Australian Brand Dog Foods

DD33

I'm trying to find good quality Australian Brand dog foods(low in corn and other grains) both tinned and dry, using Australian beef or other meats.

And is there any rating system for these commercial brands?

Google has found me bits and pieces of old information, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

The main Australian made dry foods that come to my mind are Blackhawk, Advance, Nutro and Natural Balance. How good each of them are, well, depends who you talk to :). Some dogs just do better on certain brands. Personally I have never had a dog that could eat Advance, always got sloppy poos.

Don't know of any rating systems in Australia (would love to see one myself) but you should be able to go to each product's website and see their ingredients list.

Edited by seregil

OK so Advance is out. So that leaves Blackhawk, Nutro and Natural Balance. Pity there weren't a few more brands.

I found this review site http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ probably American. Gives reviews on brands sold here in supermarkets.

Other reviews from Choice http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/backyard/pets/pet-food-reviews.aspx some old, but maybe that shouldn't make a difference. Wish there was something more up to date, but maybe that's all there is.

Dogs react differently so it's worth trying - both of mine did really well on Advance. Zig was raised on it and I only switched to Artemis due to breed specific nutritional requirements. He won 2 massive bags and 3 smaller bags of Advance and Em ate all of that - she looked fabulous.

Depends what you mean by 'Australian Brand'. Nutro & Advance are made here but they aren't made by Australian companies. Pro Plan is also made here but again is not an Australian company.

Nature's Gift is an Australian company. Their tinned food is pretty good. Much less sloppy than some very expensive brands like Eagle Pack. Their dry does have wheat in it to bind the kibble.

A lot of people are happy with the VIP grain free dog food, Natures Goodness. They also do a tinned food.

Both my dogs do well on BlackHawk...they have been on it most of their lives. It is 100% Australian owned, made from 100% Australian Products, contains no artificial flavours, preservatives, GM's, Corn, Wheat or Soy & they like it & it comes in Fish, Chicken or Lamb. You can always ask for a sample. I have also bought a few bags of Natures goodness, which is Grain Free & they love that too. Just a pity they don't make it in bigger bags. Unless your dog has allergies to grain, I don't see the importance in going totally grain-free. Really, you just have to look at the foods & decide what YOU want for your dogs...get hold of samples & try them out. No point in buying a big bag of food if your dog's turn their nose up at it. :) And in the end, it is what your dog does best on.

I'm looking for Australian grown meat content specifically, with an option of no artificial flavours, preservatives and preferably Australian owned.

But I can now see what's available, so will try a couple of brands in small quantities. My dog is not only fussy, but is made ill by some of the more well know and popular super market brands. I'm just going to have to keep trying different brands. Thanks :)

Meals for Mutts has a grain free and it is Australian made.

My dogs liked it but it didn't like them. :(

I suggest you shop for your dog at the big pet stores or online. Most supermaket brands aren't much chop.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Meals for Mutts has a grain free and it is Australian made.

My dogs liked it but it didn't like them. :(

I suggest you shop for your dog at the big pet stores or online. Most supermaket brands aren't much chop.

Natures Gift & Natures Goodness are available from the supermarkets & they get the thumbs up from a lot of DOL's but only come in small bags.

Mars has a factory in Wadoonga but I'm not sure which brands it makes - pretty sure they still import Royal Canin. Like Purina who makes ProPlan they are an Australian company.

A majority of the small brands like Blackhawk etc are made by contract manufacturers - I.e. They are made by a company for the brand rather than made by the brand. The small names don't have the capability or infrastructure to make their own food.

Edited by Danois

Mars has a factory in Wadoonga but I'm not sure which brands it makes - pretty sure they still import Royal Canin. Like Purina who makes ProPlan they are an Australian company.

A majority of the small brands like Blackhawk etc are made by contract manufacturers - I.e. They are made by a company for the brand rather than made by the brand. The small names don't have the capability or infrastructure to make their own food.

Mars make Advance in Albury/Wodonga.

I have been feeding my two greyhounds the VIP grain free kibble since it came out, about 2 years now and it's brilliant. My boy had the runs on all of the "premium" brand kibbles but not with this. As JulesP said they have recently bought out a tinned variety but I feed raw so not sure on that. It's reasonably priced, available from Woolies and now Coles in 1.25kg, 3 kg and the 7kg bag which is the one I get. The 7kg bag is only available in the chicken and duck variety.

Next Generation Petfoods are Australian owned and made and have a number of premium lines available, as well as budget food.

Some overseas brands actually contain Australian Lamb.

May I ask if you wish to support Aussie, or just don't want an imported food? If it is the latter, keep in mind that many Australian made foods include imported ingredients. Even Blackhawk does at times use imported minor ingredients, according to information from a rep.

NZ make a number of excellent products, such as Ziwipeak, Sunday Pets and K9 Natural - all use NZ grown ingredients and are often free range.

Sags

:)

Next Generation Petfoods are Australian owned and made and have a number of premium lines available, as well as budget food.

Some overseas brands actually contain Australian Lamb.

May I ask if you wish to support Aussie, or just don't want an imported food? If it is the latter, keep in mind that many Australian made foods include imported ingredients. Even Blackhawk does at times use imported minor ingredients, according to information from a rep.

NZ make a number of excellent products, such as Ziwipeak, Sunday Pets and K9 Natural - all use NZ grown ingredients and are often free range.

Sags

:)

Hi Sags,

Firstly, I don't want to buy products containing imported meat (with the exception of NZ meats)I also like to buy Australian where possible.

The fact some Australian brands included imported meat is a little confusing; I suppose it pays to read the labels very carefully. But to save time, I thought I'd ask here :)