Ways To Tire Out Young Rescue Dog

kiesha09

A friend of mine has a young rescue dog that is really high energy. She has a baby just a few months old and a toddler and is struggling to find the time to walk the dog enough. She has been feeling really guilty about it and was considering rehoming the dog to a home where her needs would be met.

The only thing is the toddler and the dog are so incredibly bonded and it would be heartbreaking to all concerned (including mum!) to rehome this dog.

So I’m looking for some suggestions of ways she can wear out the dog – apart from walking it. She is going to try her hardest to walk the dog as often as she can but it may not be every day so we need alternative ideas.

So far I have:

· Scent work around the house (toddler can be involved hiding toys etc or herself)

· Fetch in the back yard

· Obedience exercises – teaching a stay on the mat would be especially beneficial

· Interactive toys – kongs, treat balls, food puzzles

Does anyone else have any ideas?

** Disclaimer – this is not a thread about whether or not she should keep the dog. It is purely about ways she can mentally stimulate the dog

How young is young?

If it's 12 month plus maybe they could have the dog wear a backpack on walks and walk next to the stroller.

I also like to throw the meal around the yard. Sometime I would put the dog inside. Put something awesomely smelly in a ziplock bag ( blood, chicken stock etc) when I get outside pierce a hole in the bag and leave a scent trail, and leave her meal along the trail. Then let the dog out of the house.. So much fun.

I played hide the kibble inside too.

Aussie Dog toys

Like these

Maybe a second hand dog walker, you can sometimes find them on gumtree from as cheap as $150

I like your ideas.

Would she consider hiring someone to walk her dog maybe once a week for a longer time than she can manage? I know it's only once a week, but maybe that would be ok to tire her out for that day and maybe the following day?

Following on from Harley's idea, is there another foster carer close by who might be taking a dog to a dog park and could take this one too, even if it is just once a week? If her rescue group has a coordinator maybe she could raise this issue with them as it seems a shame to move the dog if all it needs is a little more exercise and stimulation.

Little Gifts my understanding was that they owned the dog from a rescue background, not that they were fostering it.

Hiding food is great mental work in our house, really helps. As far as physically tiring stuff my kelpie will play fetch all day so I taught her to put the ball straight in to my hand and when i was heavily pregnant and my children were babies i could just sit in the yard and throw the ball.

-Freeze bones/treats/chicken stock in a 2L icecream container for an outdoor treat.

-Tie up a tug toy in a sturdy tree.

-Peanut butter in a food reward toy, room temp/frozen

I'd also see if there are dog walkers or maybe a responsible neighborhood friend who might be able to help out since getting the dog out of the yard is still going to be important :)

Little Gifts my understanding was that they owned the dog from a rescue background, not that they were fostering it.

Hiding food is great mental work in our house, really helps. As far as physically tiring stuff my kelpie will play fetch all day so I taught her to put the ball straight in to my hand and when i was heavily pregnant and my children were babies i could just sit in the yard and throw the ball.

Whoopsie! Clearly not paying attention!

I second the trick training :) And the other ideas are all great too.

I also wiggle around Denikis tug toy on the floor and make him chase it, recently tied it to a rope so it was easier for me, and he loves it. Gets him tired faster than fetch does, and dont need a large space to do it!

He has to sit and wait for me to release him to chase it though, otherwise he gets too excited.