Am I Growing Ok :updated After Chiro

Esky the husky

Is there a breed standard? What adult height and weight does that say?

If there isn't one how can anyone say he is too big? 25 inches isn't that tall, he may be a dog who grows faster younger then slows up fairly quickly.

I would also get the hind legs checked to be sure.

He is handsome :)

Is there a breed standard? What adult height and weight does that say?

If there isn't one how can anyone say he is too big? 25 inches isn't that tall, he may be a dog who grows faster younger then slows up fairly quickly.

I would also get the hind legs checked to be sure.

He is handsome :)

No breed standard as bullarabs are a type rather then a breed.

Mostly they are mixes of various mastiff types and various pointer types, but anything can be thrown in... they do tend to be handsome dogs - I have a long term foster bullarab type here who is stunning!

From the standard:

J) Feet

Feet may vary slightly from a good straight stance to a slightly swayed outwards appearance, hard pads and a well bunched set of arched toes

N) Height & weight

Ideal Height range: Males 63cm - 69cm Females 61cm - 66cm

Ideal Weight range: Males 32kg - 42kg Females 30kg - 40kg

I think your boy looks great. The arab I had in the nineties was very similar to your boy. I don't have height measurements for him but I just looking back at his old records: he was a fit 39kg at 7 1/2 months of age.

THe only ones I have seen around these parts have been substantially larger than that??? One male was around 50kgs. He was delightful and solid brindle. He unfortunately died young as he had severe wobblers and was euthed. His sister was brindle and white and around 45kgs.

I have also seen Burton Hounds down here which is apparently a type of pig dog as well.

THe only ones I have seen around these parts have been substantially larger than that??? One male was around 50kgs. He was delightful and solid brindle. He unfortunately died young as he had severe wobblers and was euthed. His sister was brindle and white and around 45kgs.

I have also seen Burton Hounds down here which is apparently a type of pig dog as well.

Yes, that was my boy's mature weight too. Around the 53kg mark.

So we've got back from the chiro.

Very good report on Fritz's growth.

Says he can't see anything wrong with him from a structural or chiropractic viewpoint.

All his ligaments and bones are well developed and he say's I'm one of few people not to bring him fat puppies *whee*

Basically it was the green light to keen doing what I'm doing. But to hold off on racing him until next season :D

We're going to go back for a check up when he is a year old

Esky on the other hand is the total opposite.. :( Poor Esky

Thanks.. A fair few arab people seem to think he's too big. Ah we've got a lot of doubters. Hope we can prove em wrong

Sometimes those types have a tad too much envy rather than sense..... if you get my drift.

ETA: had not read your update............. Sour grapes indeed.

The lad is stunning, and a fit build. He will flourish with you.

:D

Edited by VizslaMomma

That's incorrect. They are a mixture mostly of GSp, greyhound and bull terrier. There are two registries for the breed. but both have pretty much the same standard. :)

Thanks for the info! I didn't realise there was a development register and a standard - when did those things happen??

No point my trying to educate all the hunting breeders around here - they are still using mastiff types and pointer types with the odd dollop of staghound type... Bullmastiff x GSP x Dane is a common mix.

I have one here here - adult and just under 50 kg last time I had him weighed. He was from a rural pound though, and I doubt very much would be on any register - most of the ones we see here aren't. icon_smile_mad.gif

That's incorrect. They are a mixture mostly of GSp, greyhound and bull terrier. There are two registries for the breed. but both have pretty much the same standard. :)

Thanks for the info! I didn't realise there was a development register and a standard - when did those things happen??

No point my trying to educate all the hunting breeders around here - they are still using mastiff types and pointer types with the odd dollop of staghound type... Bullmastiff x GSP x Dane is a common mix.

I have one here here - adult and just under 50 kg last time I had him weighed. He was from a rural pound though, and I doubt very much would be on any register - most of the ones we see here aren't. icon_smile_mad.gif

The ABAR Australian Bull Arab Registry is what my boy is registered to. The registry is fairly new started around 2007, and at a guess the other one ( ABBA) would have started around the same time.

The whole idea with the ABAR is like a buyer protection thing other pedigree breeders have, buying a dog from them guarantees it's actually a Bull Arab, not like you mention a similar looking cross.

Thanks for the info Esky...2007 is very recent, given that bullarabs have been around since at least the 1970s (and probably before!)

I am all in favour of development registers for recognition and standardisation of a new breed, but I find it a bit confusing and somewhat sad when there are competing registers. If the breeders involved in cementing the breed type until it breeds true cannot agree, it could delay the recognition of the breed. I suspect that this is happening with Australian Bulldogs-Aussie Bulldogs-Bosdogs.

Is there a difference in the type of Bull Arab being certified in the two different registries or do they share the same standard but differ politically in some way?

I'm really not sure why there are two registries. I think some disagreement over the purity of certain lines or some nonsense.

I don't really want to get into politics with hunters :laugh:

I'm happy that my dog came from a 'registered breeder' who hunts full time and has been in good health. I don't really know what more I could hope for, no testing is done on any breeding stock at this stage