Crates Are So Cruel ;)

Seriously most dogs love crates if they their use has not been abused by owners. Ours are only in them for shows or for other short periods of time but if one is left up in the house they will get in it very quickly. They are so handy for illness or injury, and of course all young puppies need crate training.

I was considering a crate at first for my husky pup, but decided I didn't really need it. I can see how the dog can find it comfortable IF it's allowed to leave/enter it at will, but once you lock them in it seems a little "put the dog in the cupboard" to me? Instead he's learnt that his bed is on the floor at the end of my bed, and will happily wander to it himself later in the evening. I can't really think of a reason I'd actually need to crate him. Maybe to take him on an aircraft or something but I don't see that as likely. It annoys me seeing people asking questions like "how long can I leave my dog in it's crate". If you don't have time for a dog then don't get a dog ..

I was considering a crate at first for my husky pup, but decided I didn't really need it. I can see how the dog can find it comfortable IF it's allowed to leave/enter it at will, but once you lock them in it seems a little "put the dog in the cupboard" to me? Instead he's learnt that his bed is on the floor at the end of my bed, and will happily wander to it himself later in the evening. I can't really think of a reason I'd actually need to crate him. Maybe to take him on an aircraft or something but I don't see that as likely. It annoys me seeing people asking questions like "how long can I leave my dog in it's crate". If you don't have time for a dog then don't get a dog ..

How is it cruel?

Crates are useful if you need to take your dog to the vet for surgery (eg desexing, injury or tick paralysis if you live in a tick area) - It will be in a crate all day/night with walks for toilet.

I have had dogs have injuries and have needed crate rest for weeks - again not by choice. If she was not crate trained then that would have been a horrible experience. She had to have controlled walks for quite a long time after in injury.

Those with entire bitches/dogs - crates are useful for keeping them separate. We also use crates while showing or competing at various dog sports. I have runs for my bitches for when they are in season - they are locked up for 4 weeks and given a decent run morning and night before being locked back up to ensure no accidental matings occur.

If you are travelling with your pet - some establishments will only allow crated dogs within the accomodation.

If you have a "mat" where for instance your dog will sleep at night - and no facility for it to go outside for toilet for what 6-8 hours. How different is this from a crate where they cannot leave to go outside?

The crate needs to be a positive thing - it is not used as a punishment. Make the crate an enjoyable place to be, like anywhere else - the dog will like being there. The crate also needs to be a suitable size for the size of the dog. Of course - consideration needs to be given for allowing the dog to go to the toilet - just like locking a dog inside without the facility for it to go to the toilet while a person is at work.

I have two crates at home that have the doors permanently open. All my dogs will happily take themselves to the crate when they want their own space or time. This is no different to a mat, or any other designated area for them. If I need to lock them inside for any reason, then they are just as happy to stay there.

Not a crate related question, but where does one buy sheepskin? And how easy is it to wash/keep clean?

We gets ours from a variety of places - but generally 'sheepskin shops' that you see around the place in shopping malls. Not easy to keep clean I wouldn't think for 'normal' dogs, but as mine don't shed and are apparently allergic to rain and mud they stay pretty clean :) We hoover the one the cat has to clean up her hair.

No child was hurt during the taking of this photo :laugh:

:laugh:

It might be worth your time actually reading up on the benefits of crate training. Personally I use them at night as my older two dogs prefer their own personal space while sleeping, they get grumpy if another dog gets too close. I have no idea if Poppy had any crate experience before we got her, but she was put in a comfy crate from the first night we got her and barely had a squeak out of her. Within a week I just had to open the door at bedtime and she would take herself into the crate to sleep quietly all night long.

They can be an invaluable tool if used the correct way, and like Mystiqview said often needed for complete rest for injured dogs. Louis had to have 'crate rest' for a couple of weeks due to a suspected cruciate injury, and as he was acclimatised to the crate already it was not a stressful experience for him - he just relaxed and slept without doing any further damage to himself.

Edited by CrazyCresties

It might be worth your time actually reading up on the benefits of crate training. Personally I use them at night as my older two dogs prefer their own personal space while sleeping, they get grumpy if another dog gets too close. I have no idea if Poppy had any crate experience before we got her, but she was put in a comfy crate from the first night we got her and barely had a squeak out of her. Within a week I just had to open the door at bedtime and she would take herself into the crate to sleep quietly all night long.

They can be an invaluable tool if used the correct way, and like Mystiqview said often needed for complete rest for injured dogs. Louis had to have 'crate rest' for a couple of weeks due to a suspected cruciate injury, and as he was acclimatised to the crate already it was not a stressful experience for him - he just relaxed and slept without doing any further damage to himself.

I have no problems with crates if the dog is comfortable with it, just saying I don't agree with people locking their dogs in them for hours to stop them being destructive or whatever, but I'd assume most people are the same :)

Crates should never be used as punishment.

They can be used as down time ( as in the example above - puppy being destructive). However it's how the puppy is placed in the crate that is key. If the pup is put in the crate and given an acceptable thing to chew while in there - then falls asleep for a few hours.. No issue. Solves a number of issues in one.

The crate is being used to stop the behaviour but it is being done with a positive attitude rather than negative.

As long as the dog has been conditioned to love the crate, shutting the door is usually not an issue. My Border Collies travel in wire crates in the car .. complete with beds and water .. for their and my safety. They are in crates .. soft crates .. when we're staying in dog friendly accommodation and I can't directly supervise them .. e.g. when I'm in bed. They are confined .. soft crate for Kirra, show trolley for Rory, when we're at shows or trials .. again for their safety and comfort. Usually they're shut in for only a few hours at a time, but if we're traveling, it will be overnight.

I do get what you're thinking of .. dogs that might be crated purely for the convenience of the owner, and substantially ignored .. much like keeping a dog isolated in a back yard. But that's not the use that most DOLers would have for crates.

MIne sleep in crates by choice, they travel in a large crate in the back of my car.

I have had dogs have major surgeries requiring crate rest. The fact they are very calm when in there and rehabbing has meant that recovery is much much easier. My dogs can be smack bang in the middle of things but not get knocked, hurt or jump on the lounge etc when they shouldn't.

Of course crating for long hours is irresponsible. And like anything used wisely it is fantastic. Pretty simple really.