A Query For Someone .

persephone

Good in theory but, from experience, if your grey is a bit older and wobbly, very hard to put on.

Maddie's PJ's arrived last week and you're right Rebanne, they are a tad hard to put on.

I'm the one that's old and wobbly (and grey) and man it was a mission. Luckily she is very patient and I'm sure I'll get it down pat eventually. There is not a hope I'd get them on Stan he's a woos and would carry on a treat bending his legs into them. The back legs are waaaay too long so they have to be rolled up heaps and for the first few nights she stood there like a stunned mullet and wouldn't walk in them. I spose it didn't help that I couldn't stop laughing at how funny they looked on her.

Having said that they are lovely and warm :)

post-38965-0-79892400-1407382856_thumb.jpg

The jammies definitely take some practice to put on but if you get the right size, it shouldn't involve too much hound contorting. All of the pjs my guys have came from Kickatinalong but I've noticed that not only has customer service taken a massive nosedive, the quality it not even close to what it used to be. Both of my newest pairs are already coming apart in places (worn by inside dogs who spend most of their day sleeping, pjs are washed in a hosiery bag) so I don't think I'd recommend them anymore.

I came across these a while ago (the seller used to put up fliers in our local dog park) and although I haven't tried them, they look nice and being custom made, you could probably ask for changes to be made to the pattern if need be (like shorter front legs for boys or whatever).

I also have a Wolf's Den coat for one of my dogs but I don't think I could recommend them for sighthounds- the quality was fine but it's very baggy and shapeless. I guess when it comes to coats, I prefer something that better fits sighthound contours.

I also have a Wolf's Den coat for one of my dogs but I don't think I could recommend them for sighthounds- the quality was fine but it's very baggy and shapeless. I guess when it comes to coats, I prefer something that better fits sighthound contours.

what style coat Maddy? I have the vest's that zip up along the back and am always recommending them. I and the dogs think they are greyt

what style coat Maddy? I have the vest's that zip up along the back and am always recommending them. I and the dogs think they are greyt

That's what I got :/ I wasn't sure if the styles for sighthounds were different so I actually mentioned it was for a whippet but it's almost comically baggy, it looks like a colourful sack.

Maddy I LOVE the pei model that Etsy seller owns. I even messaged her about him ages ago. I think his name is Paddington (or maybe Winston).

HazyWal - How are you putting your pyjamas on? I do head then stick my hand in a front leg and pull a paw through, then do the other front leg the same. Then stick your hand through each back leg pulling the paws through. To take off I normally do one back leg, then the other and peel the whole coat forward over their head and they usually just walk out of the front legs. There is an art to fitting the back leg on onesies and even though I've now made loads I still have probs if the measurements I get given are too long in the length and leg areas. The way the pattern works when you add length along the back you also add fabric width and length in that whole back leg area. It's a pain. Some can be fixed and some can't.

I've just custom made fleece coats very similar to the Chilly Dog ones I've linked to below. I had a similar pattern and a customer had a need for a warm coat for a dog that couldn't do legs. I don't have photos yet to show you but we put a print on top and a plain underneath and she wanted tie straps rather than clips or Velcro. I've already made a pattern to make a double sided pair for Tempeh as I have a cool pink camo for the top and some hot pink for the underside. I'm naming my version the Cold Frog after Tempeh. I'm hoping to perfect them for next winter as I think they could be a good option - expand the back end for good thigh coverage, particularly when they lay down, and make the underside as long as possible without them getting widdled on to give chest and belly warmth. They only need to go on over the head and be wrapped.

I've also talked with one DOLer about pei-jays with wrap around legs. Those clips they use on babies onesies would probably work well but I don't have any quality ones so was going to do them with Velcro closures. I worry that would be a bit scratchy or bulky in the armpit areas though. I haven't seen anyone making this style but with some trial and error it has to be possible and there seems to be a (small) need.

Chilly Dogs (The Cold Frog has more bum coverage and comes in patterned fabrics!) - http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

Edited by Little Gifts

That's how I put them on LG. It's the front legs I'm finding hard the back legs are easy. The greyhound ones have a long neck so I can't put my hand down there I have to put the legs in from the side. It's more my stupid arthritis that's making it difficult, my hands don't work at the best of times.

That's what I got :/ I wasn't sure if the styles for sighthounds were different so I actually mentioned it was for a whippet but it's almost comically baggy, it looks like a colourful sack.

I have the double layer Wolf's Den vests for my whippets too. Happy with them. And they wear very well. Sam is always keen to get into his. Twig is a wretch who likes to be warm, but also likes to undress herself, so the back zip is great as Velcro is out for her.

Their first WD jackets, bought a couple of winters ago, were generally a good fit though a bit loose over their backsides, so I sewed in two pleats there which made them sit better. I have just picked their new ones & they have a pleat.

I run up everyday pull on jumpers, but it took me a while to adjust a bought pattern to get the fit right for whippets. I'm willing to pay for the work & quality of the zipped vests, including the placket behind the zip. The dogs & I like them.

Have steered clear of pjs since I too would have trouble getting them on the dogs & also, Sam has shocking aim. I hate to think of how often I'd be hauling him out of wet pjs. Perhaps when he's old & feels the cold more, will consider them.

I am yet to hear of a dog piddling on their jammies because of how they are made. They are pretty much all open on the underside for that reason. Although if your dog piddles on his own front legs then yes, the jammies could get it!

Here's a pic of the Cold Frog style I just made for a fine coated dog with spondylosis (limited mobility in neck and legs).

post-33739-0-62624300-1407482474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts

I am yet to hear of a dog piddling on their jammies because of how they are made. They are pretty much all open on the underside for that reason. Although if your dog piddles on his own front legs then yes, the jammies could get it!

Here's a pic of the Cold Frog style I just made for a fine coated dog with spondylosis (limited mobility in neck and legs).

Depending on the shape of the dog and the pajamas, it's quite possible for a dog to actually wee on the underside if it's a bit baggy or the dog has a really deep chest and the pajamas don't contour sharply back up. Trust me on that one, I've peeled weejamas off a few dogs :vomit:

:laugh: yep, it's pretty funky.

I've noticed if the pj's have that little bit of bagginess underneath, the young males who have a higher arc of pee when they cock their leg can get nice and wet. (hope that makes sense!)

When you're housetraining it gets interesting, because you have to praise a very piddly little guy who wants a hug for going toilet outside. :o Eeww LOL Lesson learned to clip them up a little tighter.

In any case, I still loooove PJ's especially for the old folks who need nice warm hips.

Well that's a first world problem I appreciate never having experienced (yet)!

Worse I've ever had was a dog who sort of cock-squatted and wee'd right inside the chest gap. Getting those pajamas off was a special kind of not-fun.

I actually had a pair of pajamas made by a Doler (Meg) that had ties with velcro to pull the tummy up tight to stop the problem. I also got her to add velcro cuffs bits to the legs so that they'd stay up nicely. The pjs ended up being too big for the dog in question (my fault, added a few centimetres to be safe and that ended up being too much) but they would have been perfect otherwise.

"Depending on the shape of the dog and the pajamas, it's quite possible for a dog to actually wee on the underside if it's a bit baggy or the dog has a really deep chest and the pajamas don't contour sharply back up. Trust me on that one, I've peeled weejamas off a few dogs."

Weejamas - spot on!

Sam lifts his leg, but his aim is erratic - of all the males we've ever owned, this whippet is the only one I have to remove wet top from or whose legs I have to wipe down every so often. You may be right, Maddy, in suggesting the deep chest has something to do with it. Or the combination of deep chest & long legs?

But, yep, it's a first world problem.

"Depending on the shape of the dog and the pajamas, it's quite possible for a dog to actually wee on the underside if it's a bit baggy or the dog has a really deep chest and the pajamas don't contour sharply back up. Trust me on that one, I've peeled weejamas off a few dogs."

Weejamas - spot on!

Sam lifts his leg, but his aim is erratic - of all the males we've ever owned, this whippet is the only one I have to remove wet top from or whose legs I have to wipe down every so often. You may be right, Maddy, in suggesting the deep chest has something to do with it. Or the combination of deep chest & long legs?

But, yep, it's a first world problem.

I only own sighthounds so I have nothing to compare them with. It does seem like the majority of greyhound boys prefer to squat and that is half the problem- urinating directly between their own front legs is bound to result in pee-paws (hence the oldest dog's nickname: Chief Peepaw of the Wetfoot tribe). Maybe if they cocked their legs properly, it'd pull the belly of the pajamas up and out of the way? All I know is that for all the boys I've had (excluding the idiot dog, for some mysterious reason), pajamas have to be changed at least every second day, and checked regularly in between to make sure they're dry.