Have You Already Picked Out Breed/name For Your Next One?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that so many can't pick a name before knowing the pup. Can I also ask if it makes a difference if you know basically what the dog will look like or whether you rescue? I can imagine that if i was getting a rescue dog or a breed with lots of variation in colour, etc that I might have more trouble settling on a name early but bassets are pretty well all basically the same look, there's only a couple of different colour forms and in a litter between two tricolours you basically end up with lots of very similiar coloured pups. If I pic just about any random pic of a basset hound from the web such as the one below I find it quite easy to imagine it being called George LOL (although I think this one might be a girl but if she is she's a fairly solid one)

post-6758-0-59570700-1402911434_thumb.jpg

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Guest Clover

It's going to be a while before another arrives here.

All I have is breed and only if the lines I like are still available at the time. Must be male and preferably rough coated, definitely not smooth.

It's a TMBG reference. I prefer JL as a songwriter, but I think JF has the cooler name. ;)

:D Actually I thought Linnell sounds more girly so I think it works better as a girls name... :o

We went with Flansburgh for our Flansy because he is a British shorthair, a rounded chunky breed, and John Flansburgh is, well, the same :D But he is also a well known cat lover...

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

It's interesting that so many can't pick a name before knowing the pup. Can I also ask if it makes a difference if you know basically what the dog will look like or whether you rescue? I can imagine that if i was getting a rescue dog or a breed with lots of variation in colour, etc that I might have more trouble settling on a name early but bassets are pretty well all basically the same look, there's only a couple of different colour forms and in a litter between two tricolours you basically end up with lots of very similiar coloured pups. If I pic just about any random pic of a basset hound from the web such as the one below I find it quite easy to imagine it being called George LOL (although I think this one might be a girl but if she is she's a fairly solid one)

Its always been that way for me - Pups, kittens, fish, birds, foals. They have a name or look like something when you meet them. (and now I kinda sound like a hippy)

:D Actually I thought Linnell sounds more girly so I think it works better as a girls name... :o

We went with Flansburgh for our Flansy because he is a British shorthair, a rounded chunky breed, and John Flansburgh is, well, the same :D But he is also a well known cat lover...

yes - I can see that :) Chunky little man lives up to his namesake.

Didn't know flans was a cat man :)

Makes no difference to me. My next dog will be a samoyed and you don't get much in the wsy of colour choice.

I still need to know the dog before I name it

I've had my "show" girl's name picked since her mum was a baby herself. Hopefully mum will be in season in the next couple of weeks and finger's crossed I get a gorgeous girl out her her so I can use the name.

And the litter after that, I have a pick boy's name ready to go as well. I've had that name for years.

Here's hoping all goes to plansmile.gif

I am obsessed with names and naming, and my house is going to be pretty crowded if I ever get a chance to use them all. :laugh:

But my next border terrier girl is going to be Didge, but only if it's from a particular mating.

My dog names are themed, war type things. So I have a rather hefty list of names i love to choose from :D

And breed wise, i dont know if i want a GSD or a cav next - i know, very different. But i have breeders for both picked :)

The cats just get random names. Current kitty is Todd (named after the fox from Disneys Fox and the Hound- because she found todd the fox in the movie, and I found todd the cat!)

I have a name picked for a big boofy dog. It would only suit a boy with a huge head, I have many future breeds in mind a few might suit it smile.gif

If I ever end up with a male Newfie I think that dog will take it.

Edited by LisaCC

I've had great, long lists of names for my last two puppies, and they have both ended up with something quite different once I met them. I knew they were both going to be brindle and white Cardigans, and what sex, but something in their character or look changed their name on contact. I also teach dog obedience classes, and like most teachers of any description, that rules a lot of common names out, as I've known too many dogs with those names!

Zimri was going to be Hobson, but I chose for a performance pup and he's such a livewire that I needed a zippier sounding name. Zimri means 'celebrated in song or praiseworthy' in Hebrew, and I had wanted a musical themed name, so it was perfect. I had a list of musical names ready for my girl, but she had such a foxy little face, that we looked at fox names when she came home, and Inari is the Japanese deity of fox spirits and rice.

Zim also gets Monkey, or Minkey-monkey, and Inari gets Poppet a lot, which they answer quite happily too as well.

Breed and sex picked out for next pup. Playing around with names though, I am loving Raavi at the moment but already have a Jovi and a Nova who gets called Novi so think it's all getting a bit to close :laugh:

My girl was named (both reg and call) before she was born, she was always going to be Jovi. So I don't have any issues any more picking a name before I meet the pup.

My dog names tend to evolve over time. Doofus was Buddy when I got him from the pound, and I kept saying 'god buddy, you are such a doofus', then 'you doofus' then just 'hi, this is doofus, give it 10 minutes and you'll get why'

Bear is actually named Kodiak, which morphed into Kodiak Bear, to Brown Bear, to just Bear and occasionally The Bear. She was also called fuzzball furpants for a while. Now she only gets Kodiak if she's in trouble, but the girlchild calls her kodikak if she's telling her off, which is sticking a bit :laugh:

I'm hoping to get a toller related to bear in future, not totally sure how closely related but regardless Tollers are definitely of family breed of choice. I want to call it Roo, cos the girlchild looooooves the way bear says a-ROOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I don't have a name picked yet for any future dogs. I had Zora's name picked before she arrived. Kite was around 6 weeks old when I named her, as I bred her she'd been with me and was named once I knew she was staying. Her name matches her show name (Dawn Flyer) and her personality and habits (never has four feet on the ground!)

My next pup will likely also be named a matching show/call name and will be quite a few years away. But it will be another Brittany for sure but maybe a different colored one ;) I also keep lists of themes and names for potential future litters.

Edited by RallyValley

I would love another large scruffer but OH prefers bulldogs. After the present one I will have to think carefully about a rescue again. There only so many issues I can deal with.

In order we have had Eric, Gus and Hank, I somehow ran through the alphabet and got to a j with four letters and came up with Jake when I'd only seen his rescue photo. When I met him it completely suited him, when he's naughty he gets "Jacob!" After seeing sleepy hollow I did wish I had called him Ichabod.

So the next dog will be rescue or recycled in some way, breed may be bulldog or not. Name will be four letter starting with either k or something later in the alphabet.

If I am in a position to get a really large dog next time, he will be a Leonberger or a Newfoundland and I will name him Fezzik after the character in Princess Bride. In theory anyway, I had a name picked out for Bella (Niamh) before I got her, but when she arrived I just ended up keeping the name her breeders gave her, even though I don't like the name!