Mac's 12 Month Anniversary - 23 June 2014

westiemum

Just wanted to share that my gorgeous old man Mac, who will be 15 in August, passed his 12 month post unilateral tie-back surgery milestone last Monday. Its was 12 months since the worst day of my life and his. Sunday 23 June 2013 at 11 pm he had literally life-saving surgery to correct his paralysed vocal cords which had blocked his airway and sent him into respiratory crisis and me into a completely dark, crazy spin. He was literally suffocating to death. Luckily his regular surgeon came in on his day off to see another patient at the Anzac Highway Emergency Hospital, saw Mac and his X-rays and swung into action at 11 pm on a Sunday night. Two days later he was home, a new dog. And he's continuing to do really well. He's getting older and frailer as time goes by but he still has great quality of life.

Here he is on Monday - with his new wool blanket - bought specially to celebrate his first re-birthday as these milestones for tie-back dogs are known. Thanks to his marvellous team of team of vets and Richard Savory the surgeon I still have my Mac - and not a day goes past that I'm not grateful.

post-11746-0-14133100-1403778690_thumb.jpg

post-11746-0-35699600-1403778691_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

Here he is on Monday - with his new wool blanket - bought specially to celebrate his first re-birthday as these milestones for tie-back dogs are known. Thanks to the marvellous team of team of vets and Richard Savory the surgeon I still have my Mac - and not a day goes past that I'm not grateful.

post-11746-0-14133100-1403778690_thumb.jpg

post-11746-0-35699600-1403778691_thumb.jpg

What a darling boy! And how handsome with a blue blanket too.

Well Done, Mac for beating the odds.

Hugs and Love

:love::heart::love:

Thank s everyone. Last year I bought myself a warm wool 2nd hand Onkaparinga travel blanket for my bed at the house-sit which is very cold in winter. And you guessed it - his Lordship took it over! So I found another one on eBay and thought great present for him - and me! laugh.gif

Yep QM it is - it has a fringe and is a tartan type check. They come up 2nd hand quite frequently on Ebay cheaply - usually between $25 and $30 + postage. I usually just search 'Onkaparinga rug', I think. And they are lovely and thick and warm and Australian made - it so nice to not be fighting over the only one here!

Yep QM it is - it has a fringe and is a tartan type check. They come up 2nd hand quite frequently on Ebay cheaply - usually between $25 and $30 + postage. I usually just search 'Onkaparinga rug', I think. And they are lovely and thick and warm and Australian made - it so nice to not be fighting over the only one here!

Thanks, they're a good price. I was just checking them out :)

I just have a summer doona and in winter I chuck a woollen blanket on top.

Yep thanks cNr - the time has flown. He really has done well - we've only had one bout of aspiration pneumonia which is great - and since he has been on Zantac I'm hoping it was his last.

Edited by westiemum

Aww, how cute is he... :love:

ETA: what an amazing vet you have! Thank goodness he came in when he did. :thumbsup:

Thanks Poochmad. I think he's just the cutest thing too. And yes all his vets are amazing - Richard his surgeon has operated on Mac three times - the first time was a particularly difficult ACL repair, the second a complete left ear ablation and then the tie-back... he's my go to for all vet surgeries - he's done three marvellous jobs on Mac who is so good because of him and the follow-up from his other vets - I'm really lucky to have such a good team and not have to worry if any of my guys need treatment or surgery. smile.gif

:party: Happy Re Birthday darling Mac. You are such a sweet ol'fella. Almost 15 & going strong. Well done to you & mum for taking such good care of you. Love your new blanket. Blue is definitely your colour darling boy :)

Thanks all - I'm genuinely grateful for everyday I have with him. But he is getting frailer so is needing as much supervision as possible. His earlier aspiration pneumonia episode showed how quickly he can go downhill in a matter of hours - and AP is a killer of old dogs if not caught early - so I breathe much more easily knowing he's being looked after. smile.gif