Creating A Detangling Spray

Some time ago I stumbled over a webpage that had a recommendation for using conditioner as a de-tangling spray, by diluting conditioner and using it in a spray bottle.

Now I can't find the page again.

Can someone please help me out?

let's try again.....

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/homemade-solution-matted-dog-hair-1055.html ( bit wordy)

and this one:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/homemade-detangler-long-hair-dogs-1881.html

this has the ingredients to use & the ratios.

Hope this helps.

:)

http://pets.thenest.com/make-own-dog-fur-detangling-spray-11715.html

Edited by VizslaMomma

Totally off topic LOL, but I was talking about you yesterday, Kamuzz, telling Brandiandwe about when you fostered King Wally and I took Honey to the airport. I've forgotten all the details now, but will never forget the photo of King Wally reclining on the couch and Honey's beautiful eyes.

I don't know the detangling "recipe" you are asking about, but some time ago the groomer down the road from me gave me a bottle of The Wiggles Dorothy's Dancing Detangler. Obviously with a name like that it is for children but works well on dogs too. :)

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Am writing a toastmaster's speech on "how to groom your dog", and it's harder than I expected. Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

DDD, just went looking for that photo and it may have fallen victim to a computer's hard drive failing :(

Just watch with using Pantene, you will have a build up of silicon.

why would that be an issue with dogs, long chain silicons are an sometimes an issue when it comes to colour developer and hair cuticle but seeing as though dogs don't spend 4 hours at the hairdressers it's unlikely silicon will impact on the evenness of their colour

Am writing a toastmaster's speech on "how to groom your dog", and it's harder than I expected. Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

There are no short cuts or miracles .

Brushing is the best option & is the best option for the dog ,

Getting knots out no matter what product you use hurts like heal & no dog should have to tolerate getting knots pulled out due to a lazy owner .

Detangling products can help BUT there not a easy fix nor do the work on all knots .

Allocating 5/10 mins brushing with the right tools is far easier than spending 30/60 mins trying to get mats out & using all sorts of products

Just watch with using Pantene, you will have a build up of silicon.

Exactly.....and then the coat becomes brittle and then breaks off leaving a very patchy dog.

Bathed all my coated Setters in Pantene for over 20 years never ever had an issue ,i now plenty more that bath there showdos in it with no issues either

Detanglers are essentially dimethicone and cyclomethicone (both silicones) with water and a preservative. I personally don't like silicones firstly because they're synthetic and secondly they can leave a white build up on the coat. Diluting a pantene conditioner would do the same job as a detangler but only dilute it in water as needed or else you will get microbial growth in the water and essentially be spraying your dog with water, bacteria, fungus, yeast & silicones.

The silicones add slip to your dogs coat and aid with brushing out knots but this can also be done just as easily by combining a bit olive oil and water. Just make sure to shake before you use it so the oil and water don't separate. Even if they do it's not harmful to your dog. It will just make their coat a little oily.

I usually use Argan oil mixed with water, it helps the comb go through the hair easier. My three don't get mats but sometimes they get tiny cobwebs which are ouchy

edited as I can't spel proper

Edited by Boronia

I usually use Argan oil mixed with water, it helps the comb go through the hair easier. My three don't get mats but sometimes they get tiny cobwebs which are ouchy

edited as I can't spel proper

That's interesting Boronia. How does the argan oil work for your dogs? I've been looking into the possibility of using argan oil but found that other oils like coconut and olive are also soothing to the skin. I can't find any studies to suggest argan has the same benefits for dogs as it does humans.

Edited by essentialdog