Bone Chewing And Degenerative Disc Disease

Hi All,

Gus has recently recovered from a ventral slot decompression of a ruptured cervical disc but now has to be managed for degenerative disc disease (eg, no jumping up or down off things, no rough play, etc).

Prior to his disc rupture, he'd get a big marrow bone once a week or so to help keep his teeth clean. This might sound like a slightly silly question but given his disc rupture was in his neck, will giving him a bone to chew (and chew hard like he does), put him at risk of rupturing other discs?

What are your thoughts? I'm especially keen to hear from those of you who have a dog with degenerative disc disease.

Many thanks

:)

Hi All,

Gus has recently recovered from a ventral slot decompression of a ruptured cervical disc but now has to be managed for degenerative disc disease (eg, no jumping up or down off things, no rough play, etc).

Prior to his disc rupture, he'd get a big marrow bone once a week or so to help keep his teeth clean. This might sound like a slightly silly question but given his disc rupture was in his neck, will giving him a bone to chew (and chew hard like he does), put him at risk of rupturing other discs?

What are your thoughts? I'm especially keen to hear from those of you who have a dog with degenerative disc disease.

Many thanks

Sorry...I don't know anything about DDD, but wouldn't he get better benefit for his teeth if you were to give him turkey necks to chew on :confused: I would imagine that a big marrow bone would only wear his teeth down...not clean them.

Hi All,

Many thanks

Sorry...I don't know anything about DDD, but wouldn't he get better benefit for his teeth if you were to give him turkey necks to chew on :confused: I would imagine that a big marrow bone would only wear his teeth down...not clean them.

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for the reply. Gus has always had meaty marrow bones to chew on and his teeth and clean, strong and in great condition. Not worn down at all.

Ok, so let's assume I'm not feeding marrow bones anymore and he's getting turkey necks. For those of you who have experience with DDD, would he be at risk of a disc rupture from chewing a bone?... turkey, marrow, or other.

thanks

I think this is a question for a vet.

From my experience, my dogs move their neck around a lot while chewing their bones, although it's similar movement to if they were drinking or playing with a toy etc. I, personally, don't think it would cause a rupture, but I am not a vet.

Edited by Mim

I think this is a question for a vet.

From my experience, my dogs move their neck around a lot while chewing their bones, although it's similar movement to if they were drinking or playing with a toy etc. I, personally, don't think it would cause a rupture, but I am not a vet.

Thanks Mim.

hehe, one step ahead of you persephone. :)

I called Gus's surgeon earlier today who said if Gus has never had any prior issues chewing marrow bones then he should be fine. He said it shouldn't cause any damage to his cervical discs.