Should I Bother Asking The Vet About This?

So, as some of you may know my dog Digby is having palliative care for Lymphoma.

The Vet put him on a tapered dose of Prednisone. He started out on 100mg and that was decreased, and he is now at the point where he is having 25mg every second day.

However, he has recently got to the point where the days he goes without the Pred he is not doing so well. Days with the Pred he gets a lot of enjoyment from life.

So to me it makes sense to give him prednisone every day. Digby's 'dad' really wants him put on it every day, and is a bit upset I haven't done it yet. I do know of another dog undergoing palliative care for Lymphoma and they take their pred every day.

But should I book a vet appointment to ask them, or should I just do it? I guess I'm worried that they will tell me not to do it :/

When he was diagnosed we were told to expect anywhere from days to 8 weeks. It was six weeks yesterday. I am not trying to give him extra time, just a good time.

:( so sorry that you are going through this. I would take him to see the vet, you'll only regret not doing it if you don't. They will also be able to see how far down hill he's gone and hopefully advise you when the time is right. When it's right in front of you everyday you don't see how far they've gone (well you do but are most likely in denial) better to have fresh eyes. I hope the last days/weeks are the best that they can be.

thanks guys :) It is helpful to have a sounding board from people on Dol, for reasons that you stated Justrace. Obviously I am keeping a close eye on things and I know things are close, I really do.

On days he has his pred he can go for walks, and gets a lot of enjoyment from food, and loves his cuddles. But not so much on the days he's without pred. This has only been the case for the last 2 days he's missed having pred.

So I have called the Vet office and his vet is going to give me a call back in a little while and I'll see what she says.

If an extra tablet will make him more comfortable it will be totally worth it!

sorry for the brief post before - I was trying to type while eating lunch :)

I've seen a few of your posts, and I'm so impressed at your commitment to make the most of every single day you have left with Digby - I hope I can have that sort of composure and grace when the time comes. Am thinking of you.

Well I'm very happy, his vet has given us the go-ahead to have him on the tablets everyday :)

Thanks aliwake, but to be honest I just couldn't bear the thought of being heartbroken while I still have him here. I'm not saying I haven't felt sad or upset at all during this time, but it seems like when I feel like that I'm wasting the precious time I have left with him. Plus it's so much fun spoiling him, he's very spoilable :)

I am sorry you are going through this Raineth. I didn't know Digby is in palliative care.

I would have given the extra tablet anyway. You have had him long enough to know what he needs and what he doesn't. As you say, it's all about quality of life now and if a tablet is going to give him that, so be it. I would "convince" the vet later :)

I hope you two get to spend some really good quality time together. These will be really precious memories later. Are you taking lots and lots of photos?

Big hugs to you and Digby.

Well I'm very happy, his vet has given us the go-ahead to have him on the tablets everyday :)

Thanks aliwake, but to be honest I just couldn't bear the thought of being heartbroken while I still have him here. I'm not saying I haven't felt sad or upset at all during this time, but it seems like when I feel like that I'm wasting the precious time I have left with him. Plus it's so much fun spoiling him, he's very spoilable :)

Oh well done for (again) going that extra mile for Mr Digby. I was thinking of you both earlier today.

This is giving you both a continuing of your special bond. That is priceless. You need never think 'if only'.....

Hold your head high, and let your heart spoil the darling.

HUGS

:love:

So sorry Raineth. I know from experience how desperately we want to do the right thing when palliatively caring for our dogs.

Quality of life is what counts. Glad you're vet has given you the go ahead to do what you instinctively knew was best for your dog.

:hug::hug::hug: to you. You needs lots of them when doing what you're doing for your dog right now.

I'm gal the vet gave you the go ahead.

Hopefully Digby will be much happier every day now. Just remember you may see an increase in side effects again though. Possibly just wanting more yogurt and ice-cream! smile.gif

You have a fantastic attitude Raineth, Digby is truly blessed to have you (and you him :) )

I hope the extra Pred gives you both some more quality time.

:grouphug: to you all

Thanks aliwake, but to be honest I just couldn't bear the thought of being heartbroken while I still have him here. I'm not saying I haven't felt sad or upset at all during this time, but it seems like when I feel like that I'm wasting the precious time I have left with him. Plus it's so much fun spoiling him, he's very spoilable :).

Well I know its only been a few days... but I am really pleased to say that Digby is doing so well on his increased medication :thumbsup:

He just has more of a spark about him now :).

Good news about the medication. Cortisone is magic and finding the right dosage is important.

Your commitment and knowledge of yourself and Digby are lessons we can all learn.

Thank you.