Passive Smoking Causes Cancer In Cats & Dogs

silentchild

Smokers are being urged to look to their cat or dog for motivation to quit smoking as passive smoking can cause as many health issues for pets as it does for humans, researchers have found.

Studies by Tufts University and Colorado State University in the US have shown that second-hand smoke can cause respiratory and allergy problems in cats and dogs, plus lung and nasal cancer in dogs and lymphoma in cats.

There are no statistics for the number of animals that die as a result of passive smoking each year, but quit smoking charities have called for smokers to quit for the sake of their pet.

"Second-hand smoke doesn't just affect people," said CEO of the American Legacy Foundation Dr Cheryl Healton.

"While most [people] have been educated about the dangers of smoking to their own bodies, it is equally important that pet owners take action to protect their beloved domestic pets from the dangers of second-hand smoke."

Cats are the most vulnerable to smoke, with Tufts University research showing that constant exposure to smoke doubles a cat's chances of lymphoma, which is one of the leading causes of feline cancer.

Symptoms of animal cancer, which is the leading cause of dog and cat deaths, include bleeding, sneezing, coughing, difficulty eating or breathing, weight loss and drooling.

Quit Policy Manager Kylie Lindorff, told ninemsn that thinking about pets could be the motivation some smokers need to quit.

"The fact pets are very affected by second-hand smoke adds to the long list of reasons to quit," she said.

"We would hope that the fact smoking has such a devastating effect on nearly every organ in the body would be enough motivation to quit, but if people need one more reason to stop smoking, maybe this will be it."

Source: CBS Author: Kimberly Gillan; Approving Editor: Kristen Amiet..

Source : http://health.ninems...n-cats-and-dogs

It did occur to me. I stopped smoking as soon as I brought my Rottweiler puppy home, more for her health than my own. This was 12 years ago. Now I have lung issues that didn't show any sign of being present when I was smoking. They lung surfaced seven years after I quit.

• 1 month later...

I am surprised it needed a study really, they are mammals like us. If passive smoking is an issue for other people it is highly likely that it will cause an issue with other mammals.

It also causes issues with pet birds, like budgies, 'tiels and canaries.

:(

I am surprised it needed a study really, they are mammals like us. If passive smoking is an issue for other people it is highly likely that it will cause an issue with other mammals.

It also causes issues with pet birds, like budgies, 'tiels and canaries.

:(

Which also does not surprise me. I know studies have to be done or people just won't believe what is staring them in the face, but really how stupid are people who don't think it is an issue to other living creatures??

Edited by OSoSwift

Which also does not surprise me. I know studies have to be done or people just won't believe what is staring them in the face, but really how stupid are people who don't think it is an issue to other living creatures??

I used to take my tiels to Dr Gill ( the husband & Avian Vet).

We had 'acquired' a tiel from an older couple who went into a Retirement Home.

No joke, their ceilings were brown with smoke.

Never forgotten this. But when I walked in with the bird it 'squawked' & sounded so poorly. Jim Gill said, without even touching the bird 'do his humans smoke?'

He then told me all about the perils of smoke, of fumes (teflon fry pans & air fresheners). Was disturbing.

:cry:

This report makes a lot of sense.

It's not well known but they stopped those "Marlboro Man" cowboy ads when his horse died from passive smoking.

Link and reference?

As far as I know, the horse was a pb QH, Flag is Up or Flag Up, which was shown and also stood at stud.

No surprise to me at all, I've never smoked but have lung problems (which have become much worse with age) and scarring. I lived with 4 heavy smokers (inc 1 of unfiltered cigarettes who died of lung cancer later and my father on cigars) until I was 7, then mum and dad bought a house so I lived with 2 smokers until I was 12 when dad died.

Mum continued to smoke for many more years and I lived with her until I was in my mid 20s.

I always found it unbearable - this was in the UK where it's so cold that you don't open windows - I used to say "this can't be good for me" but none of them worried.

Naturally, in the teens/20s we also used to go out a lot and many times you were in a pub or club full of smoke ...

Why can't people wake up to themselves and either give up or stop enforcing it on the innocents?

You and me both, say it too loud and people yell, but we have rights too. I answer even if they can kill people???

I wouldn't care so much if passive smoking wasn't so dangerous, I could live with the instant headache if it wasn't dangerous to me and my kids.

Edited by OSoSwift

Also surprised there needed to be a study on this but glad there was.

I was a smoker of 14 years before I quit at the beginning of this year. Though, I never smoked inside (ever been in a smoker's house? God, it's awful) or around my pets or non-smokers. I was always the guy standing outside a pub having a cigarette before the laws even changed.

It baffles me how people can smoke around non-smokers, kids, and pets. I'm not for banning smoking but I'm totally for keeping bad habits to yourself and not inflicting them on others.