Firming Up Poop

Hi there,

Long time lurker here seeking advice! We recently had a new baby and Milton, our beloved french bulldog took a while to adjust.. He is all back on track now except for one thing: he has very loose stools still.

It started at the same time as baby coming home and there has been no change of diet (he's on Taste of the Wild grain free dry food and also gets a little pumpkin for breakfast feed and yogurt for evening feeds). The vet has ruled out any gastro bugs but put him on a course of antibiotics just in case which he has since finished but still no improvement.

We are following up with the vet again and in the mean time i have been reading about Slipper Elm Bark. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice/suggestions/information?

Many thanks!

Maybe he needs to try a different food? I feed TOTW and find my boy is "going" more often lately and he is not keen on the kibble any more. Perhaps you could even try a different type kibble - which TOTW is he on? I feed the salmon one.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Seeing slight improvement with slippery elm but still having issues.

He has been on TOTW since birth (various flavours but salmon is his favourite). Any recommendations to change to?

Will also try a probiotic as well.

Back to vet tomorrow.

Poor pooch, he is otherwise doing well and not stressed out anymore (showing more interest in baby, happily walks alongside the pram now etc.) - just want this poop situation resolved!

If he is having runny poo, I'd question the need to add more fibre to his diet in the form of pumpkin or anything else. You want less gut stimulation, not more. I'd not be eating bran if I had the runs :laugh:

He derives no nutritional benefit from pumpkin. I"d be stopping that and perhaps trying something like a chicken wing. Bone firms up poos better than anything I've seen.

Stress can loosen things up too - how's he coping these days?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Steamed, mashed or canned pumpkin is widely used to help with the runs. I don't know exactly how it works but many husky owners swear by it. I have used it once and it did work, but I prefer slippery elm.

Oh, just had a thought, loose stools can sometimes be associated with too much food. Maybe try cutting back a bit to see if it improves. If this is the case you should see improvement in less than a day.

TOTW is a great food and pretty rich, but like most foods they overstate the amount that should be fed.

Psyillum husks - from the supermarket - my vet told my to mix 1/2 tsp with a little water/weetbix.

Gosh, I thought that could have the reverse effect.

Does for this human.

Hmmm.

:)

ETA: blonde moment. Read Yonjuro's thread where the husks were explained further.

oops x.

Edited by VizslaMomma

The stress has very much abated... I'd love to give bones but we live in an apartment and nowhere for him to consume bones...

Seeing the vet tomorrow

He can eat chicken wings and necks straight out of a bowl. The best bones for his diet are the ones he can eat completely.

If you have not crate trained him, I'd suggest you do it. In addition to giving you a safe way of separating dog and child, he can be given recreational bones to eat in his crate and you can simply wash the bedding afterwards.

To get 'bones' you can feed pet made chicken mince, which is the whole carcass minced, bones and all, or chicken necks/wings which should get eaten immediately. You don't necessarily have to give hard chewing bones.

ETA ..... I also agree nothing firms up poos like bones.

Edited by GrufLife