C5 Vaccination Required?

Hello

Is it necessary to get the C5 vaccination if my dog never mingles with other dogs? He gets aggressive when around other dogs so even when we walk him, we will make a conscious effort to avoid bumping into other dogs. I have read that dogs only need the C5 vaccination if they go to boarding kennels or obedience schools (ie. they are always around other dogs). Can someone please advise. Would really appreciate it.

My dog is an adult Golden Retriever.

Edited by vinsnt

Most of the diseases that the C5 vaccination covers may be spread without direct contact with another dog. Urine and faeces will do the trick for most.

However, if you don't want to revaccinate your dog, you could have him titre tested to check current immunity.

You also have the option to drop to C3 if you don't want to cover kennel cough.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

You could get him titre tested to check immunity levels. If he has previously been vaccinated and still gets out and about he should be fine, but you can check the levels to be sure. Find a vet that has a vetpath account (free to set up) and you should pay about $60ish for the test. If they don't have an account they will probably quote you over $200 so it pays to ask around :)

Diseases like parvo are contracted from the environment, not specifically from dog to dog contact, so it makes no difference if he actually mingles with dogs or not.

Thanks everyone. I didn't know that those diseases could be contracted from the environment. Looks like I'll get him the C5 vaccination to be safe. He is 9 by the way.

I would consider checking before giving him this needle.

What part of Victoria are you located?

No you do not need to vaccinate every year, no you do not need to give a C5, yes vaccinations can have side effects.

"The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) believes that in most cases, core

vaccines need not be administered any more frequently than triennially and that

even less frequent vaccination may be considered appropriate if an individual

animal’s circumstances warrant it."

http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/documents/Other/AVA_vaccination_policy.pdf

In the old days I used to give vaccination boosters every year then stop vaccinating altogether at age 8. They would have an annual senior health test instead. Titres were unheard of in those days but my bet was that they had developed full immunities by then. I never had a senior severely ill with any of those diseases.

Now that vets are recoomending a full puppy course and then three yearly boosters, I will do the full puppy course, then annual nasal KC and three yearly C3 boosters. I am intending to stop the nasals at eight 8, and switch to titres three yearly at age 10.

That is for my own dogs, rescues get an annual C5 unless they are seniors ( then they get an annual C3 and a nasal kennel cough).

You have the right to the vaccination regime of your choice. Boarding kennels (or their regulators) have the right to refuse anyone who uses a regime not approved by the regulators.

My dogs get three puppy vaccinations using C3, then one C3 12 months after the last puppy vaccination. After that, they are only revaccinated if their titre test result indicates that their immunity levels have fallen below, or close to below, protective minimum.

I do not see the virtue or benefit in vaccinating for canine cough. In almost all cases it is a mild, self limiting illness that generally leaves no lasting effects.

The issues surrounding yearly vaccinations for anything are, in my opinion, too risky to warrant vaccinating for an illness such as canine cough. It's akin to vaccinating yearly for the common cold in humans.

If the dog has had annual vaccinations and is now 9 I would not be vaccinating him at all. He, IMO would be well covered by immunity by now I would imagine. A thought! It could be annual vaccinations that is creating his aggression problem, again just my opinion.

Titres would be a good option but it is not easy finding a Vet to do them, let alone at a reasonable cost.

Mine are given puppy shots and then titre tested at 14months. Have never had a dog come back with low immunity at that age. Delta will be 8 this year and is still returning high levels. I would be getting his levels checked if it was me, if he had compromised immunity he would have become sick years ago IMO as the vaccinations wouldn't have taken.

If the dog has had annual vaccinations and is now 9 I would not be vaccinating him at all. He, IMO would be well covered by immunity by now I would imagine.

Titres would be a good option but it is not easy finding a Vet to do them, let alone at a reasonable cost.

This ^. A titre might at least put your mind at rest, although if a titre comes back negative it doesn't mean no immunity either - could mean the antibodies have retreated to cell memory. Dr Bob Cavey at Ultimate Vet Clinic in Narre Warren South, Vic, will run titres.