South Australian Laws On Owning Cross Breed Dingos

Charlie13

Hi everyone,

Its my first time on here and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it is legal to own a dingo cross in South Australia and what would happen?

We have a very much loved family pet who is dingo cross and work is taking me to South Australia but i have read and heard it is illegal to own a dingo cross there, although I haven't been able to find anything in the legislation that outlines clearly the law.

I will not under any circumstances give my dog up and if I can not take him I would have to leave my job and not move, but I'm wondering if anyone knows or could point me in the right direction to find out.

When calling the council they wouldn't give me answers just wanted to know my details which i would not divulge.

thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Despite the law I have met a Dingo X at the local dog park in suburban Adelaide - it was very easy to pick him and when I spoke to his owner he said straight out that yes his dog was a Dingo X.

I am in no way encouraging law breaking - just saying that there is at least one here already.

I'd like to know how it is decided that a dog is a dingo or dingo cross if it's isn't chipped as such. That's what you need to look in to. If there is nothing written in to the legislation about HOW to go about identifying breeds then it's unlikely you're going to run into too much trouble. SA has restricted dog legislation but as far as I'm aware people with bully mutts don't have much problems seeing as there's nothing written into the legislation that allows officers to declare a dog as such.

Yes, if he's not identified as a dingo X on his registration and is a friendly, well adjusted family dog I'd just identify him as a kelpie x or whatever else he looks most like. Unfortunately if he's registered on his chip as a dingo X then it's probably risky.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier (probably) and a dingo/cream kelpie/corgi cross (perhaps). Fortunately, I live in Western Australia and so I can enjoy my dogs without having to worry about some nasty little Nazi ranger with a chip on both shoulders accusing me of owning "dangerous dogs".

Me, I'd think that any "dingo cross" could realistically be registered as a "kelpie cross". The kelpie has a big dose of dingo blood (some would say a majority dose).

How "dingoey" (if that is a word, Esky the husky) does it look? Who gives a rat's arse? If it looks like a dingo, it looks like a sort of kelpie. Therefore it is an Aussie icon dog and no government (state or federal) would have the guts to legislate against it. Not even Tony Abbot would be stupid enough to ban "red dog". OK, I am not too sure about the preceding sentence; Tony has demonstrated serious stupidity on a major scale and on the world wide stage. Tony is currently a bit of an embarrassment for us Aussies. Bring back Julia; at least she had the decency to believe what she said. Tony however is totally false (like all his ministers). Tony makes Clive look like a statesman.

ricey (ducking for cover; the Tony fan club is going to be quite upset). But again, who gives a rat's arse? Not me, and certainly not Clive Palmer or Helen Milne

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of an American Pit Bull Terrier (probably) and a dingo/cream kelpie/corgi cross (perhaps). Fortunately, I live in Western Australia and so I can enjoy my dogs without having to worry about some nasty little Nazi ranger with a chip on both shoulders accusing me of owning "dangerous dogs".

Me, I'd think that any "dingo cross" could realistically be registered as a "kelpie cross". The kelpie has a big dose of dingo blood (some would say a majority dose).

How "dingoey" (if that is a word, Esky the husky) does it look? Who gives a rat's arse? If it looks like a dingo, it looks like a sort of kelpie. Therefore it is an Aussie icon dog and no government (state or federal) would have the guts to legislate against it. Not even Tony Abbot would be stupid enough to ban "red dog". OK, I am not too sure about the preceding sentence; Tony has demonstrated serious stupidity on a major scale and on the world wide stage. Tony is currently a bit of an embarrassment for us Aussies. Bring back Julia; at least she had the decency to believe what she said. Tony however is totally false (like all his ministers). Tony makes Clive look like a statesman.

ricey (ducking for cover; the Tony fan club is going to be quite upset). But again, who gives a rat's arse? Not me, and certainly not Clive Palmer or Helen Milne

Err I wasn't having a go. My in laws have owned a number of dingo crosses and have had them registered as whatever the 'cross' was.

Dingo x staffy type was registered as a staffy x etc.

Hi all,

Also the OP asked if it was illegal to have a dingo in SA and the answer is yes. Regardless of what breed you could pretend it is. So there is always inherent risks of bringing one in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your responses and sorry it has been a long time to reply.

He looks very much like a dingo and has very similar mannerisms. I did get him from Paws and they informed me he was a shepherd x and that is what he is registered as. Most people that see him always ask what breed he has and can always spot the dingo but also shepherd or kelpie.

He was a shelter dog and was treated very badly before i got him and is very anxious and scared of people which at the moment comes across as aggressive behaviour and is in training.

other than that he is a sweet loving dog and very loyal.