My Heart Is Breaking...

poochiemama

Unfortunately , I recently saw something about animal abuse on TV and for the past few days, can't get the disturbing images out of my mind/feeling tearful/constantly worried about the fate of animals. Of course I know this sort of thing goes on, but for some reason it really hit me hard this time. How do you all, being animal lovers, cope? Especially those in rescue...I've always wanted to volunteer at a shelter, but I just get so traumatised by these kinds of stories. Sorry for the depressing post, just needed some support.

It's tough isn't it? I sometimes look in the dol rescue thread, my boy was separated from his buddy in the pound so I hope she might come up. A few weeks ago a pair of large boofers came up. Somehow this pair got in under my skin and they didn't make it. I so wish I hadn't seen them.

You can read some happy stories. I'm facebook friends with pugs SOS and they're very uplifting.

Edited by hankdog

I'd recommend volunteering with a rescue group rather than at a shelter or at least if it is a shelter then it has a very low euthanasia rate. You can also see outcomes that will help you feel positive and which you have contributed to in part.

years ago I worked at the AWL - I'd walk the beautiful dogs - most large and very large dogs for up to 6 months, every weekend and sometimes during the week. I honestly adored them. Most of them were put to sleep and after nearly 3 years, I was an emotional wreck and unable to continue.

A couple of years later I started with a rescue group and it was a lot more positive.

Since 2004 I've done a lot of rescue myself and it is the worst cases that I can't save that still affect me years later. If you truly care deeply for and love animals, it will always be hard.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Guest donatella

I've just become a vegetarian after weeks of horrific images on the animals Australia Facebook page showing the poor treatment of livestock. I cannot put meat to my mouth knowing they are possibly treated like this before slaughter!

I thought this heart ache over visually seeing something disturbing happening to an animal only happened to me poochiemama. I relive horrific images that I may have stumbled across on line by accident over & over. I have night mares a lot about the misery that dogs may be going through at the hands of some evil humans. When it is raining at night & we are all tucked up cosy in our beds. I cry for the dogs that are chained outside in the freezing cold without the 4 simplest things. Shelter, food & water.... & most importantly to be loved.

I work at a shelter and something I always find uplifting is how incredibly resilient animals are. Even those who have been through terrible things are almost always able to move on from it and adjust well to a new, happier situation. They don't dwell on things like we do, they just know that now things are good :)

Thanks for all your words which have given me some comfort tonight...also, it gave me relief to think of all the dog lovers on this forum, who care so much for their pets. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that even though the world can be cruel, there are also a lot of good people out there.

Honestly, I switch off.

If I was to break down every time I saw something cruel I don't think I'd ever be happy again :(

There is so much darkness in the world but there is good too and it's the good you have to find and focus on.

Yes Bjelkier, I think I need to switch off from it...although it's getting harder to do now with these types of images all over the internet, news, and randomly popping up on facebook status updates. But for my own sanity, I need to literally distract myself . It helps when I feel like I'm taking good care of my own dogs...I can't save the world.

Unfortunately , I recently saw something about animal abuse on TV and for the past few days, can't get the disturbing images out of my mind/feeling tearful/constantly worried about the fate of animals. Of course I know this sort of thing goes on, but for some reason it really hit me hard this time. How do you all, being animal lovers, cope? Especially those in rescue...I've always wanted to volunteer at a shelter, but I just get so traumatised by these kinds of stories. Sorry for the depressing post, just needed some support.

I never intentionally watch anything on television about animal cruelty. It is bad enough that horrifying images pop up on my news feed. In fact, a couple of nights ago, after being unwittingly exposed to some pretty awful examples, I had nightmares :(:(

One of the things that makes me angry is that although a warning might be issued at the beginning of the actual program, there is no warning before advertisements for the show are aired.

I also have absolutely no interest in travelling ANYWHERE in the orient or South America. I am not going to spend my money in countries where cruelty to animals, birds, fish - all living things - is a casual part of everyday life.

How people volunteer at pounds which have weekly kill lists is beyond me and yet some people manage to do it for weeks, months, years and I am in total awe that their dedication is such that they can continue to do it. My first experience with a pound was a very small pound, Burwood Pound in Sydney which was a low kill as you could possible get in that only dogs who were very aggressive or horribly injured/sick were euthanised. However, I still remember the first time a dog I'd walked, played with, cuddled and valued was euthanised. I was a total blubbering wreck. I still remember her name, her breed and her article in the local paper. And that was 13-14 years ago.

There are other things a person can do without having to be exposed to things they know they can't handle. :)

Just wanted to add poochiemama. Try not to look at too much nasty stuff online if possible. Especially late at night. Just a suggestion. Found it does help a bit.Some of us are just born too sensitive for this world at times IMHO. So we may need to steel ourselves somewhat emotionally. Redirect our mind set & our focus. Try to remain positive. It is not easy to do & takes practise & time but you can teach yourself improved coping skills.

Edited by BC Crazy

It makes me mad too that there is no warning for those news reports...What if a child saw that? How in the world do you explain this kind of thing to a kid?

DD darling, how sad that the dog you walked/loved/played with had to be euthanised...but how sweet that the dog got to experience that with you. I guess that's what I'm trying to remind myself...that we can make a difference in our own way.

Edited by poochiemama

Thanks Bc Crazy...that's good advice. Things often do seem a little brighter during the day than at night. I'm watching something funny on youtube right now and it's helping :) I really appreciate everyone's support tonight. It's been a long time since I've been on dolforums but these forums have taught me so much ...

That's another great point, that dog didn't know it was going to be put to sleep, all it ( and all the others ) knew was that people came and walked it and played with it and made sure it was safe and loved it up until the end of its life. And that makes an absolutely huge difference to that dog :)

I guess that's what I'm trying to remind myself...that we can make a difference in our own way.

You've hit the nail on the head, poochiemama. We are all very different and all have very different levels of ability, creativity, pain (physical and mental) thresholds.

A couple of places you might be interested in are Edgar's Mission in Victoria and Brightside Farm Sanctuary in Tasmania. These are places that do extraordinary things for animals of all kinds .... truly awe inspiring.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I feel exactly the same as you. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

I sleep poorly after being exposed to upsetting images that occasionally pop up on Facebook and feel sick in the stomach for days after hearing about animal cruelty.

Why do I feel ill about animal cruelty more than domestic violence, or even child abuse, dare I say it? I've been struggling with this for a long time.

I am also dumbfounded at how cruel some humans can be, yet try to remind myself of the many wonderful people in this world.

Be kind to yourself :)