Looking For Breeder Of Adopted Rescue Dog

Snippy

As a few of you would know by now, I recently adopted a Samoyed from a shelter. The thing is, I have no idea about his heritage and I would really like to know a bit more... Also I know that if I had raised a puppy and sold him to someone in good faith, I would want to know his whereabouts and that he was safe, secure and loved. In fact, I KNOW I would rather the dog was sent back to me rather than sent to a shelter.

I have contacted a few organisations, but with no success thus far. Unfortunately, despite my explicit explanations, several seemed to think I was trying to re home him, rather than to find out his place of origin and the others were unable to help me due to privacy laws.

I know that he was from a breeder from Victoria and that he was born in early Feb 2013. He is a Male Samoyed. He is desexed (but obviously I am unable to ascertain whether this was done prior to leaving the breeder or afterwards. What I was able to ascertain is he was microchipped in Victoria in March 2013. I would suggest this would have been by the breeder given that he would have been a maximum of 8wks old. He was surrendered to a shelter in South Australia, so that might also be a help to anyone who may have sent a puppy interstate.

If anyone has any ideas who the breeder may be or where I may be able to find out, please, please get in touch with me. If you don't want to answer publicly then PLEASE PM me. I would really love to have contact with his breeder, if for no other reason than to show them what a handsome fellow he is now!

Thankyou in advance

Snippy

Have you contacted DogsVic? If you have a microchip number and a month of birth they may be able to search registrations? (If the microchip was recorded on the rego). They should at least be able to tell you what litters were registered for that month.

Edited by espinay2

The following litters are published in the Dogs Victoria gazette.

Kalaska - whelped 21/1/13 (June 13 Gazette)

Kalaska - whelped 5/2/13 (July Gazette)

Kalaska - whelped 14/1/13 (July Gazette)

Snowispa - whelped 29/3/13 (July gazette)

I would try following up on the first prefix as they seem to have quite a few litters, two more litters in December and more in May.

You might be able to track these people through the DOL breeders site or the Breed Club.

Good luck with you search Snippy.

A few years ago I by chance heard about a dog that I bred being rehomed. Initially I was not sure whether it was one of mine, but when I saw him I figured he could well be and so I told the owners that he was microchipped and sent them off to have his chip read. This confirmed who he was. the new owners, long time devotees of the breed were delighted that they were able to learn the identity of their Fred, that he had a name and registration and most of all he had a birthdate for them to celebrate. He will be 9 next month and is in one of the best homes anyone could ask for.

Sadly the previous owners, despite promising me that would let me know if they could not keep him did not do so and not only that but they lied about how well things were going and led me to believe that they still had the dog. Possibly as it happened things although not ideal worked out better this way.

A few years ago I by chance heard about a dog that I bred being rehomed. Initially I was not sure whether it was one of mine, but when I saw him I figured he could well be and so I told the owners that he was microchipped and sent them off to have his chip read. This confirmed who he was. the new owners, long time devotees of the breed were delighted that they were able to learn the identity of their Fred, that he had a name and registration and most of all he had a birthdate for them to celebrate. He will be 9 next month and is in one of the best homes anyone could ask for.

Sadly the previous owners, despite promising me that would let me know if they could not keep him did not do so and not only that but they lied about how well things were going and led me to believe that they still had the dog. Possibly as it happened things although not ideal worked out better this way.

That made me cry.... sad that the first owners were sh*ts but happy Fred 'got' lucky.

My Heart dog was a rescue. I understand exactly what is involved.

:heart:

See, THAT is what I want. I want to know what his history is. I want to know what his pedigree name is (assuming he has one). I want to see if his parents are still around (Canine Parents). I am an avid scrapbooker in my spare time and I simply adore doing projects that are to do with my pets. The ones I have done for my now retired show cats are some of my best work. It's nice because when you reach the point in life where you have to let a beloved pet go, you have all these treasured memories beautifully laid out in front of you. It is terribly sentimental, I know, but that's how I am. I would adore to see puppy photos too, if they have any.

I also want to know from a health point of view, ie. if they have found some of their lines have been more prone to certain conditions than others. Obviously, you would hope that whoever they are, they have done the right thing and gone for healthy lines for breeding in the first place, but...(enough said).

I am in the process of writing a letter to Dogs Vic to see if they are able to assist me. I do have his microchip number at hand and an estimated birthdate, so hopefully that is enough.

I'm really happy that Fred has worthy owners now :) It really warms the heart!

I have just sent a link to this thread to a friend who shows Samoyeds in Vic and asked them to put the word out. The dogs world is s very small place and I am sure that if this dog came from a registered breeder, you will be able to find them. Just a couple of days ago a 12 month old registered BC was offered for sale on Gumtree. With FB connections and the date of birth listed on the ad, his breeder was tracked down within hours and she has organised to collect and pay for him to get him back.

I have just sent a link to this thread to a friend who shows Samoyeds in Vic and asked them to put the word out. The dogs world is s very small place and I am sure that if this dog came from a registered breeder, you will be able to find them. Just a couple of days ago a 12 month old registered BC was offered for sale on Gumtree. With FB connections and the date of birth listed on the ad, his breeder was tracked down within hours and she has organised to collect and pay for him to get him back.

Truly caring.

:heart:

From memory.

Not sure if you can do it in VIC but chips are sold in batches.

Chip manufacturers can sometimes tell you where the chip (batch) was sold, if it was the breeder's vet who chipped the dog then that's a direct way of having the vet contact them for you.

In NSW there is also the chipper's ID but I'm not sure if that gets recorded on the register.

edit: yes on my NSW C.A.R. records there is an 'authorised identifier number'. Every chipper has their own.

Edited by Powerlegs

Good luck.

My first dog, Emma, came from the RSPCA. But I had her chip number which also had her exact date of birth, kept her original name I knew which suburb she had come from. Through some chance meetings and someone who insisted that my BC was a purebred I found out who her breeder was and got in contact with them to let them know I had one of their dogs and that she was in an exceptionally loving home. They were so grateful to find all this out and I am still in contact with them one way or another.

It was wonderfful for me to find out about the short time she had with the breeder (she was a show puppy!), but I think it was even better for them knowing where their dog had ended up.

Keep up the chase. The small dog world will turn up something at some stage!

Hours - think it took us about 20 mins on that 1. LOL

Somewhere there will be a breeder sad to know he ended up in a shelter but pleased to hear he is in a great home now. Good luck!

Yes will be following with great interest. :crossfingers: good luck in your search Snippy.

Slightly OT for a second folks.

By the way went luring on the Sammi's breed pages & spotted your boy. He is stunning... :love:

His coat will improve, don't worry. Nothing that a good diet & care wont fix. Which he probably hasn't had much

of neither in quite some time. Give him a big fluffy cuddle for me :D

Crikeys! Thanks dancinbcs! I appreciate you doing that for me :) Great news that the BC breeder was tracked down so fast :)

From memory.

Not sure if you can do it in VIC but chips are sold in batches.

Chip manufacturers can sometimes tell you where the chip (batch) was sold, if it was the breeder's vet who chipped the dog then that's a direct way of having the vet contact them for you.

In NSW there is also the chipper's ID but I'm not sure if that gets recorded on the register.

edit: yes on my NSW C.A.R. records there is an 'authorised identifier number'. Every chipper has their own.

Awesome Powerlegs! Thankyou for your helpful info on the chips. I will definitely be looking at that. As I said initially, I was able to identify (via CAR) that

The FDX-B chip number (removed chip no.) was implanted on the 19th March 2013 and is listed on the Central Animal Records database with accompanying animal and owner details

However despite my contacting them two weeks ago, I have received no response.

My thoughts were that if I contacted them BEFORE the change of details were applied, then I might be in with a chance. I would think that by now, the details would be updated to mine. I don't know if chips have a memory? Do they keep the old information on file in archive or is it a case of once details are updated, all history is lost? Perhaps someone out there knows...

Snippy, I would love to know the outcome of your investigations. Can you let us know how you go? Good luck.

I will certainly let the DOL community know the outcome of my search. Odds are it will be because of all the help from DOL-ers that I will find out :) I really cannot emphasise how much I appreciate the help I am being given with this!

Yes will be following with great interest. :crossfingers: good luck in your search Snippy.

Slightly OT for a second folks.

By the way went luring on the Sammi's breed pages & spotted your boy. He is stunning... :love:

His coat will improve, don't worry. Nothing that a good diet & care wont fix. Which he probably hasn't had much

of neither in quite some time. Give him a big fluffy cuddle for me :D

BC Crazy... You flatterer, you. He has gone all sheepish now I told him that :D

Once he is groomed properly and fit to be seen this place will be snowing Samoyed pictures, hehe!

A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE!!!

Just wondering if you have heard anything back from your contacts dancinbcs? (please say yes) :laugh:

I have contacted a prominent breeder from Vic to let them know of the situation, fingers crossed I hear back from them soon.

Not quite sure what to say/how to say it in my letter to Dogs Vic...