New Anti-itch Medication

My friends overseas seem to be raving about this treatment for grass allergy, yeasty dogs, mystery allergy dogs etc. Apparently this medication is now available in Australia, through Pfizer (I'm not 100% sure of the distributor though) and has been since earlier this year.

Does any DOLer have actual knowledge of cases where it has been prescribed yet? I will have to remember to ask my own vet next visit.

Here is a blurb from an overseas clinic as an overview for those to whom it is new.

Certainly to me it would appear to have far less side-effects than cortisone which is commonly prescribed where antihistamines don't work.

It is still undergoing approval in Australia as far as I'm aware. There's actually a world wide shortage at the moment as well.

My dog is currently in a long term trial of this drug. It's certainly an effective drug in many cases, although all drugs carry risks of side effects. The risks are similar to Atopica (cyclosporine). It's faster acting than Atopica, but I have no idea how $$$ it will be.

I

Yes westiemum it's the same drug. It's worked very well for my dog. It cans out the the US this year in early jan. Unfortunately it may be a year or two before we get it.

They have comfortis for cats in NZ but we still don't have it either :(

Comfortis for cats will be available soon....

I was told next year for apoquel here ...my dog was on the trial ans did well on it...he's also on atopica now and doing well too but I guess it depends on price for the new drug as to whether he'll swap ...

Edited by karly101

They have comfortis for cats in NZ but we still don't have it either :(

We will have that in Aussieland soon- apparently according to the supplier, it ought to be available to pet stores in a months' time.

Is this new anti-itch med steroid-based?

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

No its not steroid based... Its very specific and reduces inflammation and itch itself which is why it works for not just atopy. The good thing about it is that it acts VERY quickly whereas atopica takes ages to build up. My dog did have mild diarhoea which on it which settled down.

Yes I got the control on the Pfizer trial - and the Atopica worked really well for Sarah until I'm convinced she became incomtinemt on it - and it was far too expensive. So I'd be interested to try the new one as well.

Here's an article on the shortage

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-breaking-news/2014/05/27/apoquel-shortage-to-last-into-next-year.aspx

Shortage of Apoquel Allergy Drug to Last Into 2015

Zoetis, the maker of Apoquel, is rejecting new orders for the canine itch drug because of overwhelming demand.

Veterinary Practice News Editors

Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 4:20 p.m. EDT

Apoquel is approved for use in the United States and Europe.

The new canine anti-itch drug Apoquel is in such high demand and short supply that some veterinarians are unable to prescribe it.

The manufacturer, Zoetis Inc. of Florham Park, N.J., reported that the shortage may continue until mid-2015, about 18 months after the only Janus kinase inhibitor formulated for veterinary use hit the U.S. market.

Apoquel (oclacitinib tablet) is given twice a day for the control of itching associated with allergic dermatitis and the control of clinical manifestations of atopic dermatitis. A clinical trial of dogs suffering from allergic dermatitis found that the drug was effective within 24 hours.

The drug’s success–Apoquel may be given once a day for maintenance purposes after two weeks–has dog owners and veterinarians eager to try the medication. But some practitioners, like Tim Hunt, DVM, of Bayshore Veterinary Hospital in Marquette, Mich., can’t get their hands on it.

"I would like to try Apoquel, as all the info seems to be glowing, but have been unable to get any,” Dr. Hunt said. "I have clients asking often about this drug but have not been able to personally prescribe any to date.”

The demand and a "complex, time-consuming manufacturing process” means the drug cannot be produced fast enough, said Steve Leder, senior vice president of Zoetis’ U.S. Companion Animal Division.

"Since the launch ... on Jan. 20, Zoetis has experienced a significantly higher than anticipated volume of orders due to extremely high veterinary community demand for this innovative new medicine,” Leder said.

Zoetis is rejecting orders from new customers as it works to accelerate production.

"Our top priority continues to be to ensure that patients currently being treated with Apoquel can continue to receive the product without interruption,” Leder said.

"Zoetis is aggressively working to make Apoquel available to all dogs that need it, and we appreciate your patience as we work through this situation.”

Edited by sandgrubber