Should People Who Work 7 Hours A Day 5 Days A Week Buy A Puppy?

Stitch

At least someone working full time should have money!

My partner and I are both in full time work and a cheap rental and sometimes it's still hard to make ends meet.

We managed before on part time/ casual / the dole when we had to. But it's not ideal and if a large vet bill had happened we could have been in a lot of trouble.

Your pups, your choice.

If you don't think the dogs you breed can cope in this situation it's best to be honest and upfront with buyers.

I would be honest and upfront with a breeder about my work hours and how I intend make them work with a pup and then it's up to them to decide.

I have to work to provide the level of comfort my dogs have come accustomed to :laugh:

Seriously though, my sister in law hasn't worked a day in her life and her dog wouldn't know what the inside of her house looks like and is fed KFC at times, so I hope breeders look at a person as a whole and don't just dismiss full time workers like myself. My dogs are part of my family and are treated as such.

Agree with everything said here. We are pretty much the opposite on paper of what would be considered 'ideal' (young children, two with behavioural disabilities, full time workers in the past and will be again next year once our youngest starts school, busy lifestyle and renters) but we have two well loved and well adjusted dogs who have proven themselves as wonderful pets and one has done high level obedience and even had a part in a doco and the other is about to complete her training for pet therapy. As far as dogs go they are about as well adjusted as you can get and it really shows that no matter what your lifestyle may be like you get out what you put in to raising and training your dogs.

I worked while i had my kelpie pup. Ihad a great set up for her while i was at work. I organised a neighbour (retired lady) to check, feed and toilet her at lunch. This was until she was old enough to be with the other dogs. Plus all dogs has free range of house and yard.

But when i was home she had mu full attention.

I also feel its mor important how committed the owner is to fulfilling the dogs needs.

However as you have the right tochoose do what you feel comfortable with. If you can find good homes with full time at home owners for all your pups...thats good too.

I've been really lucky to have some time at home over the last few months with my puppy- he's now four and a half months old- and I also have in my care another young dog, three cats and eight horses. As of next month I'm back commuting four days a week 10 hour days. Horror. But it'll work out- it has done before. My dogs are the hardest part ... but there will be someone with them two days a week so they are only alone three days hopefully not consecutively, on those days they come out and feed the horses with me morning and night so get to run around, smell things, eat poo etc. they get quality time all evening before they go to bed. They are a bit needy but they're okay. In the mornings they get put outside with big bones in our 1.8 acre backyard (have access to house through cat door), they have one another, they have space, they have bones and toys. I have to trust that they (especially the puppy) will be okay and not destroy the house.

My dogs are far, far more time consuming than my horses. Which doesn't mean it can't be done, but is something people should take into consideration when they get dogs.

Hasn't this topic been done to death already?

Given you've only been a member here since the start of the year you may want to be a bit more supportive of topics that you have seen before, you'll see it alot more in the future, if they irritate you just don't click into them.

Personally I don't think it's a good thing for my dogs to have access to me 24/7. They need to be able to learn how to self settle and cope with being on their own. It's the same reason I will always separate pups from older dogs, so they can learn to be on their own happily. It isn't nice for a dog to develop separation anxiety or to have an inability to relax and settle if left on their own. If you don't work or only work very limited hours it's harder to ensure your dogs learn to cope being on their own than if you left the house each day for work.

Totally agree huski. I work from home and my dogs have (or had I should say, we are working on it - as you know :)) this problem. Hank especially has a very hard time learning to settle on his own because he is so used to having access to me 24/7. This creates training problems too on top of the whole separation issue.

Quality not quantity I say.

Definitely agree, it is quality not quantity.

I do have my dog at work with me most days but our set up and busy work schedule means the dogs are not actually with us most of the day. It is important for me that my dogs don't have access to me 24/7 even though they are great at being on their own, it makes the times I am with them to train and play with them that bit more special.

When I next get a pup I will also make sure I do not spend a lot of time with it during the day, I do think it is harder if you have the ability to interact and be with them a lot to control how much time they spend with you.

Given you've only been a member here since the start of the year you may want to be a bit more supportive of topics that you have seen before, you'll see it alot more in the future, if they irritate you just don't click into them.

Who died and made you god?

I don't believe anybody died and made anyone God. Sas was making a valid point. No such thing as a topic being done to death when there are new members joining up all the time and new input becomes available. On the other hand, narky and useless comments such as yours need to stop being done to death.

I don't believe anybody died and made anyone God. Sas was making a valid point. No such thing as a topic being done to death when there are new members joining up all the time and new input becomes available. On the other hand, narky and useless comments such as yours need to stop being done to death.

And being condescending to a new member is a-ok? Got it.

And being condescending to a new member is a-ok? Got it.

Perhaps you should refrain from posting considering you seem to be in a bad mood and are not making sense.

I'm in a great mood. Thanks for your concern, though. :)

When I next get a pup I will also make sure I do not spend a lot of time with it during the day, I do think it is harder if you have the ability to interact and be with them a lot to control how much time they spend with you.

So agree. The new puppy is acting like it's a dog-given right to have Momma on tap 24/7.

Powerful ear-plugs work as do not making eye contact with those woeful big golden brown saucers of eyes....

Momma rules, Puppy. Momma *winks*

Lol the irony is beyond amusing.

I seem to recall last time this topic got an airing I suggested that generalisations about quality of dog ownership based on factors like having a full time job were neither useful, nor helpful.

What matters is what adjustments people are prepared to make to their lives to accommodate the needs of a baby puppy.

The fact that someone is home during the day does NOT automatically mean a pup will get more attention. It could just as easily be left outside on its own because "that's where dogs live". Call it an apprenticeship for becoming the animated garden ornament that so many dogs seem to end up as.

Breeders have the right to home their pups as they seem fit but IMO a few more questions about how an owner will cater for a pup sure beat assumptions about fitness based on work requirements.