Suggestions For Breed?

thowra

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth do people answer a question with vague comments?

If you think that there are breeds that answer the question why don't you say so?

Seriously breeders wonder why they get a bad name when they are continually doing shit like this.

People want genuine answers, answers they can use for research not 'oh there are but I'm not going to tell you' answers!!!

So what breeds have you suggested ???

Ummm I asked the question, I'm not a breeder, I'm not a shower, I'm a 'possible' just like the OP.

I got the impression shapeshifter was talking about wanting a specific response to the question of which breeds are impossible to break into, not which breed would suit the OP.

Exactly SG :thumbsup:

Whippets are very strong in my area, no idea about your area. But I'm with the others, show the breed you want to live with. Which is why I show my minority breed - Greyhounds. And if I did want a whippet to live with I wouldn't let the fact it would be very hard to win with it locally change my mind, I'd still get one.

If you think that there are breeds that answer the question why don't you say so?

Seriously breeders wonder why they get a bad name when they are continually doing shit like this.

People want genuine answers, answers they can use for research not 'oh there are but I'm not going to tell you' answers!!!

and I think you are pretty rude too

Wow that was an intense reaction to what was not intended to be anything like what you perceived it to be :confused: Not to mention bloody rude but I will try to respond further and maybe you can learn to bite your tongue a little.....

The reason I didn't list breeds is because it will depend on the quality of the dogs being shown where you live. Some places are reknowned for having excellent examples of their breed and a lot of them are shown by very experienced and knowledgeable people who will have the upper hand over a new exhibitor. Those breeds that can be very difficult to break into are the more popular ones generally - for example Cavaliers, Border Collies etc. It can be very difficult in the more numerically superior breeds to get a quality dog that will be competitive against people who have been showing and breeding for generations.

If you read my first post you would see that I am still relatively new to dog showing by comparison to many having only been involved in the entire dog showing/breeding world for around 7 years. I started in a rare breed (only 7 in the entire country) and that in itself is very difficult but for different reasons and I was warned by long term exhibitors that I should get used to losing :laugh: .

The most important thing that anyone can do is, as I said earlier, spend some time at a show and find the breed that they like and then find people who are breeding the dogs they like and are happy to sell them a show quality dog HOWEVER if you are buying a dog from a relatively local breeder you need to expect that quite likely what they are selling you is not first pick puppy as they will retain it and if you're competing against each other it can be disheartening to have your beautiful puppy beaten by its sibling (the voice of experience here)

Whippets are very strong in my area, no idea about your area.

Whippets are very strong pretty much everywhere but Victoria in particular.

Didn't stop me getting one because I really love the breed. :) Got told I could have picked an "easier breed". I didn't want an easier breed. I wanted a Whippet :)

Didn't stop me getting one because I really love the breed. :) Got told I could have picked an "easier breed". I didn't want an easier breed. I wanted a Whippet :)

Exactly!

We pick a breed that makes our heart jump, imho.

Quite a few boxes to be ticked, as suggested long before going out to the ring.

Those first rounds in the ring can be wonderful or a disater.

But that lick on your face from your dog is worth a thousand points.

:)

I have to say, I think it would be a very unusual novice showie who would find showing in and of itself sufficient to sustain interest.

IMO you've gotta love the dog.

Amen................. even when said dog decides not to walk in the ring. Then rolls on its back in the hope of tummy rubs from the Judge or Steward or anyone else LOL.

:D

Exactly!

Yes :thumbsup:

People keep asking me when I'm going to get a Lab for retrieving or a Border Collie for agility. I have the dogs I love to live with and enjoy the challenge to boot.

In the meantime why not see if you can find someone relatively local to you who is happy for you to tag along to some shows so you can watch and learn. I would try to aim to watch the whole of group judging for every group and write a shortlist of the breeds you're physically attracted to. Then go home and read up on pros and cons and then visit some more shows with an aim of meeting breeders of your shortlisted breed. If you're not in a hurry you've got the time to do this and hopefully, like me, you will suddenly see YOUR breed :thumbsup: . Good luck!

This is really good advice.

With respect to strong breeds, as someone else mentioned sometimes the more relevant factor is how strong an individual exhibitor is in a particular location. You can have a numerically small breed where there is one exhibitor who is particularly strong and it doesn't really matter if there's 1 or 25, you are more than likely not going to get past them as a novice.

Speaking generally tho', I'd agree with HW that if you pick a competitive breed (whether quality, numbers or both), you'll learn faster if you're serious because you'll have to. Only you know if that will suit your personality type.

Re Tenties, they are little dudes but as a relatively recent addition to the register there are still people who have "views" about them including judges. I would only pick a Tenterfield as a first show dog if I were truly passionate about the breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course I will get a breed that I want as a pet as well, I'm not just going to get a dog to show then leave it locked up and not be part of the family!

I'm in the newcastle area. I know they have shows at Hillsborough and am planning on trying to get there when there is one on next.

The reason I asked for suggestions is that I like so many different breeds! There are many long coated breeds that I love too but I thought that a short coated breed would be easier.

I have shown horses in the past of varying breeds and know different breeds have different presentation.

I am after something that is easy to train with a calm temperament overall.

Already you are in front - I find that lots of people who move into dog showing who have experience horse showing seem to adjust to the things I found difficult far more readily.

If you want easy to train then maybe look to your Working Dog or Gundog rings primarily (Groups 3 and 5). Steer clear of my group, Hounds :laugh: as easy to train doesn't come into many of their breed standards.

I do find this interesting. I can't imagine ever not having greyhounds, but I'm not sure about showing them. I can't imagine ever not having sight hounds. DH thinks whippets and Iggies are too small, he likes deerhounds (though wolfies are too big apparently) but I prefer the borzoi. I rule out a lot of the rarer breeds because I suspect I'd be outsmarted by a pharaoh, Ibizan, or pod.

But when it comes time for me to have a show dog (which I'm hoping is not too soon because it means our current pack will have been reduced :cry: ), if will depend on who is left, what our lives are like, and the right dog coming along.... But I will own a Zoi, a whippet and more greys in my life. And if any are show quality, we'll take it from there.

I do find this interesting. I can't imagine ever not having greyhounds, but I'm not sure about showing them.

I showed Greys for many years & did alot of winning ,the most underestimated dog in the show ring .

The reason I asked for suggestions is that I like so many different breeds! There are many long coated breeds that I love too but I thought that a short coated breed would be easier.

Maybe tell us what breeds interest you & if from similar groups may be able to suggest shows that will have a good turnout or even specialty shows

Already you are in front - I find that lots of people who move into dog showing who have experience horse showing seem to adjust to the things I found difficult far more readily.

If you want easy to train then maybe look to your Working Dog or Gundog rings primarily (Groups 3 and 5). Steer clear of my group, Hounds :laugh: as easy to train doesn't come into many of their breed standards.

Quite a few hounds are easy enough to train for the ring. Tick the 'what's in it for me box' and most happily play the game. :) The key to success often lies in their stomachs. :)