Front Feet Turning Out Slightly In Puppy

my almost 7 month old puppy (shetland sheepdog)'s front feet are turning out slightly. We've been seeing a chirovet who thinks it will right itself in time as he gets better (he suspects it is because of a slight injury). I am after any suggestions for things I can be doing in terms of diet, exercise or stretches etc. Any ideas?

Thanks

My BC has front feet that turn out somewhat (I call them his ballet feet!!). I also was told that as he matures it should right itself to some extent, and that has proven true in the last few months. He's a slow maturer and in the last few months his chest has been dropping and the extent to which his feet turn out is getting less. I was also told that just gold old walking is good for building up the muscle in the area and this can help. Obviously all of this is relevant if it is just due to maturity not due to some other problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Get yourself some Wagner Ester C tablets ASAP. Give the dog one a day to start with (in food), and build up to one in morning and one at night in food. It's Vit C and is excreted if you give too much. Worst possible side effect is loose bowels while the dog gets used to it. This - plus making sure you are not using a high-protein puppy food - will both help the east west feet issue immensely.

Get yourself some Wagner Ester C tablets ASAP. Give the dog one a day to start with (in food), and build up to one in morning and one at night in food. It's Vit C and is excreted if you give too much. Worst possible side effect is loose bowels while the dog gets used to it. This - plus making sure you are not using a high-protein puppy food - will both help the east west feet issue immensely.

Agree with Ester C but watch dosage...................this often corrects with maturity and chest development, may take two or three years, if it were one leg I'd blame possible injury but not so likely with both........looks awful when they prop like that but increasingly they stand straight and front movement is often great regardless...........my dogs are all related, it's a feature I've learnt to live with

Not sure about other working breeds, but a working BCs feet should turn out somewhat, it aids in the sideways movement and quick direction changes required for working stock. They should still move forwards nicely though, its only obvious when standing still :) Not all chiros are aware of it in working breeds (ours used to always comment on their feet LOL) but Pat Hasting's does actually make mention of it in her book. I don't know enough about the original working purposes of Shelties, but still something to consider.