For Dolers Who Run Their Own Small Business

Yep, PM me and I'll tell you what I can. Happy to share. Maybe include your email addy as I might have some 'recipes' as links.

Just "liked" you on Facebook :) Your doggy PJs are adorable! Home late from the movies, so I'll PM you Monday.

The company in Europe I'm interested in wholesaling from; well I have ordered two leather martingale collars. For Ivy and Badger. Can't wait to test their product on Ivys wolf coat.

I was at the markets today googling rat hammocks on Etsy and Pinterest! There's also some cute birdy things that don't require much fleece fabric that I might try making too.

PS And I noticed that Steve came and liked me on FB too! Hello to you both! :wave:

Edited by Little Gifts

I was at the markets today googling rat hammocks on Etsy and Pinterest! There's also some cute birdy things that don't require much fleece fabric that I might try making too.

PS And I noticed that Steve came and liked me on FB too! Hello to you both! :wave:

Are you interested in drop shipping?

I have no idea what drop shipping even is! Only 10% of my orders need to be posted so I offer a $5 flat rate shipping fee. I usually deliver or people come and pick up from me at the markets only because I quite like to go for a bit of a drive and see new places. Strangely, a lot of people work in the CBD so I do a drive around the city pretty much once a week!

I find most of my leads come from my website. You can make a free one fairly easily on sites like wix or webs. When i first started the site i made sure to go to every pet related directory I could find and post a listing on there, with my website, so that I came up a lot higher in the google searches. I would love to do some training in SEO as i know I am not currently reaching my potential with google - using a professional SEO service is expensive! i also get a lot of leads from gumtree, which also directs to my website.

Regarding GST / declaring tax- I recently spoke to an accountant about whether I should look at 'formalising' my business and start declaring tax etc. Most of my business is run on a cash basis so i haven't really looked at doing this until now when I am starting to get a bit busier. The accountant advised that with my current turnover, I could get away with just calling it a 'hobby' so i don't have to declare the income and pay extra tax. I don't know if this is borderline dodgy or not :laugh: but I'm happy to keep it simple so far! my pet sitting is just a sideline to my normal full time job so it's not really a lot of money that we are talking about.

I would love to start selling pet products as well... mainly because i love to buy them and I'm always on the lookout for quality products which are also bargains :p I have some tags listed on my website which are the red dingo ones where they do the engraving and send direct to the customer. However I haven't really put any time into developing this side of it - there are a lot of other suppliers on the net selling the same thing. Unfortunately, I have very little I could spend on creating a quality inventory or I would love to get some of the wholesale products you can find on alibaba etc. The only thing I would worry about is quality of the products! If I was clever enough to be able to make my own products that would be cool... but i'm all thumbs and frustration when it comes to trying to sew etc haha

I would love to one day be able to do pet sitting full time but i am a long way off yet! Good luck with your business English.Ivy :)

When it comes to dog products it depends on what people you are aiming for .

Dog collars is a very tricky area ,as a breeder & most breeders we suggest products to our pet owners that are pratical,safe & value for money & that will be above all comfy for the dog to wear.

From our boarding kennel/salon side of business we often have to tell clients to buy new collars as the ones they have brought are causing issues for the dogs & aren't safe .

There are plenty of other places in Perth that sell products online & plenty Aussie wide so i wouldn't say its limited in Perth it just depends on who you now & who people ask .

I buy dog products online all the time but i now what i want & why i should have it & i buy worldwide .

I prefer overseas as the prices are better even with postage so to buy in Australia it would have to be same price .

I am a small business-o-holic! I'm one of the terrible ones that has the idea and just does it. I don't really make a plan as such I just take it as it comes. I don't like to borrow money to do it so just do what I can afford and then grow the business as I can afford too. Mostly it's been online businesses but last year there was a vacant shop in town so we made the jump and now have a store front where I cram our 3 businesses (mum is a hair dresser, I have organic and natural things and last year added horsewear) and now I'm looking into adding a dog range because people keep asking us for dog coats, collars and leads. I've found as the postage increases online sales of the heavier things has started to decrease but we are making up for it with people who are able to come in and purchase at the shop. I still maintain the websites with the shop capabilities though since they are relatively inexpensive these days. We aren't registered for the GST, my accountant says you needn't bother with that when your turnover is under $75k.

• 1 year later...

This is probably an old thread, though I found very good reference from Little Gift about starting up new small business, but I do wonder if anyone here in DOL that can share their knowledge on starting on dog treats business? It's mainly for dog cakes and cookies.

do I need council permit to run this from home? licenses etc?

and if I want to start selling on the markets, what do I need to prepare?

thanks in advance :D