17 Year Old Shepx In Hawkesbury :(

OMG, for the last year or so there seems to be so many very elderly dogs being left in pounds.

PAWS (Tania) just took a 14 yr old Dachshund cross from Hawkesbury last week and any group that takes seniors generally, has been overwhelmed by them across all of the Sydney pounds and other pounds.

Very sad for the poor old souls who deserve nothing but love and a great home for the whole of their lives.

That's like making your 90 year old grandpa sleep in a windy garage on a camp bed! I really, really hope this is because we have an ageing population finding themselves being moved into nursing homes due to poor health rather than uncaring owners getting rid of their old dogs.

Wouldn't it be nice if the RSPCA came up with an educational program for aged care facilities so they could explain to the elderly and their families what options might be available for the furry friends they can't take with them.

OMG, for the last year or so there seems to be so many very elderly dogs being left in pounds.

PAWS (Tania) just took a 14 yr old Dachshund cross from Hawkesbury last week and any group that takes seniors generally, has been overwhelmed by them across all of the Sydney pounds and other pounds.

Very sad for the poor old souls who deserve nothing but love and a great home for the whole of their lives.

There does seem to be an increase of oldies in the pound lately, breaks my heart :(

I believe the pug has several names on her both rescue and members of the public. The woman who found her wandering also is hoping to adopt her.

If the shepherd was surrendered it may be because of a long held understanding that pounds euthanase for free. They used to be the place you took a dog to have it put to sleep. If she was owned by an elderly person they may have believed she would be kindly put to sleep and they may not realise they are actually kept for a week or more.

Edited by ~Anne~

Oh poor ol' gal :( :( 17 years old.....how anyone can dump any animal they have had in their "care". Let alone a grand old gal is way beyond me & extremely sad. It happens far to frequently.

Like they are disposable. After all their years of devotion to their owner. Sickens me .

Edited by BC Crazy

There does seem to be an increase of oldies in the pound lately, breaks my heart :(

I wonder if this was ever the case, but we know of it more because there are so many people keeping track of dogs in the pounds and posting about them? It is heart breaking to think that people believe a pound is their only option when they can't (or won't) look after an old dog.

I often wonder how Scottie ended up at the pound. He's obviously an old dog and I know he was a stray but I often wonder if he just strayed, was let out or if his owner passed away....

Poor old puppies (and kittens). I follow "golden oldies" on facebook and it is heartbreaking.

I often wonder how Scottie ended up at the pound. He's obviously an old dog and I know he was a stray but I often wonder if he just strayed, was let out or if his owner passed away....

Poor old puppies (and kittens). I follow "golden oldies" on facebook and it is heartbreaking.

Our breed Club had an old fella found down Mildura way.

From what I know he just turned up and got impounded.

NB, I may not have all the facts.

Our Rescue co-ordinator arranged his release, foster care, Vet treatment AND successful re-housing in less time than he was impounded.

Sad for some though.

:cry:

Our breed Club had an old fella found down Mildura way.

From what I know he just turned up and got impounded.

NB, I may not have all the facts.

Our Rescue co-ordinator arranged his release, foster care, Vet treatment AND successful re-housing in less time than he was impounded.

Sad for some though.

:cry:

I think it's sad for all pets but especially the oldies, I have a friend who when she moved out of home took her dog with her (totally normal) then 2 or 3 years later sent the dog back to her parents place because she didnt like the thought of "waking up one morning and finding a dead dog in the back yard"... Seriously, I can't bear the thought of any of my pets (Scottie, or extended family pets like my parents 'pride' of mental cases) being anywhere else but in a warm bed being spoiled rotten in their old age.

But very very good news the the one above :)