Breed Suggestions For A Young Family

Little Bear

I think it really depends on lines. I have a working bred kelpie but I picked a very cruisy relaxed pup from the litter and she's been a great housepet. I think you'd want to be very careful though if you don't have a fairly good eye for picking temperaments in pups.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cavalier and think they are the best breed ever! Calm, friendly and happy dogs. Very intelligent and very quick to learn. They are awesome dogs around kids. Mine isn't sure of very young kids, but I would say that is coz she isn't living with young kids so isn't use to them, where yours will be used to it from day one. Some cavs are very motivated by food, others are finicky. But even my finicky cav is motivated by special treats at training.

Other thought is a cocker spaniel. They were actually our second choice of a breed but we went with a cav coz of their smaller size. They are more active than the cavs from what I understand although cavs definitely aren't couch potatoes.

These were the two breeds that seemed most suitable around kids from what I found when researching.

Thanks Natsu chan that's great to know, I think I'll try & contact Billand & see if I can get some more info on Collies, it's a shame they don't have a breed101 thread on here.

I was thinking of contacting Noonbarra kelpies as it says on their website they have some suitable for pets & they match their puppies to the right people, so I think he'd be good to chat to & see if we'd be suitable for a kelpie.

Can anyone recommend a Cavalier breeder I could contact? I know there's a list of breeders but if anyone has had good experiences with one that would be good. (Or send me a message if you can't say on here)

Thanks again everyone, I've really appreciated the help

Here you go Little Bear, Tania and her mum do dog sports as well as show, and Tania is just lovely. :)

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=TANIA

Smooth Collies are fairly uncommon, they are lovely but their energy level varies. They tend to be less active than Kelpies and they are not terribly difficult to train (though Collies in general do detest doing the same thing over and over). There's a lady with roughs in SA who does a lot of agility with her collies and another lady who has just started doing agility with her smooth over there too. I think a smooth could work for you but it is always best to know what you are letting yourself in for!

Edited by Natsu chan

Thank you Natsu chan, I will send them an email. Are rough collies difficult to learn how to groom?

VizslaMomma - I do wonder if maybe I shouldn't have crossed Boxers off the list so early, at least with one of those I'd know what I was in for :laugh:

Powerlegs - That video is hilarious!! :rofl:

:) Roughs aren't difficult to groom the main issue is keeping on top of it. Once you let it go you get problems. However you do find some lines have more abundant coats than others. Smooths are much easier in that regard and temperament wise also a bit more relaxed about the world. Roughs can be noise sensitive.

. Do breeds mature at different rates?

Yes they tend to mature differently even between sexes, imo.

You could still consider a Boxer.

:D

I'm a new fan of boxers since seeing this the other day :rofl:

http://youtu.be/Hly0vuXPG-M

Love that video, mine was much quieter when he tried the trampoline. :laugh:

I agree with others who suggested the CKCS. I know a handful of families with young kids who have them. Wonderful little dogs.

I was going to suggest cavaliers :D

I may be a bit biased but they're wonderful.

Mine would fit the bill- only one of mine sheds alot, the others are rather lightly coated and dont really shed.

Though i dont think this is typical haha

I do agility with Deniki and Kokoda :) Though koda is injured so having a break from it at the moment.

they are very easily trainable, love food, people and kids. though they are small so kids have to be gentle with them.

I would say i walk them once a day for about an hour and a bit of free running as well, and we go to training on tues and wed nights, but they dont go crazy if you miss a walk which is what i love.

ETA I don't know about breeders outside of QLD, but the two that I see recommended ALL the time are Kabob and Kahleyvale.

Both in QLD but i would say ship interstate.

Sorry i couldn't be much help there.

Edited by denali

Thanks denali, I shall see if I can contact them, it just feels a bit safer going with people who are recommended (By the way your cavaliers are gorgeous!)

I do love Boxers and I'm sure I'll have another in the future :) it'll be nice having a breed people don't cross the road to avoid for a change though. I once walked around a corner with my old Boxer & a woman screamed , I don't know who got more of a fright the woman or Toby!

Thanks denali, I shall see if I can contact them, it just feels a bit safer going with people who are recommended (By the way your cavaliers are gorgeous!)

I do love Boxers and I'm sure I'll have another in the future :) it'll be nice having a breed people don't cross the road to avoid for a change though. I once walked around a corner with my old Boxer & a woman screamed , I don't know who got more of a fright the woman or Toby!

We had boxers and GSD's before we got our cavs.

We opted for the smaller dog as we moved into the city and our yard was tiny. Not really fair for a big dog.

The cavs have the same happy-go-lucky attitude as the boxers, just less boisterous and clownish :) And obviously smaller haha

Think about getting a Koolie - they are excellent with children and love to be part of the family. Koolie Rescue has some puppies at the moment which are not quite ready to leave their Mum. Have a look at the Koolie Rescue page on Facebook.

Thanks denali, that's really good to know. I do think Cavaliers are at the top of my list :)

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all the help and suggestions, I feel alot more confident to attend some shows & meet some dogs now :D

If it makes you feel any better there are plenty of people who freak out over any dog, even small or very docile looking ones. I walked my (very chilled pet therapy) basset hound around a corner last week and a small child screamed and her mother(?) dragged her away like my dog was about to eat her. It was pretty clear where the child got her fear from sadly. My dog stood still and sniffed something near my foot, didn't even look at the family. It probably was nothing to do with your dog being a boxer and just a factor of your dog being a dog. My boss brings her boxer to work every day and we always get lots of oos and aahs and lovely feedback about her so if your heart is with boxers then I wouldn't strike them off the list yet.