Bladder Stones

Has anyone on here have any experience with bladder stones in dogs? A friend of mine has a dog with both Struvite and Calcium Oxalate stones. He is getting operated on Wednesday and she is looking at holistic foods to stop them from reoccuring

My old mini schnauzer had them a lot in her life. There is a Hills diet they recommend but pretty sure it was only the tin version that was the go. It may have been w/d but you would need to check on this. I am not a big fan, but if you run out of options please look into it.

I was told to cut out bones from her diet as the calcium can be a cause.

In the end we just fed her normally and she would pass them, on occasions she had UTIs which were pretty easy to clear up. We would do a dentals and expressing on the crystals/stones at the same time in the mid to latter years

At the time with my old girl, I wasn't on the internet and there are probably some great recipes available to make your own food up.

My old mini schnauzer had them a lot in her life. There is a Hills diet they recommend but pretty sure it was only the tin version that was the go. It may have been w/d but you would need to check on this. I am not a big fan, but if you run out of options please look into it.

I was told to cut out bones from her diet as the calcium can be a cause.

In the end we just fed her normally and she would pass them, on occasions she had UTIs which were pretty easy to clear up. We would do a dentals and expressing on the crystals/stones at the same time in the mid to latter years

At the time with my old girl, I wasn't on the internet and there are probably some great recipes available to make your own food up.

Thank you, will keep looking. I might have to resort to google lol..

Anky

Before I got Penny she was bought by a woman who wanted a registered Westie for breeding, the woman went to see her with the plan to buy her, she saw that Penny was in dreadful condition...sores, hair missing plus other problems. She bought Penny then headed off to the vet, got her on a health-plan, built up her health then got her desexed. Then Penny got crook again and kidney stones was diagnosed, these were removed.

Due to tragic circumstances with Penny (and Mac's) owner I ended up with them both.

I phoned Penny's vet shortly after buying her to get some info on her medical history, I talked to the nurse and was told about the kidney stones, she checked with Penny's vet and I was advised to avoid all red meat as a preventative measure...just stick to chicken, fish (I do feed her turkey).

I feed 90% raw incl vegies and also mix in non-pasteurised apple cider vinegar

So far she has had no recurrence and I have had her since 2008

I hope this helps

Edited by Boronia

Has anyone on here have any experience with bladder stones in dogs? A friend of mine has a dog with both Struvite and Calcium Oxalate stones. He is getting operated on Wednesday and she is looking at holistic foods to stop them from reoccuring

My rescue Border Collie had a huge bladder stone removed just before I got him about two and a half years ago. He was put on Royal Canin S/O and medication but he didn't like it much so vet said I could add a little meat. I gradually weaned him off all medication and onto a raw diet and all his urine tests have come back clear.

Before I got Penny she was bought by a woman who wanted a registered Westie for breeding, the woman went to see her with the plan to buy her, she saw that Penny was in dreadful condition...sores, hair missing plus other problems. She bought Penny then headed off to the vet, got her on a health-plan, built up her health then got her desexed. Then Penny got crook again and kidney stones was diagnosed, these were removed.

Due to tragic circumstances with Penny (and Mac's) owner I ended up with them both.

I phoned Penny's vet shortly after buying her to get some info on her medical history, I talked to the nurse and was told about the kidney stones, she checked with Penny's vet and I was advised to avoid all red meat as a preventative measure...just stick to chicken, fish (I do feed her turkey).

I feed 90% raw incl vegies and also mix in non-pasteurised apple cider vinegar

So far she has had no recurrence and I have had her since 2008

I hope this helps

Hi Boronia - this is the advice given to ALL Dalmatian owners as Dals are all genetically prone to developing urate stones. What you have been given is a low purine diet - I'm not sure if you are aware but high purine foods also include tuna and organ meat, particularly liver, Brewers yeast and, would you believe it, oysters :laugh: Some vegetables are moderate in purines. I am glad Penny has had no more recurrences.

Just to fill in the blanks for the OP as there are several different types of urinary stones so it's important to have the right treatment. Some treatments change the pH of the urine and can cause problems in the other direction i.e. acid vs basic

I have a little pug who has had surgery twice to remove stones blocking her urethra. She came to me around 4-5 years ago now after the second I operation. We've not had a crystal or stone since. She developed struvites.

When she first came in to my rescue she repeatedly had crystals and infections. We put her on long term antibiotics (from memory it was 8 weeks or so worth!) after taking a sample direct from her bladder to ensure we hit the right antibiotic.

She has since only need fed Prescriptives cd kibble. I add a little fresh meat or sardines for flavour but nothing else. I encourage her to drink by giving her a warm broth every morning made from the juice from the meat I cook for my other dog, yoghurt mixed with water or pet milk mixed with water.

We've not had a crystal or infection since.