Pup With Bad Hips

fabel

Hi. this is my first post. My partner and I have a pup who I strongly suspect to have hip dysplacia. He is 4 months old and shows alot of signs and symptoms. I have been recommended to come on here by a friend who says there are many knowledgeable, kind people who may help me. I have been doing alot of reading up on here. I am scared for my pup, we have grown to love him so much. What can I do? I dont want to have him PTS, I want to try everything within reason before I go down that road. Others tell me he is way too young to tell yet. I know to keep his weight down, he is not fat. I have been reading about different supplements like Ester C and fish oil capsuals. I have read so much my head is spinning.

Please, I dont need a lecture on not buying from a registered breeder, I already got a rather lengthy one from my mother. so please just advice. Thankyou

Before you get too panicked I'd go into a reputable vet and get hip xrays done and send them off to be scored by an expert. Although I wouldn't bother getting them done at 4 months, the puppy still has a lot of growing to do.

What symptoms are you seeing and what breed is the dog?

Edited by Bjelkier

Yeah sorry I forgot to add he is a lab cross. A big solid dog, so we suspect he may be crossed with a rotti or mastiff. I was talked out of getting xrays as they may only tell me what I already suspect, then someone else said he's too young. I dont have huge amounts of cash to get hip replacements (I read $8000 a hip?) neither am I poor but $16000 is just cash I do not have. i want to try other things like physio, or supplements. I guess what I'm really afraid of is the vet telling me to have my puppy PTS. Is there anyone who has tried other methods other than hip replacement surgery?

What symptoms I am seeing...sits like a frog, waddley walk.

Could it be normal? I have only had one other dog and that was a kelpie. This is my first big dog.

It's entirely possible that he's fine and those symptoms in a 4 month old don't mean a thing IMO.

The only way you will know is getting xrays done when he's older and if it tells you what you suspect than you know for certain and can plan accordingly. It could turn out he's totally fine as well.

Is he lame or crying out in pain when he gets up or down?

It can also be a condition called oestio desecans which is a rapid growth issue causing pain and inflammation of the joints - not too uncommon it occures in many fast growing animal, large breed dogs, horses etc. Check weight a 4 month old should never be over weight and weight needs to be keep lean up till 12-18 months, any lame dog tends to be called HD by vets - it cannot be diagnosed unless there are Xrays. Check diet - reduce protien levels <25% helps too. Obviously money is always an issue just don't go to worst case scenario just yet. Get a second opinion if there is boney change it will show up, if it is inflammation only anti-inflammatory drugs will help.

Yeah sorry I forgot to add he is a lab cross. A big solid dog, so we suspect he may be crossed with a rotti or mastiff. I was talked out of getting xrays as they may only tell me what I already suspect, then someone else said he's too young. I dont have huge amounts of cash to get hip replacements (I read $8000 a hip?) neither am I poor but $16000 is just cash I do not have. i want to try other things like physio, or supplements. I guess what I'm really afraid of is the vet telling me to have my puppy PTS. Is there anyone who has tried other methods other than hip replacement surgery?

What symptoms I am seeing...sits like a frog, waddley walk.

Could it be normal? I have only had one other dog and that was a kelpie. This is my first big dog.

Sorry didnt read this bit b4 my last post. He sounds like a big goofy pup - unless there is pain or lameness when walking all you see sounds normal. Post a picture that might help too. Young labs waddle it is a breed trait. Fat arse wombats that they are :)

You need to get Xrays if he is in pain.

You need to have this dog examined by a vet.

Sitting like a frog means nothing, many pups sit like that. I have an older dog who still sits like that and she doesn't have hip dysplasia. He's just a puppy there may be nothing wrong with the way he walks, at this age.

If he's not showing any sign of pain or lameness I wouldn't worry but for your own peace of mind, take him to the vet.

You must be so worried :(

BREATHE , first . You may well be wasting a good worry ! Without a vet diagnosis , you have no idea of what is happening .

You have a baby pup still ..of two or more solid breeds . He could be just a shape and an age where he looks wobbly and awkward - some pups do.I have seen some who look as tho they have someone else's legs on!

IF your pup is in pain , limping , & having trouble sitting/lying, then he should be seen by a vet .

if you can ..how about videoing him from behind as someone takes him for a walk ..and as he lies down/gets up? Post it on here , if you are apprehensive of a vet visit just now - it might make you feel better to share .... we cannot diagnose, of course !

Lots of pups lie like frogs , and sit with feet out ...I think I know what you mean here.

We welcome puppy photos, whatever !! :)

My lab boy lies like a frog ALL the time. He also looked very unco at various ages as a pup (still does sometimes). Unless he's limping or showing pain I wouldn't panic. Just do what you're doing and keep his weight under control and minimise any big jumps etc until he's finished growing.

I don't know a lot about HD, but I was under the impression that the milder cases can be managed without surgery. Just be careful with him, and see a vet if there are any genuine signs of pain or discomfort.

At 4 months of age with the symptoms you describe I wouldn't be too concerned, unless he shows lameness or pain. He still has a lot of growing to do, but if you are worried, take him to the vet for a checkup.

Edited by Gottalovealab