Suggestions For Breed?

thowra

Hi all

I have been giving it some thought lately and think I would like to have a go at showing a dog. I am after some suggestions on possible breeds that are good for a total beginner!

I love nearly all breeds of dog, but due to issues in my past I don't like the bull breeds, such as staffy etc. I am sorry if that sounds biased but it is due to things that have happens to me by those type breeds.

I currently have a female desexed mini foxie (2yo) so ideally would like a breed that gets on well with other dogs. I would like it to be around medium size, with a short coat.

I am after suggestions at this stage so I can then research breeds further. So hard when there are so many beautiful breeds out there! Lol

Oh and I do intend to go to some dog shows and look at breeds there too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am after something that is a little saner than my mini foxie! She is a nutcase most of the time! Lol

I have teenage kids (aged 14 and 17) but I am the one who will do everything for the dog I get. They will feed if necessary but don't do much else, except snuggle cuddles by the youngest of a night time and also first thing in the morning! Typical teenagers! Lol

Dog will be both inside and outside, dependant on if we are home or not.

Really need to narrow it down a bit more :-)

Some breeds are virtually impossible to break in to, others are so competitive that a new comer has to be prepared to spend a long time coming 2nd.

As you already have a 'mini foxie' my first thought was a Tenterfield.

My suggestion would be that you find a breed you like for what that breed is. Then you show it. IMO buying a dog because you think you might like to show it is putting the cart before the horse.

Couldn't agree more. Your show dog will be a pet most days. Buy the breed you want to live with, whether you show it or not. If you're buying a show prospect as a keeper, if it doesn't make the grade then you'll still hopefully want the dog as a pet anyway.

Then issues like how hard competition etc is fade away. Showing any breed isn't a cake walk - there is almost always competition and if you really love the breed, the fact that it's a hard road to a title won't matter. More competition will only encourage you to become a better handler faster and novices title dogs in EVERY breed.

I don't really care about how easy or hard it is to title a particular breed. I care about the breed I show because I love them. My guess is there is one you will love too.

If you list some of the temperament characteristics you are looking for in a dog, that will make it easier to give you a better steer.

ETA: If you are a Smooth Fox Terrier kind of person, this is a breed that doesn't have the numbers it once had and has mainly older exhibitors. My guess is new blood would be welcomed and I know enough folk that I could steer you towards for advice.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Agree so much my showdogs are my pets first & foremost & you have to want to live with the breed ,

There are so many breeds out there that are suitable but what you want to live with is another thing .

As for showing & medium size,

Do you want a breed that requires running ??

How big is your medium size??

Bigger the dog the bigger the crates you will need .

I agree go to some shows & see what breeds take your fancy ,maybe go through all the DOL breed profiles & look at each breed & see if any jump out as a possibility

I am after something that is a little saner than my mini foxie! She is a nutcase most of the time! Lol

I have teenage kids (aged 14 and 17) but I am the one who will do everything for the dog I get. They will feed if necessary but don't do much else, except snuggle cuddles by the youngest of a night time and also first thing in the morning! Typical teenagers! Lol

Dog will be both inside and outside, dependant on if we are home or not.

Scratch Italian Greyhound then. :laugh:

Why do you want to show?

If you want ribbons, get a good example of a rare breed.

How rude & insulting rare breeds do more than just win default ribbons .

Edited by showdog

I def agree with the comments on getting a breed you want to live with and show that. I don't show, but if I ever did I wouldn't have to question breed at all. It would be Pembroke Corgi hands down. I just LOVE the breed, I've had them for a good portion of my life and I love living with them. They're def my breed of choice. :)

I remember asking this same question about 8 or 9 years ago - I, like you, knew that I wanted to show before I knew what breed so I understand the direction you're coming from.

I took a weekend and went to a dog show with my husband and just sat around and watched. I had a list of breeds I liked but there was nothing that made me say "thats it" about any breed in particular and I hoped that if I hung around some shows one would click.

I was introduced by a friend (Rebanne from here) to a man who had Basset Fauve De Bretagne and the rest as the say is history. The very minute I saw them I was hooked, I researched and they fit everything I was after. When you find the right breed you truly will know.

In the meantime why not see if you can find someone relatively local to you who is happy for you to tag along to some shows so you can watch and learn. I would try to aim to watch the whole of group judging for every group and write a shortlist of the breeds you're physically attracted to. Then go home and read up on pros and cons and then visit some more shows with an aim of meeting breeders of your shortlisted breed. If you're not in a hurry you've got the time to do this and hopefully, like me, you will suddenly see YOUR breed :thumbsup: . Good luck!

Really need to narrow it down a bit more :-)

Some breeds are virtually impossible to break in to, others are so competitive that a new comer has to be prepared to spend a long time coming 2nd.

As you already have a 'mini foxie' my first thought was a Tenterfield.

Which breeds are impossible to break into?

Edited by shapeshifter

I remember asking this same question about 8 or 9 years ago - I, like you, knew that I wanted to show before I knew what breed so I understand the direction you're coming from.

I took a weekend and went to a dog show with my husband and just sat around and watched. I had a list of breeds I liked but there was nothing that made me say "thats it" about any breed in particular and I hoped that if I hung around some shows one would click.

I was introduced by a friend (Rebanne from here) to a man who had Basset Fauve De Bretagne and the rest as the say is history. The very minute I saw them I was hooked, I researched and they fit everything I was after. When you find the right breed you truly will know.

oh yes I remember that weekend, you went away Sat night and came back Sunday morning and had the breed standard printed out and had already joined a international Yahoo group if I recall rightly. You were hooked well and truly!

There would be quite a number of high profile breeds that would be virtually impossible to break in to I would think and it would depend upon the area you live in. I can think of some breeds in my area that would be very difficult to be competitive in.

Why on earth do people answer a question with vague comments?

If you think that there are breeds that answer the question why don't you say so?

Seriously breeders wonder why they get a bad name when they are continually doing shit like this.

People want genuine answers, answers they can use for research not 'oh there are but I'm not going to tell you' answers!!!

If you think that there are breeds that answer the question why don't you say so?

Seriously breeders wonder why they get a bad name when they are continually doing shit like this.

People want genuine answers, answers they can use for research not 'oh there are but I'm not going to tell you' answers!!!

So what breeds have you suggested ???

Bit difficult to name breeds based on "medium sized, not a bull breed and saner than a miniature fox terrier". Which is why I asked for a bit more information.

Of course, those people prepared to pluck a dog breed out of thin air based on not a lot of information are clearly more "genuine" than I am.

"Shit like this" is trying to actually make some sensible suggestions that may suit the OP, as opposed to naming breeds based on SFA information.

If that gets breeders a bad name, so be it. i'm trying not to waste the OPs time by suggesting breeds that will ultimately be unsuitable for her.

There are smooth coated medium sized breeds out there that are NOTHING alike beyond those characteristics.

I show a medium sized, smooth coated breed. i can name others with those characteristics that I wouldn't give house room. You need to factor temperament into the equation.

Edited by Haredown Whippets