Changing Dog Food

So, for the last few months my dogs have been on Applaws which they've done quite well on. I went to buy a bag today cause i'm almost out and my local supermarket doesn't stock it anymore. The price tag was there with a "reduced to clear" so i'm worried they're not going to get it in again? I went to another supermarket close by and they also didn't have it. I know foods are meant to be changed over slowly but what do I do in this case? Also, what do I change to? The last food I had them on was Black Hawk and Tyrion did terribly on it. He was really greasy, loosing fur, not putting on weight etc.

Maybe if ring the supermarket to find out if it is being discontinued first. If so then there will be plenty of advice and options available. Let us know how you get on or if you just want to change? :)

So, for the last few months my dogs have been on Applaws which they've done quite well on. I went to buy a bag today cause i'm almost out and my local supermarket doesn't stock it anymore. The price tag was there with a "reduced to clear" so i'm worried they're not going to get it in again? I went to another supermarket close by and they also didn't have it. I know foods are meant to be changed over slowly but what do I do in this case? Also, what do I change to? The last food I had them on was Black Hawk and Tyrion did terribly on it. He was really greasy, loosing fur, not putting on weight etc.

You know what? I have never done that. I've seen some of the things my dog's eat and I figure their digestive systems can handle a sudden change of diet. biggrin.gif

You know what? I have never done that. I've seen some of the things my dog's eat and I figure their digestive systems can handle a sudden change of diet. biggrin.gif

Like HW I change my dogs from one food to another regularly without any issues.

Think it depends on the dog?

I had one that could eat anything - including duck poo, roo poo, complete, sudden change of food etc.- without any issues.

Other, bigger dog would get diarrhoea with any change of diet.

This guy, I would mix old dry food with new to introduce over a few days and see how he went.

He was OK with raw bones- would help with loose stools, actually.