Which Bones?

Weight bearing bones are not suitable for dogs as they can splinter & become choking hazzards.

Could pls someone explain what 'weight bearing bones' and 'chicken marylands' are? My English-German dictionary is here not helpful at all..... :D

I've started raw feeding as well and I'm always keen on reading what others are feeding.

BTW: Did someone find tripe in WA/Perth? Checked with my butcher and he told me that tripe is being exported overseas, they hardly see any.... :confused: Is that possibly true?

Cheers

Birgit

Yeah, 'raw green tripe' is hard to find. Butchers are apparently not allowed to sell or even have raw green tripe on the premises due to health regulations. You can easily get tripe (white), but the white stuff is bleached and no good as all of the good stuff has been removed. I buy the K9 Naturals Raw Green Tripe (fresh frozen) from Petbarn. It is around $12 per kilo bag.

A local shop called "Pet Meat Suppies" looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they had any and flatly said that you can't buy it!?! There is a pet meat butcher in Bayswater that gets it in though - I will try and find the number.

Hi,

thanks for your info. Appreciated! Would be great to get the info abut the pet meat butcher in Bayswater. My google search didn't come up with anything.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we feed kangaroo tail , any rib bones ..spines/ribs/necks from sheep/goats. Turkey wings/necks , rabbits (whole)

Kangaroo tail with flesh/sinew is a wonderful thing! Nice porous , non shiny/splintery bone ..lots of sinew, & some muscle meat , with a fatty pad . SO much exercise for all teeth - ripping/tearing/gnawing and crunching :)

Edited by persephone

Weight bearing bones are not suitable for dogs as they can splinter & become choking hazzards.

Could pls someone explain what 'weight bearing bones' and 'chicken marylands' are? My English-German dictionary is here not helpful at all..... :D

I've started raw feeding as well and I'm always keen on reading what others are feeding.

BTW: Did someone find tripe in WA/Perth? Checked with my butcher and he told me that tripe is being exported overseas, they hardly see any.... :confused: Is that possibly true?

Cheers

Birgit

Yeah, 'raw green tripe' is hard to find. Butchers are apparently not allowed to sell or even have raw green tripe on the premises due to health regulations. You can easily get tripe (white), but the white stuff is bleached and no good as all of the good stuff has been removed. I buy the K9 Naturals Raw Green Tripe (fresh frozen) from Petbarn. It is around $12 per kilo bag.

A local shop called "Pet Meat Suppies" looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they had any and flatly said that you can't buy it!?! There is a pet meat butcher in Bayswater that gets it in though - I will try and find the number.

Hi,

thanks for your info. Appreciated! Would be great to get the info abut the pet meat butcher in Bayswater. My google search didn't come up with anything.

Hmmm, I can't find it now either. This place does it though -

http://www.thepetchef.com.au/setup/menus/dogs

... just came back from the local pet meat supplier and they have horse neck! Gunna get me some of that next time as the freezer is now full with frozen roo tail, whole sand whiting, lamb necks and beef necks! Ronin is one lucky dog :laugh:

I know it's just meat ...but I would find feeding horse very very hard ... :(

I know what you mean, I couldn't eat it myself but many Europeans do and I believe that it is good to vary the meat sources when on a PMRD. I am pretty sure that the pet stuff is from feral sources. Feral Camel would be one I would one type I would like to get if possible.

... just came back from the local pet meat supplier and they have horse neck! Gunna get me some of that next time as the freezer is now full with frozen roo tail, whole sand whiting, lamb necks and beef necks! Ronin is one lucky dog :laugh:

.. my husband is already complaining that the dogfood take toooo much space in our freezer..in addition he is now all the time asking: is this for the dogs or can I use it. :laugh:

...and he complaints that I take more care about the dogs diet than ours... which is NOT true... I swear :D

.. my husband is already complaining that the dogfood take toooo much space in our freezer..in addition he is now all the time asking: is this for the dogs or can I use it. :laugh:

...and he complaints that I take more care about the dogs diet than ours... which is NOT true... I swear :D

:thumbsup: Yep, I got in trouble for buying a kilo of sand whiting yesterday! I am going to dust off the fishing rods real soon :laugh:

Where do you get roo tail and snapper heads and all those other yummy sounding things? :laugh:

My local butcher is lucky to have chicken necks, he will order in frames for me though.

(my local Coles/IGA stocks nothing in the way of dog bones, they usually have very expensive lamb shanks and that's it)

Where do you get roo tail and snapper heads and all those other yummy sounding things? :laugh:

My local butcher is lucky to have chicken necks, he will order in frames for me though.

(my local Coles/IGA stocks nothing in the way of dog bones, they usually have very expensive lamb shanks and that's it)

I get the snapper heads from the local fish monger, $3 per kg! Roo tails from Pet food supplier $5 for a bag.

I know it's just meat ...but I would find feeding horse very very hard ... :(

I know what you mean, I couldn't eat it myself but many Europeans do and I believe that it is good to vary the meat sources when on a PMRD. I am pretty sure that the pet stuff is from feral sources. Feral Camel would be one I would one type I would like to get if possible.

More likely the horse ran last in race 5 at Belmont last Saturday :eek:

Staples when we did full raw were chicken frames and turkey drumsticks.

They take forever to eat, and they don't have trouble breaking apart the bone like you would with a weight bearing beef bone.

90% of our stuff was fed frozen too. Limited fridge space for storing meat, plus until I got ikea containers the bags containing the raw always burst.eeew

You need to be careful with camel, if they have been feeding on native pea species the meat can be toxic to dogs, there was an incident a few years ago where a number of dogs died.

You need to be careful with camel, if they have been feeding on native pea species the meat can be toxic to dogs, there was an incident a few years ago where a number of dogs died.

Oh, thanks for that info Diva, sounds like I won't try that one.

They take forever to eat, and they don't have trouble breaking apart the bone like you would with a weight bearing beef bone.

90% of our stuff was fed frozen too. Limited fridge space for storing meat, plus until I got ikea containers the bags containing the raw always burst.eeew

I don't know what a normal time is, but my GR eats both of those in about twenty minutes, the frames faster than the drumsticks of course, and that's chewing properly too, I sit and watch. I'm at a loss as to what to give her next that takes a little longer but isn't too big and hard. Turkey drumsticks used to take an hour or more, but they go fast these days. Apparently she has a good technique worked out. It seems like as soon as I've given it to her she's back inside wiping her disgusting face on the rugs. :mad

Mind you, she won't touch them frozen, won't even eat at fridge temperature. She leaves them in the sun to ripen first. Maybe that's part of it.

I try to intercept with a face washer (dog use only), and she will stand there and wipe her face into it for me....so it's not all bad, but if I'm not there to catch her on the way back inside, the poor rug cops it.

I don't know what a normal time is, but my GR eats both of those in about twenty minutes, the frames faster than the drumsticks of course, and that's chewing properly too, I sit and watch. I'm at a loss as to what to give her next that takes a little longer but isn't too big and hard. Turkey drumsticks used to take an hour or more, but they go fast these days. Apparently she has a good technique worked out. It seems like as soon as I've given it to her she's back inside wiping her disgusting face on the rugs. :mad

Mind you, she won't touch them frozen, won't even eat at fridge temperature. She leaves them in the sun to ripen first. Maybe that's part of it.

:laugh: I guess forever is 5 minutes vs < 1 hahah..

Frozen or not never seems to really bother them. I used to freeze food into icecream tubs for summer, layer of kibble, water. freeze. a few necks..water freeze.. a bit more kibble.. freeze.

Like a frizen trifle.. Not sure how that will work out with 2 dogs now

I only do lamb shanks. Do any other bulldog owners find I the bones suitable? Anything that gets past the middle teeth just seems to get swallowed whole. Chicken frames get one munch and a swallow.

I will try some if those roo tails. Where do I get them in Sydney?

Lamb flaps and chicken wings here.

Stan is not a caring sharing kinda guy when it comes to food so I only feed bones that can be consumed fairly quickly.

After my old boy having several snapped teeth removed after feeding weight bearing bones I would never feed them again.