Heads Up More Breed Specific Legislation On The Table

Steve

Heads Up

Discussion group has been called and discussion paper is available

Seems to be a pretty good kept secret but Victoria are seriously looking at restricting the breeding of brachycephalic dogs and cats

Cant find he paper on line but if anyone wants a look I can email it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads Up

Discussion group has been called and discussion paper is available

Seems to be a pretty good kept secret but Victoria are seriously looking at restricting the breeding of brachycephalic dogs and cats

Cant find he paper on line but if anyone wants a look I can email it.

do you know what the motivation for this would be?

Quote from the paper - Brachycephalic dogs are those dogs with a wide and short head.3 Brachycephalic breeds include the Pug, French Bulldog, English Bulldog, Boxer, Boston Terrier and Pekingese. Brachycephalic dogs are increasingly popular, two brachycephalic breeds (Pug and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel*) were among the top ten pedigree dog breeds listed in the 2012 Australian National Kennel Club (ANKC) registration statistics.22 Registrations for breeds such as the French Bulldog and Boston Terrier have doubled between 2008 and 2012.22

The significance of the deleterious impact on the health and welfare of brachycephalic head shape is widely supported in the veterinary/welfare literature.

ï‚· In Australia although the exact prevalence of disease associated with brachycephaly is unknown it is likely to be a significant problem owing to the popularity of brachycephalic breeds

Edited by Steve

Seems like a constructive and realistic position from the VIC AVA, though it would be good to see the discussion paper it was written to address.

This is more trait-specific than breed specific, and unlike the usual BS BSL, it addresses real health concerns.

I wish breed clubs and the kennel clubs would take stronger stands to discourage extreme conformations with bad health implications, as opposed to titling flat faced dogs over those with some muzzle. If clubs and judges did more to curb breeding for fashion rather than function, there would be no call for legislative action.

I'd be interested in any material you come across, Julie.

I agree with sandgrubber's comment re: the AVA's response being realistic. There is a need to look at the issue and education would be a key to resolving some of the problems we see in brachycephalics.

Edited by ~Anne~

I would be interested in the paper too thanks Steve. My Cavaliers are considered to be a brachycephalic breed in some quarters.

What?????

Load of tosh.

Think there is becoming a greater need for people to stand to fight this idiocy

:mad

I would be interested in the paper too thanks Steve. My Cavaliers are considered to be a brachycephalic breed in some quarters.

What?????

Load of tosh.

Mesocephalic I think, not brachycephalic.

The term "cephalic" is actually an index used to measure head/skull measurement (width by length). Brachy is short, meso is medium. A Cav would be mesocephalic I believe although I am far from expert on how the measurements are determined.

Edited by ~Anne~

Cavs are one of the breeds cited in the discussion paper for brachy head and syringomyelia.

Personally I cant see how its going to be held back but I dont think its going to happen overnight.

Several problems associated with the whole thing - on one hand the purebred dog world have to be seen to be doing something to address it and so far there isnt much to show. Large consequences for the breeds no matter what comes next. and I do think it will be eventually legislated in Victoria if they continue as they have.

What?????

Load of tosh.

The term "cephalic" is actually an index used to measure head/skull measurement (width by length). Brachy is short, meso is medium. A Cav would be mesocephalic I believe although I am far from expert on how the measurements are determined.

Of course, cavs are savage beasts..... death by licking is so painful from a cav :rofl:

Some Cavaliers are Brachycephalic. I have two Cavaliers, both are registered dogs. One certainly does fit the description of a brachycephalic dog, going by the width/length definition. The other dog has a longer muzzle and does not fit the description of being brachycephalic.

Irrespective of your opinion or mine on whether or not the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a brachycephalic breed it is classified as being so and is definitely in the firing line.

Did you read the reply from The Australian Veterinary Association Ltd? They list the CKCS breed as a brachycephalic breed.

Edited by cavNrott