My Heart Is Breaking...

poochiemama

Thanks Tara...yup, I often find myself more traumatised by the stories of animal cruelty than cruelty to humans...it's irrational, but it's the way it is. I feel somehow responsible for the atrocities of the world, because I'm part of the human race. But then I think of all the beautiful people out there who love animals, and my heart lifts a little.

I was a bit nervous about writing this post, but I'm glad I did, because it helped me get some perspective. Also, who knows, maybe someone out there who is in a similar boat might read this thread and feel comforted.

I think a lot of what is posted by groups like Animals Australia tends to be the worst of the worst, things intended to shock and horrify people, without really offering any practical solutions besides an entirely vegan lifestyle (which is not possible or practical for many people, something which adds to the feeling of helplessness for many).

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that some of these groups have agendas and they will only present information that supports that agenda. Seeing footage of a cow being mishandled is certainly horrible but you have to ask if it is indicative of how the entire industry functions or if it is something that is generally considered unacceptable practice for that industry. In some cases (like Chinese fur farming), you don't have to look too far to see that serious welfare problems are accepted as normal but on the other hand, raising sheep for human consumption (in somewhere like Australia) is managed very differently and with welfare standards to protect the animals. This isn't to say that sometimes individuals (or even companies) ignore those standards but these are usually exceptions and they can have serious consequences.

Same goes for dogs, really. I've been rescuing for a while and although I've seen things that have upset me, I cope fairly well. Having said that, coping mechanisms are going to vary a lot between individuals so I could completely understand if someone else couldn't do it- it's definitely not easy.

As Simply Grand said, dogs are so freaking resilient that you get a sick or broken rescue dog and they start coming around with your TLC and it is so much easier to focus on how amazing their recovery is that it over shadows any grief you might feel for what happened to them to make them that way. Our youngest is not very trusting of other people but trusts me implicitly. The other night she had an armpit rash and I put some cream on it and it seemed to really hurt her while I was doing it. The look on her face nearly broke my heart. She avoided me for about three days afterwards, unable to forget that I'd hurt her. She wouldn't even come to sleep with me till after I'd already gone to bed and settled. Then all of a sudden I woke one morning and she was giving me morning kisses and cuddles again like all was forgiven (possibly never forgotten). I hate that what happened to her when she was younger has made her so wary, even of me at times, because she can be such a happy, loving and gentle girl that makes us laugh a lot.

I watch a lot of those American animal cop shows. Some of the stories remain stuck in my mind but I try to remember that dogs live so much in the moment that once they are safe, healthy and loved they have the capacity to leave all that sadness behind and live a full life. I wish it was that easy for us humans.

I worked in statutory child protection for many years and it would be hard to shock me, but despite everything I used to deal with at work I always felt a need to be involved in animal rescue in my down time. It's like I don't want to forget what humans are capable of to animals. I don't ever want to feel detached or immune to that kind of abuse because to me it is as unforgiveable as child abuse. There are also links between the two in real life - adults who abuse and neglect their kids are highly likely to be doing just the same to any household pets.

Edited by Little Gifts

Thank you for your very thoughtful posts ... I think it's so true about remembering many of these organisations have agendas. Listening to the horror stories gives a skewed picture and you start to believe it's all doom and gloom.

Instead of focussing on the negative, try and focus on the positive. For example when it comes to farming, supporting smaller producers that offer paddock to plate services so you know exactly where your food is from (it is not all or nothing - there are alternatives and they can be found in places like farmers markets around the country). I do tend to 'switch off' too - those who post horror on my newsfeed are unfriended (or hidden) and I choose to avoid as much as possible those articles or programs that will upset me. It doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that bad happens. But we need to control the information we subject ourselves to or be overwhelmed by it. Being overwhelmed just creates a catatonic despair where we feel we can't help and can't make a difference. But the small things we do, DO make a difference. Seek out those that seek workable solutions to problems in a positive way rather than those who seek to overwhelm people with the horror of it all.

Hi poochiemama

It is amazing the power of a place like DOL forums. It really is. I am only new to the forum, but already I have read so much advice and opinions on here that I can heartily agree with. The collective wealth of information and support here is truly amazing.

I too struggle sometimes when I think about the horrific situations that poor defenceless animals find themselves in. :mad There are horrid people out there and there is no denying that, and there are situations that NEED to be changed and/or legislated against. I am a complete bleeding heart when it comes to animals... I too feel a very personal hurt when I see or read about some of the things that go on.

The way I cope with it is simple though. I have six pets (3 rescues) and I do my darnedest to make sure they all have the best quality of life and happiest time they can. Sure they are only six pets out of a world of animals, but I am making a difference to their lives. If I show others responsible pet ownership, then I think in my own small way, I am doing something for the betterment of other animals (hopefully when my vet nurse study is completed I can have a greater impact).

Also, I choose free range products when I can and I sign petitions daily to add my voice to the others of us who want change for the better. I also support animal welfare agencies as best I can.

Like many others have said prior to me, bad stuff does happen and that's not to be ignored, but if we all treat the animals WE come in to contact with with respect then I think that that counts for a lot. :thumbsup:

It's also helpful to put things in historical perspective.

Treatment of animals (ok, not factory farm animals, particularly swine) has gradually improved over the decades and centuries. Things we consider abuse were standard practice in the past. More and more dogs live in the home, rather than being left in the yard. Dogfighting still exists, but only as an outlaw activity, not as mainstream entertainment. Abuse of working dogs still happens, but not the way it did in the days when dogs were used to turn spits. Spey/neuter programs result in fewer unwanted pups being born . . . and fewer pups being killed. More and more places have banned chaining dogs out.

Thank you for your very thoughtful posts ... I think it's so true about remembering many of these organisations have agendas. Listening to the horror stories gives a skewed picture and you start to believe it's all doom and gloom.

Yep.

Breeders (of dogs) are a good example there. For every one that makes the news for abuse or neglect, there are thousands of others who love and care for their animals. Unfortunately, those good breeders would not support the argument so they're not shown. You really can't rely on AR groups to offer a balanced view of the situation so for some things, you do have to do your own research.

I work in 4 pounds and especially at this time of year not all make it. Sometimes one really gets under your skin more than others. If I can I always go and sit with the dog as it's euthanised because they usually bond with me during my visits and temp assessing/general interaction. The vet is really good though and will tell the dog what a good boy/girl it is and they are usually wagging their tails before they go which makes it better for them but harder for most of us. After that I usually have a day or two off talking about the pound as I need a break emotionally. Luckily that doesn't happen very often and I try not to become attached to the dogs I care for generally because it is a pound and there is no guarantee.

Edited by mixeduppup

Yep.

Breeders (of dogs) are a good example there. For every one that makes the news for abuse or neglect, there are thousands of others who love and care for their animals. Unfortunately, those good breeders would not support the argument so they're not shown. You really can't rely on AR groups to offer a balanced view of the situation so for some things, you do have to do your own research.

Yes. If these same AR groups came out with a video of one breeder abusing their dogs and once again told everyone to boycott all breeders based on that video, I can just imagine the outrage here on DOL. Why is it different when they do it about livestock?

That's very tough MUP, whether you are attached to them or not it is still a sad and needless waste of a life and a trauma for those who love animals to go through so it still cuts you, some deeper than others. Thank you for offering comfort to those animals who didn't get out. More people need to know about this happening, it goes on day after day all over Australia. Very sad.

Poochiemama, when you are feeling sad, try and remember that there are some truly amazing individuals out there making a difference to animals in need - I just saw this on Facebook and it brought tears to my eyes:

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogsarefamily/posts/5790-this-amazing-rescue-of-an-abandoned-rottweiler-living-in-the-wild-will-touch-your-heart-video

:thumbsup:

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Warn FB friends that you don't want to see animal abuse images and unfriend them if they keep it up.

There are a lot of dreadful things happening in the world and you have to take care of yourself. Insulate yourself from such stuff. Animal abuse stories on TV are a channel changer for me.

Yep.

Yes. If these same AR groups came out with a video of one breeder abusing their dogs and once again told everyone to boycott all breeders based on that video, I can just imagine the outrage here on DOL. Why is it different when they do it about livestock?

This quote springs to mind..

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out. - Martin Niemöller

And if anyone thinks they aren't comparable situations, they really don't understand just how extremist some of these groups are behind the "we love bunnies" facade.

IF anyone is interested, Coursera and the University of Edinburgh are running a 5-week online course called "Animal Behaviour and Welfare"

https://www.coursera.org/course/animal

It started yesterday. Just letting you know there are some images and videos in the slides that can be distressing (pigs in enclosures, horses struggling to pull extremely heavy loads) but so far, I haven't come across anything as graphic as what pops up on Facebook. The lecturers have a statement of ethics regarding these images, clarifying how they came across these videos.

The first week has introduced me to the use of objective measures of animal welfare and the history of animal welfare. Interestingly, at one stage the Catholic Church banned the RSPCA in Rome. The first week has given me a bit to think about and process, especially ethics vs animal welfare. A lot of people posting here probably have a strong grasp of what the course covered but I am enjoying it as a "hobby" animal person :)