Plaque On Dog's Canine Teeth

My dogs are on raw diet... heaps of RMBs etc.. but my golden retriever's top canine teeth still have quite a bit of plaque near the gums. Even sporadic brushing that I do doesn't help. What can I do?

You can try adding organic kelp to the diet; the expensive way is to import Proden Plaque Off, or much easier on the wallet.... buy the same product from DOLer Steve Ascophyllum nodosum

How much would you give that to a dog of 5kg?

Literally, a pinch would suffice. On the Proden container it says to give dogs & cats under 10kg, half to one scoop. I measured a pinch of the kelp & it is roughly half a scoop.

My dog has the same issue - RMBs everyday, brushing her teeth often, and she's been on Plaque Off for about a year now - but still no difference with plaque on her canines. It's very frustrating. Short of her having a dental at the vets I'm not sure what more I can do.

My dogs are on raw diet... heaps of RMBs etc.. but my golden retriever's top canine teeth still have quite a bit of plaque near the gums. Even sporadic brushing that I do doesn't help. What can I do?

It is because the cainines are the "killing teeth", and they do not get worked in a domestic dog, and there is little to no contact during chewing. You will need to maintain physical abraision (brushing) to keep plaque to a minimum.

Forgive my ignorance - What's kelp supposed to do?

Ascophyllum nodosum, a particular species of seaweed, is absorbed into the bloodstream & in conjunction with saliva works systemically to stop plaque sticking to the teeth.

It does make plaque on the canines easier to remove.

Ascophyllum nodosum, a particular species of seaweed, is absorbed into the bloodstream & in conjunction with saliva works systemically to stop plaque sticking to the teeth.

Yes, it must do. My 9yo Cavalier has never had a dental and she has always had Ascophyllum Nodosum added to her food. Her canine teeth are as clean and white as the rest of her teeth. She can't have raw meaty bones.

Cavaliers are notorious for needing regular dentals so it must work. However my 10yo Cav who also has the product added to his diet does need an occasional dental. This dog can not have RMB either.

I can't explain why it seems to work well for one of my Cavs but not the other. Maybe my 10yo boy would need regular dentals rather than just the occasional one if he didn't have this product in his diet.

Both dogs also have roo or goat tendons or bully sticks to chew following their meals in the hope of removing plaque.

Thank you :)

Interesting.

Does it work if the dog already has plaque on the teeth? Or will it just stop more being added? Or can it remove plaque that is already there?

I'd say it doesn't get rid of existing plaque or my 10yo boy wouldn't have needed the only dental he's ever had. My 9yo girl gets no plaque yet both dogs have the same diet and the same quantity of the seaweed product added to their food. I suspect this is because girl will patiently chew a large dental rice bone after meals and the 10yo boy won't, he just carries it around. Chewing the rice bone probably scrapes the plaque away.

The seaweed product softens the plaque so you can scrape it off with a scaler. My boy isn't happy for me use the scaler. Probably because he only gets plaque on the two molars right at the back of his mouth.

The best thing to keep dogs teeth perfectly clean are raw meaty bones. None of my dogs have ever needed a dental when they were having RMB. When I had to stop giving them the 10yo developed plaque.

I would clean it off with a hand dental scaler.

I added Proden to my cats diet and it didn't seem to make much difference. The dogs had one type of dry food which was shocking for it, changed it and its just about all come off - they do get treats and bones but was the same with the other dry food. If there are little spots I clean them with a hand scaler.