Have You Already Picked Out Breed/name For Your Next One?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my breed picked out (I hope to be the one breeding her) and I know I'm having a Disney theme - probably Lion King, as Nala is my girl. I love the names Simba, Mufasa, Sarabi and Sarafina (especially Sarafina, my name is Sarah but hubby won't let me name a child Sarafina that because it sounds like a prostitutes name?).

I may settle on a call name Lulu for a keeper girl, as I'm planning on it being a play on words for the sort of dog she'll be.

Solomon is the other name I will use for a boy. And other themes for litters I want are Royal, and Mythology.

Off topic but my boss and his wife are Egyptian and have a daughter named that but spelt "Seraphina", it sounds absolutely beautiful in their accents. Your hubby's crazy laugh.gif

Got breed, sex and breeder picked out for the next one ( just need landlords permission haha)

It has to start with G. And we have had many arguements that my names don't suit. Gojira, Gremlin, Gizmo and Ghost aren't dog names apparently

Oh come on, that's an awesome name!

You need to take that one back to the discussion table I think :D

I have a friend with a pug called gremlin, apparently that was his condition for getting a pug

I have a friend with a black girl pug called Princess Trevor; he agreed to have a pug, if he could call it Trevor, and when it was a girl, he stuck to his guns! :p

I have a Hamish LOL! OH named him.... at the time it was 'why on earth would you call a French dog a Scottish name?', but he is 100% a Hamish!!

Makes sense to me, after all a lot of French people emigrated to Scotland during the French revolution :p

Velociraptor works, You've got Cira (pronounced sirra) as a pretty shortening for a girl or Loci or Raptor which work well for a boy :)

ETA an afterthought. Velicoraptor actually makes sense given they were actually feathered as are many dog breeds :D (The 'velociraptors' in movies llike Jurrasic Park are more like another closely related group Deinonychus.) This is information I learn from my daughter LOL

Glad someone agrees with me lol!

My boyfriend thought I was insane when I told him I'd found the perfect puppy name :p

My Sarah is actually named after the Land Before Time character Cera, so technically Triceratops

Now you can tell your BF it's been done before so you can't be that crazy :D

I have names in my head for specific dogs, but who knows :) I really like "E" names, so mostly have E names on my list! And a few breeds/gender, though who knows if the names will stick when/if the puppy arrives! It took me a few weeks to name Elsie, I had wanted an "L" name as my family dogs are Lottie and Libby, but decided Elsie, sounding like LC was close enough! I had picked Lola out for her, until people kept singing this song at the mention of it

:laugh:

Boy Malinois - Ender or Ethan

Girl Doberman - Ethyl

Boy Doberman - Eros

Boy Italian Greyhound - Eli or Elin

Girl Portuguese Podengo - Etoile

Also like Erol and Edith, but don't have a specific dog in mind :D

Most likely the Iggy will be the next dog, as my partner wants one and I already have a dog....

I had a joke that my dogs had to have names that where the names of characters from the breed's country of origin. Currently can't have whippets but I wanted two boys to call Watson and Darcy. Maybe one day!

So now I have two dachshunds called Hansel and Rumplestiltskin (Rumple for short!) so I'm waiting for a little girl to call Gretel. I think all the dachies in my life will have fairy tale names!

My next dog will be a Finnish Lapphund - sex and name not picked out yet but definite on the breed.

I Have been thinking about a Finnish Lapphund. If we do get one, I want to call it Kimi after Kimi Räikkönen, Fininsh F1 driver :D Hubby and son heartily approve.

However, my Aussie Shepherd has stolen my heart and I could be persuaded to have another one, preferably a blue merle this time. In that case I have no idea for a name :D

My next dog will be a Finnish Lapphund - sex and name not picked out yet but definite on the breed.

I Have been thinking about a Finnish Lapphund. If we do get one, I want to call it Kimi after Kimi Räikkönen, Fininsh F1 driver :D Hubby and son heartily approve.

However, my Aussie Shepherd has stolen my heart and I could be persuaded to have another one, preferably a blue merle this time. In that case I have no idea for a name :D

Mark Webber? :p

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, Leah :laugh:

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, Leah :laugh:

lol fair enough, either way I think you have found the best way to sell dog names to the rest of your family... find a way to link it to motorsports, or sport in general

I'm thinking of having a competition where I ask people on DOL to help me name my puppy... And I will pay $50 off the winner's vet bill... But I won't start it until the puppy has actually been born. What do you think? Are you allowed to have competitions like that on DOL?

eta

Actually, no, don't worry about it. I'll just think of a name myself :)

Edited by Queen Maeby

There's a lady at the agility club I go to with 2 gorgeous Belgian Groenendals and she's an obvious Trekkie. Her first girl is called Seven of Nine (she's actually the 7th born in a litter of nine too!!) and her other is B'Elanna, which I think is cute! :D

I have such a long list....

I'd love an IG, Border Terrier, Tibbie or a frenchie or Boston or Griffon de Bruxellois if we go the small dog route.

An Aus Shep or a toller if we go up a notch.

I'd also like a wirehaired pointer one day and toller and a saluki and a greyhound... The list is literally endless.

I would love to keep having flat coated retrievers too.

Gus didn't have a name until he got here. He had a shortlist but I can't name animals in advance.

All our animals have old person names though. Gus might have been Icarus if he had suited it. Icky would have suited though. What a grub he is...

I'm thinking of having a competition where I ask people on DOL to help me name my puppy... And I will pay $50 off the winner's vet bill... But I won't start it until the puppy has actually been born. What do you think? Are you allowed to have competitions like that on DOL?

eta

I don't think you'd need to offer a prize, DOLers love giving name suggestions :) plus it would also be an excuse for us to look at gorgeous Pug puppy photos :love:

eta

I don't think you'd need to offer a prize, DOLers love giving name suggestions :) plus it would also be an excuse for us to look at gorgeous Pug puppy photos :love:

Okay, no worries :)

The mum will be mated again in October/November when she comes into season... So the puppy will be born December/January, and then home with me two months later. Is that right?

Picked out breed and sex for my next one. All going according to plan that shouldn't be for a few years yet though. I usually have a list of names written down that I like then choose the one that suits the pup best after I've brought it home. I did this for my last one but my husband who was working away when I brought him home took one look at the pic I sent to him and declared the pup looked like a "Richard". As far as I was concerned no dog looks like a Richard but there you have it, I had to give him some say seeing as he had no say on breed. So now I have a poodle named Richard. :o