Can Dogs Have Distilled Water?

I would also consider the fact that distilled water has a pH of 5. Tap water is approx 6.5 and is more suitable unless you are deliberately trying to reduce your dog's pH levels.

Hmmm, not sure about that. PH in distilled water should be neutral at 7 sometimes 6.8. My tap water is 7.6 - RO/DI water should also be 7. I regularly test my water as I keep a highly sensitive (and expensive) species of fresh water shrimp. I test manual and electronic. All of the aquaria science geeks don't use their RO/DI units for drinking water as it depletes your body of minerals and strangely enough it is unpleasant to drink.

Either way I don't think it is suitable for drinking unless the minerals you need are replaced. You can get RO units that will take out certain chemicals and minerals that are undesirable while leaving it good to drink.

Filter jugs like Brita remove some of the heavy metals and chlorine and keep the fluoride (which is a good think in my opinion)

Maybe the pH of distilled water is different depending on the supplier and intended use. Our supplier only deals with commercial businesses (manufacturers, vets, surgeries) and we use litmus and electronic to measure and the pH is always right on 5.

I don't doubt you especially with your background. I simply don't understand why they would produce water that is acidic and not neutral. What water would you then use to calibrate the electronic devices?

Edit - typo again

Edited by Yonjuro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne has some of the best tap water in the world.

I'd not bother to use bottled water for a dog (or for myself at home in Canberra). Half the time what you are getting is not better than tap quality anyway.

Up to you but I can think of better things to spend my money on.

Half the time it is tap water. The other half, you're missing out on the fluoride added to help protect your teeth. Good luck to Maeby's teeth in the future, they're gonna need it.

I would also consider the fact that distilled water has a pH of 5. Tap water is approx 6.5 and is more suitable unless you are deliberately trying to reduce your dog's pH levels.

Hmmm, not sure about that. PH in distilled water should be neutral at 7 sometimes 6.8. My tap water is 7.6 - RO/DI water should also be 7. I regularly test my water as I keep a highly sensitive (and expensive) species of fresh water shrimp. I test manual and electronic. All of the aquaria science geeks don't use their RO/DI units for drinking water as it depletes your body of minerals and strangely enough it is unpleasant to drink.

Either way I don't think it is suitable for drinking unless the minerals you need are replaced. You can get RO units that will take out certain chemicals and minerals that are undesirable while leaving it good to drink.

Filter jugs like Brita remove some of the heavy metals and chlorine and keep the fluoride (which is a good think in my opinion)

Maybe the pH of distilled water is different depending on the supplier and intended use. Our supplier only deals with commercial businesses (manufacturers, vets, surgeries) and we use litmus and electronic to measure and the pH is always right on 5.

I don't doubt you especially with your background. I simply don't understand why they would produce water that is acidic and not neutral. What water would you then use to calibrate the electronic devices?

Edit - typo again

Deionized! water is 7 both at the labs at uni and at work. Water should be neutral, but things like oxygen change it.

Edited by LisaCC

Edit - typo again

Deionized! water is 7 both at the labs at uni and at work. Water should be neutral, but things like oxygen change it.

Yep, I pump in CO2 to lower the PH in aquaria for the species I keep and keep the plants healthy. I also add minerals into the RO/DI appropriate to the species. If I use tap water (dechlorinated) then I have to use much more CO2 to get the PH to 6 (required for the shrimp). O2 to raise the PH. I was just surprised to read the comment above about distilled water being PH 5 - this is quite acidic to my limited knowledge and would certainly kill most fish :eek:

Its all a bit off topic but in my opinion as someone who is constantly monitoring water for a whole host of parameters for KH/GH to TDS, copper and PH, I have no problems in using tap water to drink for the family. However we do use a Brita filter in a jug just because we prefer the taste and it doesn't remove fluoride which I am all for, for teeth health.

Edited by Yonjuro

Thanks for that Yongjuro - I've been thinking of buying my pensioner mother a Brita jug as she buys water to drink as she hates tap water (personally I don't mind tap water but she does).

Do you find the Brita jugs works well and are the filters easy and economical to replace? She likes it on her bench so I was thinking of getting her the Optimax which takes Maxtra cartridges?

TIA.

Edit - typo again

We use a pH 7 buffer solution to calibrate.

Thanks for that Yongjuro - I've been thinking of buying my pensioner mother a Brita jug as she buys water to drink as she hates tap water (personally I don't mind tap water but she does).

Do you find the Brita jugs works well and are the filters easy and economical to replace? She likes it on her bench so I was thinking of getting her the Optimax which takes Maxtra cartridges?

TIA.

I think they work pretty well, we definitely change the filters far later than what they recommend - usually every 2 months or so and have not noticed any deterioration in the taste and we would fill the 2 litres up at least once a day. I would certainly recommend them over buying bottled water.

The filters are easy to replace, I recommend the biggest jug that your mum can comfortably lift. Keep at eye out at kmart as they often have them on sale.

1406087230[/url]' post='6529800']
1406082212[/url]' post='6529734']

TIA.

I think they work pretty well, we definitely change the filters far later than what they recommend - usually every 2 months or so and have not noticed any deterioration in the taste and we would fill the 2 litres up at least once a day. I would certainly recommend them over buying bottled water.

The filters are easy to replace, I recommend the biggest jug that your mum can comfortably lift. Keep at eye out at kmart as they often have them on sale.

Thanks tons!!! smile.gif

Strictly speaking you are right when you say distilled water has a pH of 7. What happens is when distilled water is exposed to air, carbon dioxide penetrates the water and creates carbonic acid which lowers the pH.

Thanks for your comments and yeah it is the bane of my life :D CO2 to Carbonic acid for the flora, O2 for the fauna, throw in KH/GH and TDS into the mix and ya get one hell of a water parameter roller- coaster! I have even bought RO/DI water, tested it at the shop, get home in summer and the ph has spiked :confused: :D

1406087230[/url]' post='6529800']
1406082212[/url]' post='6529734']

TIA.

Thanks tons!!! smile.gif

:thumbsup: You are most welcome :)

Strictly speaking you are right when you say distilled water has a pH of 7. What happens is when distilled water is exposed to air, carbon dioxide penetrates the water and creates carbonic acid which lowers the pH.

Thanks for your comments and yeah it is the bane of my life :D CO2 to Carbonic acid for the flora, O2 for the fauna, throw in KH/GH and TDS into the mix and ya get one hell of a water parameter roller- coaster! I have even bought RO/DI water, tested it at the shop, get home in summer and the ph has spiked :confused: :D

Yeah it's a tricky thing. You can boost it with home ingredients like bicarb but I don't think it would be healthy for your fish! Alot of manufacturers for pet products add triethanolamine (smells like bleach) which horrifies me. Anyway I think i'm starting to go off topic!

Yeah it's a tricky thing. You can boost it with home ingredients like bicarb but I don't think it would be healthy for your fish! Alot of manufacturers for pet products add triethanolamine (smells like bleach) which horrifies me. Anyway I think i'm starting to go off topic!

LOL, yep it is a 20+ page topic on a dedicated fish forum :laugh:

I live on acerage and solely on tank water. 30 minutes from Brisbane CBD and we don't have town supply. Under the kitchen sink we have a carbon filter. The rest of the house, stables and milking shed is not filtered.We only recently replaced an original old rusty iron tank from the old milking days with a new poly one.

One thing I find with most people with tanks, is they dont have a solid cover over the inlet screen to prevent light from entering the tank.

Local current affairs recently did a story up here on suburban tanks and they had some pretty aawfu findings on the pollutants in suburban water tanks. They had banned suburban water tanks for awhile because of disease and also pollution build up in them. It was not until the near drought before the 2011 floods here that they allowed them to be reinstalled into suburban blocks - and then they can only be used to top of pools, gardens etc. Certainly NOT for drinking.

We have leaf guards on all our downpipes and no trees overhanging the roof to encourage birds to go up there to decrease the amount of poop ending up in our water supply. We also have to regularly clean gutters etc and have first flush systems on the tanks.

I can say, even buying water here when we have had to, you certainly know the difference. All you smell for a week or two is chlorine. We only have to buy water twice a year in very dry times and we eceed what most people on town supply pay in water rates.

I have two troughs outside fed by the tank water, the dogs prefer to drink the (current smelly) dam water used in the clams that are permanently outside.

The only time I buy bottled water for the dogs is if I am travelling and cannot take or run out of my own water. Only for upset stomachs and all that. We all get used to our "local bugs" in our water supply.

When I did live in suburbia - we had a Brita on the bench top. worked well as we had horrible tasting town water. Probably from the old rusted pipes in the area. The inherrent problem though of selecting a too fine a filter is yes it removes all the yucky taste, and that can include the taste that the water is not quite right - even for us on tank water. It may not remove the bugs, but it removes the taste to alert you the water isn't clean and should not be drunk.