Need Your Help

persephone

I notice that an excellent comment has been added, by Brenda H, on that Facebook page, pointing out making a dog a prize is against RSPCA guidelines... and why.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Australian-Country-Hour/103075692617?fref=nf

Here's those guidelines (from RSPCA Australia website):

What does the RSPCA think about the use of live animals as prizes?

Sometimes live animals are given as prizes in raffles, competitions or other fundraising events. Examples include ponies or dogs in raffles, goldfish as fairground prizes, dogs in raffles etc. RSPCA Australia is opposed to the use of live animals as prizes as this creates a situation where a person is responsible for the care of an animal without any proper planning or consideration.

Acquiring a companion animal should be the result of careful planning and prior consideration. The prospective owner should have a clear understanding of the responsibilities involved and carefully consider whether they have, and will continue to have, the facilities, time, financial means and level of interest necessary to ensure a satisfactory standard of care for their animal prior to acquiring the animal.

If you know of a competition or fundraiser where live animals are being advertised as prizes, consider contacting the organisers to express your concern and ask them to provide an alternative prize.

Edited by mita

I know of a horse breed society that raffles a donated weanling each year at the Nationals. But everyone knows everyone else and they are all show people with horses of the breed and most know the horse as well or at least the breeder etc. It is a very 'wanted' prize by those who buy tickets. If you don't want the horse you don't buy a ticket.

I still think it is wrong morally but it can't be illegal.

I know of a horse breed society that raffles a donated weanling each year at the Nationals. But everyone knows everyone else and they are all show people with horses of the breed and most know the horse as well or at least the breeder etc. It is a very 'wanted' prize by those who buy tickets. If you don't want the horse you don't buy a ticket.

I still think it is wrong morally but it can't be illegal.

Yep and chances are that pup is from a stud known to produce great working pups, it's possibly already been started and those that "want" it, will buy a ticket.

ETA: a local working dog breeder well known for his dogs had one of his pups used as a promotional prize, that pup had been started and was showing all the signs of being a potentially good worker, it wasn't as though they dragged a Kelpie wannabe out of the RSPCA or local paper and offered that up, the pup came with credentials

Edited by WreckitWhippet

[

Yep and chances are that pup is from a stud known to produce great working pups, it's possibly already been started and those that "want" it, will buy a ticket.

ETA: a local working dog breeder well known for his dogs had one of his pups used as a promotional prize, that pup had been started and was showing all the signs of being a potentially good worker, it wasn't as though they dragged a Kelpie wannabe out of the RSPCA or local paper and offered that up, the pup came with credentials

The 'want it' could be taken out of quotation marks... & thus become a fact... if the 'raffle' tickets were turned into applications. Anyone wanting to put their name in the hat, could first be accepted into the draw via an application. People organizing such an event should set it up differently from a straight-out raffle... which they say it is not. Well, then, don't make it a raffle with a random winner... make it a draw by already vetted application.

Edited by mita

It is not legal in Vic to have a live animal as a prize in any sort of draw or raffle.

I agree Mita, organisers are saying they will be vetting the winner to ensure the pup goes to an appropriate working home. Other prizes are sheep, I imagine they will be vetting those winners as well - but then it really isn't a random draw is it? So it shouldn't be called a raffle.

I looked up the South Australia Lottery and Gaming Act 2008.

It says there are some good and services which are not permitted as lottery prizes. But they don't list them in the Act, it seems they are listed in the South Australian Government Gazette. Would need to search that out to check if live animals as prizes are prohibited list In SA:

Prohibited goods and services

(1) The Minister may, by notice in the Gazette, prohibit specified goods or services (or a

specified class of goods or services) from being—

(a) a prize in a lottery, sweepstakes or Calcutta; or

Edited by mita

I looked up the South Australia Lottery and Gaming Act 2008.

It says there are some good and services which are not permitted as lottery prizes. But they don't list them in the Act, it seems they are listed in the South Australian Government Gazette. Would need to search that out to check if live animals as prizes are prohibited list In SA:

Prohibited goods and services

(1) The Minister may, by notice in the Gazette, prohibit specified goods or services (or a

specified class of goods or services) from being—

(a) a prize in a lottery, sweepstakes or Calcutta; or

Prize conditions

• Liquor is prohibited from being offered as an inducement to enter or participate in the lottery.
  • The total value of all prizes in a major lottery must not be less than 20% of the total face value of all tickets in the lottery.
  • The prizes must consist of cash, goods or services.

Prohibited prizes

Prizes prohibited in major lotteries includes:

• Tobacco products

• Firearms, antique firearms and ammunition

• Dangerous articles and prohibited weapons

• Cosmetic surgery and other similar medical or surgical procedures undertaken with the predominant purpose of improving personal appearance.

• Any goods or services the sale of which in South Australia would be an offence.