Act Police Officer Cap Sprays Tethered Dog

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do police really dress like that? Surely they would be in uniform right?

The article says plainclothes, and the AFP have made a statement saying they take it seriously-no one is denying they were police.

I didn't watch the footage; I can't stand seeing cruel things done to animals.

That cop should be charged with animal cruelty and suspended. If he does that sort of thing to a dog that posed no threat, it begs the question what other things would he be capable of doing?

I'm not watching the video either. As another poster saidm they are thugs and should be treated by the law accordingly.

I haven't watched it ... but I would love to see those persons concerned subjected to a similar few minutes - perhaps place them in a city square at lunchtime ?

They sure as hell wouldn't be laughing for long.

What a coward and a arsehole. And the others aren't any better for standing back and laughing. I hope the investigation is taken seriously.

I agree. The other two are as bad as the perpetrator.

OMG I just watched the video. Who would think those idiots were police officers? Their behaviour is what we have come to expect of roaming hooligans who are out looking for trouble and if there's none to be found they'll create some.

Surely any self respecting officer of the law would charge a person they witnessed carrying out this behaviour - if the perpetrator wasn't fellow police officer.

Are there no restrictions on when and why a police officer can use capsican spray? Surely they're not permitted to use the spray for their own amusement.

I just hope this incident doesn't get lost in the confusion of those multiple investigations.

OMG I just watched the video. Who would think those idiots were police officers? Their behaviour is what we have come to expect of roaming hooligans who are out looking for trouble and if there's none to be found they'll create some.

Same here. I am shaking my head in disbelief.

Cretinous morons, obviously unfit for duties involving the public. should be censured/dismissed.

And why the hell is the RSPCA not prosecuting for animal cruelty? They have the tape. The main offender could be charged, and the other 2 non-humans charged as accessories. Might go and see if they have a fb page.

The article is rather confusing - at the beginning, it appears that the police are ACT state police. Then towards the end, it states "AFP" - which is Australian Federal Police, so which is it?

And the person who owns the dog should be suing the police for damage to the dogs.

Some of these official drones get off on hurting animals. Some idiot policeman some time ago shot a dog dead in his own yard while the police were interviewing the owner as a witness. Nothing happened to him either, despite a lot of feather fluffing by the police in the papers.

The article is rather confusing - at the beginning, it appears that the police are ACT state police. Then towards the end, it states "AFP" - which is Australian Federal Police, so which is it?

They are one and the same. In the ACT the local policing is done by the AFP, under contract to the ACT Govt. We do not have a separate force.

It's very nice that the police 'are taking this matter seriously' and that 'a professional standards investigation is ongoing'. They also state the matter is 'subject to an ongoing internal investigation' but what are they actually investigating? How many investigations do they require? They've seen the CCTV footage. They've got the proof they need.

And the other two officers who were seen on the footage to be laughing while the moron was recording the dog in distress and then threw a stick at it. Are they not accomplices to an illegal act? Will they be charged?

This must not be swept under the carpet.

This makes me think this will just be swept under the carpet and a 'don't do that again' slap on the wrist.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything from it again, in the hopes people forget about it.

This makes me think this will just be swept under the carpet and a 'don't do that again' slap on the wrist.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything from it again, in the hopes people forget about it.

Yep, I see them circling the wagons already.

How can the general public who are aware of the behaviour of these hooligans ensure that some action is taken instead of a series of useless time wasting investigations?

Well done AFP :clap:

Hey, there is an update to this story. It appears that the cop in question gas been demoted and there is an internal investigation occurring. The RSPCA has also stepped in saying that the behaviour was inexcusable...

It issued another statement on Tuesday, saying it had continued talking with police about the matter.

"Many people may not realise that police officers are also authorised by the Animal Welfare Act as animal cruelty inspectors. Since the original complaint went to the AFP rather than to RSPCA ACT, they are obligated to continue with this investigation even though it is an internal case," it said.

"We have offered our assistance to the AFP in this matter. They have told us that the dog was not actually hit by the capsicum spray. However, they did not know whether or not it was hit by the stick that was thrown. We will continue to stay in touch with them as their internal investigation progresses, and will let you know about any new information that we might receive regarding this case."

It said the fact the incident involved an "authorised animal cruelty inspector as a police officer is disturbing".

"However, it has not been something that we have witnessed before from other officers," it said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/police-mum-on-sprayed-dog-investigation-20140624-zsk9d.html#ixzz35YdpoGe0

Edited by poochmad

The AFP need to be open and honest about exactly what they intend to do about this matter. Just because none of their officers have been witnessed behaving like this before doesn't mean it hasn't happened. They were just unlucky that this time it was captured on camera.

All three of those AFP officers present seemed to think it was fun to torment a chained dog. Will anything happen to to other two idiots who were party to this? And this lot are Animal Cruelty Inspectors? God help the animals!

I'm very suspicious of the police investigating the police. If they say anything at all it will be what they think we want to hear.

It's a sad fact that we can't trust our police.

what a rotten moron.... he clearly provoked the animal, knowing full well that it would at the very least bark to protect its home (even my chinese crested would bark to protect me or his home) this is disgusting behaviour from a bunch of thug policemen.. certainly does not inspire confidence or trust in our law enforcement..

they should be charged with animal cruelty & released from service.. Animal cruelty is no joke.. rotten morons..

I couldn't care less if its happened before, that's irrelevant. And they're saying the dog wasn't hit by the spray.... Already trying to weasel out of it. Bloody disgrace. He should have been charged with animal cruelty and sacked, not just demoted.