Can Dogs Have Distilled Water?

Doesn't tap water have fluoride and other nasty stuff like bacteria in it?

Depends on whether you think fluoride is "nasty". It's certainly done wonders for the teeth of generations of kids. You can always just get a Brita filter jug.

I've got one. I just need to buy a new filter :)

eta

Oh I remember what happened... I washed it in the dishwasher and now the lid doesn't fit properly. I have to buy a new one.

Edited by Queen Maeby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a Britta bench top filter & cooler. Cost about $100, 3 filters (last 4-6 weeks each) cost around $25 at the supermarket. The cooler part is very unreliable so we pretty much replace it every 18 months - 2 years under warranty which is a pain but better than forking out to buy a new one LOL

Interestingly with our pups we have seen a huge upswing in the retention of baby teeth, especially canine teeth, in the last 10 or so years when we moved from rural properties to properties with town supply water. our two latest litters we used tank water (rain water) for all puppy drinking water right from the time they could investigate mum's water bowl. The oldest of the two litters are now 4.5 months old and their teeth are falling out and chipped/broken like they used to be in the 'good old days' LOL.

Co-incidence?

I recently an undersink water filter to my place...

If you already have a standard flick-mixer fitted... You probably can too..

Total cost of filter, housing,two adapters, one extension hose and that white plumbing tape was $70.00 all up...

Treats 40 litres a day for a year in terms of volume.

Filters are 19.00 ea and last 6 months... 5 Micron and improves taste and odor..

Takes 20-30 Mins or so to fit..

Waters is much better than the Bris Tap water, but the same convenience...

Refill bottles, Kettle, cooking...

Interestingly with our pups we have seen a huge upswing in the retention of baby teeth, especially canine teeth, in the last 10 or so years when we moved from rural properties to properties with town supply water. our two latest litters we used tank water (rain water) for all puppy drinking water right from the time they could investigate mum's water bowl. The oldest of the two litters are now 4.5 months old and their teeth are falling out and chipped/broken like they used to be in the 'good old days' LOL.

Co-incidence?

That's very interesting!

Total cost of filter, housing,two adapters, one extension hose and that white plumbing tape was $70.00 all up...

Filters are 19.00 ea and last 6 months... 5 Micron and improves taste and odor..

Thanks, I will investigate this :)

I have never drank any town/scheme water, totally disgusting. The town water down here is terrible and smells much like the indoor pool when you walk in.

We have rain water and I have had it since birth.

I can smell the chlorine when I have a shower.

Thanks, I will investigate this :)

No problem - Just head into the local irrigation shop...

Heres some pics to show them what you had in mind and you can go from there..

Its a popular size cartridge, with even higher filtration levels available...

This is the sticker of the cartridge wrapper, I stuck it on the cupboard...

20140626_172342.jpg

Linky

Filter housing....

20140626_171658.jpg

Linky

And if you have/are a handiperson, they are allowed to do this type of plumbing as the flickmixer should be fitted after a stopcock....

So changing the filters is breeze too...

Pleasure...

BTW, not saying that you aern't... But if you are not up with the lingo that the plunbers and irrigators talk, Just take some nice in focus pics of the underneath of your sink. more the merrier.. Should turn into a much easier experience for you if you require that little bit of help... I knew a bit about plumbing, and I could have done with the pics too....

Pleasure...

BTW, not saying that you aern't... But if you are not up with the lingo that the plunbers and irrigators talk, Just take some nice in focus pics of the underneath of your sink. more the merrier.. Should turn into a much easier experience for you if you require that little bit of help... I knew a bit about plumbing, and I could have done with the pics too....

That's a good idea, thanks :)

Bottled water is terrible for the environment - even if you recycle the bottles.

Absolutely.

Plus my dogs would rather drink from puddles and creeks than their bowl, let alone filtered water.

Seems a huge waste of money, resources and time to buy bottled.

Bottled water is terrible for the environment - even if you recycle the bottles.

Absolutely.

Plus my dogs would rather drink from puddles and creeks than their bowl, let alone filtered water.

Seems a huge waste of money, resources and time to buy bottled.

agree - ours always get river water ..straight from the Murray - same as what we use to wash in and cook in -we drink rainwater . When I visit Adelaide tho , I buy cask water as the taste of the tap water is foul :(

our dogs will drink out of any puddle , etc .

• 4 weeks later...

I would also consider the fact that distilled water has a pH of 5. Tap water is approx 6.5 and is more suitable unless you are deliberately trying to reduce your dog's pH levels.

Hmmm, not sure about that. PH in distilled water should be neutral at 7 sometimes 6.8. My tap water is 7.6 - RO/DI water should also be 7. I regularly test my water as I keep a highly sensitive (and expensive) species of fresh water shrimp. I test manual and electronic. All of the aquaria science geeks don't use their RO/DI units for drinking water as it depletes your body of minerals and strangely enough it is unpleasant to drink.

Either way I don't think it is suitable for drinking unless the minerals you need are replaced. You can get RO units that will take out certain chemicals and minerals that are undesirable while leaving it good to drink.

Filter jugs like Brita remove some of the heavy metals and chlorine and keep the fluoride (which is a good thing in my opinion)

edit - typo, bloody auto correct

Edited by Yonjuro

I would also consider the fact that distilled water has a pH of 5. Tap water is approx 6.5 and is more suitable unless you are deliberately trying to reduce your dog's pH levels.

Hmmm, not sure about that. PH in distilled water should be neutral at 7 sometimes 6.8. My tap water is 7.6 - RO/DI water should also be 7. I regularly test my water as I keep a highly sensitive (and expensive) species of fresh water shrimp. I test manual and electronic. All of the aquaria science geeks don't use their RO/DI units for drinking water as it depletes your body of minerals and strangely enough it is unpleasant to drink.

Either way I don't think it is suitable for drinking unless the minerals you need are replaced. You can get RO units that will take out certain chemicals and minerals that are undesirable while leaving it good to drink.

Filter jugs like Brita remove some of the heavy metals and chlorine and keep the fluoride (which is a good think in my opinion)

Maybe the pH of distilled water is different depending on the supplier and intended use. Our supplier only deals with commercial businesses (manufacturers, vets, surgeries) and we use litmus and electronic to measure and the pH is always right on 5.

Edited by essentialdog