and I can't remember the last time she scared herself walking down the noisy hallway.

Collie is still a pain in the butt wanting attention all the time and his barking any time a stranger walks in the house is more of an issue now that we have people coming and going a lot more but it's all work in progress.

I agree Leah, I have incorporated a lot of our own games of choice, including at every exit point of the house and yard, and this has been hugely successful, but also put us a bit behind :) but that's ok.

I really need to do it with the cars too. She's not too bad, but its not as good as it could be.

I'm sure you'll get there in the end with Collie :)

I wonder if it could be useful for him to wear a thundershirt maybe?

I agree Leah, I have incorporated a lot of our own games of choice, including at every exit point of the house and yard, and this has been hugely successful, but also put us a bit behind :) but that's ok.

I really need to do it with the cars too. She's not too bad, but its not as good as it could be.

I'm sure you'll get there in the end with Collie :)

I wonder if it could be useful for him to wear a thundershirt maybe?

we tried a Thundershirt for his separation anxiety before we got Sarah, I think it worked for 1 day :p

I'm focusing on getting him better in the crate at the moment, he does like the crate but it's definitely not an anywhere any time kind of solution, he's not happy if left alone in it as I found out last night after about 45 minutes of howling, barking and pawing at the crate door in the spare room (he won that round, the crate was moved next to the dog bed where Sarah was, peace and quiet after that)

I ordered another crate today so at least I can get him and Sarah sleeping in separate crates and then I'll start mixing up the crate locations over night before introducing some day time quiet crate time

I am a bit behind too, but keeping up to date with all the games and watching the videos, so sometimes I chuck a random game into whatever I happen to be doing at the time. Getting great lead outs and solid sits now, with no other specific "stay" training other than some of these games - I think that is so cool! I must say anything that involves IYC with food or her favourite Kong Bounzer just drives Thisbe mental :laugh: And she is still RZ-ing people all over the place.

leah82, have you tried lavender essential oil? I use a tiny bit on the tips of the ears for my stress-head at the vet, and also for thunder phobia in my old girl in combination with Rescue Remedy and the thundershirt, and it works a charm. Well, it at least calms me down, lol.

Susan talks about "thunder bones" ie she gets out calcium supplements (my dog can spell "B-O-N-E"), at the first sign of thunderstorms or maybe before - and her dogs look forward to them.

Is interesting that thundershirts are a bit hit and miss. They work with some dogs but not others.

I am en route home so nearly 3 weeks behind. Me thinks the first game we play will be "mum and dad are home jumping zoomies" which Waldo has well and truly mastered. I hope "payback for leaving me is forgotten" rofl1.gif

How was the homecoming? Everything you expected? :laugh:

I just haven't had the energy to train lately, was just getting over the flu when I got a cold so I'm probably a week away from feeling normal again. But daylight savings will be here soon and I am usually more motivated when the days get longer, so I'll get around to it. I actually think the week break put me out of routine, not sure it worked for me.

Homecoming.....crazy then stuff you and watched the footy with my daughter.

Sorry you r unwell. I am looking forward to daylight saving as well.

I did a session of obedience today. Warmed up with restrained recall. Put the lead around a pole. Took Waldo second go to work out running around the pole before I could get far enough away. Did hide and seek which went well.

Was thrilled with his work.

Sue

That's excellent Superminty!

I noticed a big improvement this morning when I had Del offleash. The RZ was working really well and she was sticking to my side a lot. Before if I let her off lead she would just get instantly excited and have zoomies.

There was also some sheep (completely fenced off so no worries of her getting to them. I knew I wouldn't be able to recall her from that distraction, but she did a sit from a distance for me and a collar grab and she happily walked away!!! Which I was delighted with :)

Edited by raineth

Today I practiced not rewarding crap with food.

Ie I play a game with part of Frosty's dinner that involves sit, drop, paddle (feet pumping cos it's cute), stand, spin, twist, tail worky (wag your tail - more), back up etc. Ie rapid fire tricks and response...

And every now and again she'd drop when I said sit, and sit when I said drop... and change position when I said "turkey" which is a trick word that doesn't mean anything (yet)...

And I'd wait for the right response... and praise and pat where as I might have given her a treat for finally offering up the behaviour I originally asked for.

We aslo had a brief moment of crate training - I haven't really worked on - if I say "crate" you can't come out until I say but if I don't say "crate" and you go in, you can choose when you come out. And yelling at me in there for food is not to be rewarded...

I think she got it. Or sort of. Just need to practice that more.

I've been hanging out for another coaching call despite staying up all night for the ICPeeps live... you think that would be enough but no...

There was also some sheep (completely fenced off so no worries of her getting to them. I knew I wouldn't be able to recall her from that distraction, but she did a sit from a distance for me and a collar grab and she happily walked away!!! Which I was delighted with :)

Nice work! That's the technique I use with Thisbe if I think there is a chance her recall won't work - she has a good drop at distance thanks to her stockwork and it gives me a chance to break through "distracted brain" and get her engaging with me again.

Today I practiced not rewarding crap with food.

Ie I play a game with part of Frosty's dinner that involves sit, drop, paddle (feet pumping cos it's cute), stand, spin, twist, tail worky (wag your tail - more), back up etc. Ie rapid fire tricks and response...

And every now and again she'd drop when I said sit, and sit when I said drop... and change position when I said "turkey" which is a trick word that doesn't mean anything (yet)...

And I'd wait for the right response... and praise and pat where as I might have given her a treat for finally offering up the behaviour I originally asked for.

There is always that temptation to reward when they eventually get it right, isn't there? And then you have a lovely pattern trained down-sit, or jump-sit etc. Thisbe's default behaviour is a lie down (heavily reinforced when she was a puppy because she is so busy), so sit is really hard for her and often comes paired with a lie down first! This course is helping that a lot.

Time to get busy and inspired - next coaching call for R5 announced...

questions about all games accepted.

Toronto (Canada - Ontario) Wednesday, 17 September 2014 at 6:30:00 PM EDT UTC-4 hours

Adelaide Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 8:00:00 AM ACST UTC+9:30 hours

Sydney Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 8:30:00 AM AEST UTC+10 hours

Perth Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 6:30:00 AM AWST UTC+8 hours

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140917T1830&p1=250&p2=5&p3=240&p4=196