Bernese Mountain Dog Diet

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing home a beautiful Bernese in just over a week and I'm paranoid about bloat. Can someone give me a good idea of what / how much and how often a bernese puppy should eat and also an adult. I have all the info my breeder has given me but after so many people warning me about the health issues related to this beautiful breed I want to make sure I do everything I can do to keep her healthy.

Thanks

At 8 weeks pup will probably be on 3-4 small meals a day. You can reduce to 3 at around 12 weeks, and reduce to 2 at around 6 months. Then keep her on 2 meals a day for life. 2 smaller meals are far better than one large for preventing bloat.

Never exercise pup (or adult) immediately before or after a meal.

Don't let her gulp her food down quickly. If she is prone to this, you can buy special bowls that force them to eat more slowly. On the same note don't let her drink heaps of water all in one go, like after a big play for example.

Keep her lean, never overweight.

All the best and please share pics when you get her! :)

Everything as written above! The key is to keep them lean and not let them grow too fast. I have 3 BMD, and all require different amounts of food to each other.

Be guided by the breeder as to diet they recommend.

Perhaps look into joining one of the Bernese Mountain dog club of Victoria, BMDCV they have regular events in which you can meet other owners, and often do newsletters which have information on health etc.

Below is a link to a chart about bloat.

Bloat Chart

Edited by africandreams

Thanks for all the info that's exactly what I'm after. I've seen the slow eater bowls and I'm going to get one her her and my older springer who loves inhale his food. Does anyone know how to stop them from drinking too fast after playing as I know my springer does this and ends up either coughing or vomiting it all back up?

You can't be paranoid about bloat as that will rule everything you do. Know what the signs are, have a bloat chart on the fridge and know your local vets - including emergency one.

There are no firm answers about what causes bloat - for every study that says its X, another study says it's not. In my opinion, if you have a dog that is going to bloat they will bloat regardless of what you do or don't do.

I have only grown giants of another breed not BMD but I have always switched to 2 main meals a day and a small supper from 11-12 weeks as that is the practicality of being an owner who works full time.

I've known people to do everything right 'by the book' and their dog has still bloated. Sometimes it happens for reasons unknown.

Like Danois says, you can't be too paranoid or it will rule your life.

Edited by africandreams