Suggestions For Breed?

thowra

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already you are in front - I find that lots of people who move into dog showing who have experience horse showing seem to adjust to the things I found difficult far more readily.

If you want easy to train then maybe look to your Working Dog or Gundog rings primarily (Groups 3 and 5). Steer clear of my group, Hounds :laugh: as easy to train doesn't come into many of their breed standards.

Quite a few hounds are easy enough to train for the ring. Tick the 'what's in it for me box' and most happily play the game. :) The key to success often lies in their stomachs. :)

LOL Yes but they don't fit into MOST people's definition of easy to train. :D

I showed Greys for many years & did alot of winning ,the most underestimated dog in the show ring .

It's not that. More that all of mine are from adoptions with racing backgrounds. I know some cross over very successfully, but with so many needing homes, would I cope with the guilt? But I'm not ruling anything out. The more time I spend with different hounds the more I love them.

I do find this interesting. I can't imagine ever not having greyhounds, but I'm not sure about showing them.

I showed Greys for many years & did alot of winning ,the most underestimated dog in the show ring .

You can show a greyhound, it's fun! My dogs do ok, winning wise, but it's more about the outing for us

It's not that. More that all of mine are from adoptions with racing backgrounds. I know some cross over very successfully, but with so many needing homes, would I cope with the guilt? But I'm not ruling anything out. The more time I spend with different hounds the more I love them.

you do know all dogs, wherever they come from, need good homes?

Already you are in front - I find that lots of people who move into dog showing who have experience horse showing seem to adjust to the things I found difficult far more readily.

If you want easy to train then maybe look to your Working Dog or Gundog rings primarily (Groups 3 and 5). Steer clear of my group, Hounds :laugh: as easy to train doesn't come into many of their breed standards.

Quite a few hounds are easy enough to train for the ring. Tick the 'what's in it for me box' and most happily play the game. :) The key to success often lies in their stomachs. :)

I find my Whippets wwaaayyyy easier to train than my Dobes or Staffords ever where. I don't understand when people talk about hard to train Whippets.

you do know all dogs, wherever they come from, need good homes?

Of course! But you also know how many thousands of greys are bred for racing.

This wasn't about whether to buy from a breeder or whether to adopt. It's about where I am now in terms of having a show dog in the future. I love the show greys too. Paige, for instance, is one of my favourite dogs out and about and I can't wait to see her again once she's through this whole puppy business. But for me a dog to show will be a complete indulgence.

Greyhounds, on the other hand, are a necessity.

So intellectually, showing a grey would be weird, but having a different breed would be ok. I never claimed to be logical,about this! And it's about the right dog to fit into our pack anyhow. Which may, in fact, end up being a greyhound, in which case, watch out Rebanne!

Incidentally, Benny spend the weekend out promoting greyhound adoption at Winterfedt. He was a bit confused at first, then realised that everyone was giving him cuddles so let the way smooching up to people.

Thanks for all the replies.

Of course I will get a breed that I want as a pet as well, I'm not just going to get a dog to show then leave it locked up and not be part of the family!

I'm in the newcastle area. I know they have shows at Hillsborough and am planning on trying to get there when there is one on next.

The reason I asked for suggestions is that I like so many different breeds! There are many long coated breeds that I love too but I thought that a short coated breed would be easier.

I have shown horses in the past of varying breeds and know different breeds have different presentation.

I am after something that is easy to train with a calm temperament overall.

Hi Thowra,

I'm usually at the shows in Newcastle when they're held. It's rare that I don't attend. I'd be happy to meet you and talk to you about the intricacies of showing if you would like. I'm easy to find surrounded by Border Collies at the Working Dog ring and if you ask for Mel with the Borders, most can point you in my direction.

Yes that is for Hillsborough.

Nothing this month, unless it's been added after the calendar went out.

9-10/8 Newcastle and Hunter GSD - CH/+OT - sorry missed the second day yesterday when I commented.

15-17/8 Bay City All Breeds CH/EV, Hunter Region CH/EV, Newcastle All Breeds AT/JT, Port Stephens Dog Sports CH/DS

Edited by shapeshifter

Not sure about show wise but, short coat, larger medium, easy to train.

IF you can give them the exercise and mental stimulation my first thought is a short coated working breed like a Kelpie or Australian Cattle Dog.

Don't worry Trisven I know what you are getting at LOL I also don't thin my hound has been hard to train but I think that for some sorts of hounds you have a different kind of expectation in what you can expect from them(the same with all breeds really). I don't expect my hound to be an obedience champion but I had no trouble teaching her the house rules and that's all I really wanted.