Diarrhoea Issue

Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been probably done to death. What you folks do with this situation?

Stella has had an upset tummy for 3 days now. The first 2 weren't very severe, just slightly loose stool. I starved her for almost 24 hours then gave her a small of steamed rice & chicken last night. My OH gave her a very small roo treat (against my wishes) & this morning she is worst then yesterday & the roo treat came out exactly the same way it went in. So she's not digesting anything :( slightly mucusy & very loose.

I had to give her a tiny bit of steamed chicken this morning, as it is the only way I am able to give Stella her medication which she has to have 3 times a day. I have been giving her some Protexin & some Slippery Elm to try & settle her tummy down as well.

Must admit I am starting to worry as this has been going on a bit long for my liking now :( Trip to the Vets be advisable you think??? What would they do to help her???She isn't showing any other signs of being unwell & still has a ravenous appetite. Typical lively Stella.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

They'll probably check her stools for parasites etc, and if there are any she'll need specific medication. They'd give her fluids if she needs them, but it sounds like she's still pretty perky. It does seem like it's dragging on a bit long, and might not resolve by itself. I'd see the vet - hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's causing it so you can treat and start recovering. Hope she improves soon!

Good thinking VM & thank you. They are such a worry when they get sick aren't they? They seem to go down so quickly sometimes. She is such a sweet little girl. Breaks my heart to see her unwell & not to feed her :(

Got an appoint. this arvo CN. OH has to help me with her. Not a fan of the Vets so its a 2 person job.

Thanks for your concern.

Excellent BC. Please update us after you've seen the vet. I hope it's something easily fixed.

It's a PITA when one of our dogs is stressed out by vet visits. Makes it very stressful for you too.

You could always ask if they'd test the stool sample without you having to take her with you? Then you could take her back if they really need to see her for some reason?

Yes, I second this idea. Pick up a sample jar from a pharmacy for the stool sample. Drop it to your vet for testing prior to your appointment. I've done this a few times.

I had to cancel our Vet appointment because hubby had to work back. On a good note though I didn't give Stella anything to eat since last night. So I just gave her a small amount of streamed chic & rice. I doubled her dose of Protexin today. She seems to be coping with that thus far. Not needing to rush to the loo. I'm going to keep a close eye on her tonight. Touch wood she is on the mend. Otherwise it's off to the Vets tomorow arvo.

Yes, I second this idea. Pick up a sample jar from a pharmacy for the stool sample. Drop it to your vet for testing prior to your appointment. I've done this a few times.

Also, my Vet told me that doing a home sterlising job on a glass jar is OK the majority of times when a dog presents with diarrhoea.

He based that on a dog having diarrhoea all night and a specimen being needed for checking. It saved a trip to purchase one,return home, etc etc.

Or you can buy the urine specimen jars from the chemist and have them at home as part of the First Aid kit.

Edited by VizslaMomma

I'll be phoning the Vet first thing this morning. Unfortunately Stella, although not needing to go to the toilet for 10 hours after I feed her a small amount of boiled rice & chicken. She did relieve herself at 4.30 this morning. Very watery stool . Then again at 6am with the same :( Errrrr poor girl.

For any interest folks. Just got back from vet visit with Stella this morning. Vet put her on Antibiotic's for a fortnight & a soluble tablet that I have to syringe into her mouth half hour before meals to help settle her tummy. Plus a strong probiotic. If no improve within 48 hours, more tests to be done. Stella was given a clean bill of health other wise. Which was great. So hopefully her tummy will start to settle now :crossfingers:

I was thrilled with her behavior though. She didn't put a foot wrong, even when she was being examined by the Vet. She even walked in. Amazing !!!! Considering usually it is a 2 person job & you'd have to carry her. Also it's kaos from the time you get her through the front door, till you leave. Last time I took her on my own she tried to jump through a closed window in the waiting room. So huge improvements there :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yay for Stella - a real star performance by the sound of it. How nice for both yo and her that she was able to be calm at the vets - that's huge. Fingers crossed the meds help settle her poor tummy down.