First Time Puppy Owner Needing Help

Tusker

Hi all, newbie to this forum and to owning a puppy.

Yesterday we picked up our 8 week old lab x kelpie pup who we named tusker.

We have her set up outside in a done up old chicken coop so kind of like a pen, has her kennel, food, toys, shelter and some space for her in there. We have one of those $6 circle pet beds from big w, 2 pet blankets from kmart, a cut off the blanket from her litter where we got her and a hot water bottle for night in her kennel.

First night she barked for about an hour then fell asleep, she woke at 5:30am barking and I had a bad anxiety attack over what to do as I didn't want to piss off the neighbours, so I went down to top up her food and came back inside which only made her more distressed. so I ended up getting her and bringing her inside to our laundry (which is between our bedroom and bathroom) She remained quiet for the rest of the morning!

Today, had to leave around 9am to take my son to playgroup and go have an ultrasound of my next bub so left her in the laundry til 8:15.. then took her back outside, fed her, played with her for 20-30 mins then locked her back into her pen, she barked straight away, but no idea how long for as I had to leave.

Came home at 1:30-2pm and played with her ALL afternoon as I felt bad for leaving her all morning, she napped on my lap for 20mins at one stage.

Once it got dark around 5:30pm and hubby got home I got her hot bottle water ready again, food and puppy milk. Left her in her pen and came inside, she barked for maybe 15-20 mins then silence! I thought AWESOME 2nd night was much better, but about an hour later she atarted up again and probably continued for an hour and a half! She's finally quiet again now so hoping she is out for the night.

I also left notes for the neighbours to apologise for the early wake up and we are really wanting to have her be an outside dog and we appreciate their patience while she settles, one got back to us saying it was no problem but the other we have not heard from.

What I guess I want to know is, am I doing the right thing?? Should I be letting her bark it out? or should I be calling out "enough" or should the first week or so should we keep her in the laundry? (I really don't want her getting used to that though)

We are looking at taking her to a puppy school soon too.

I just hate the anxiety that comes with listening to her bark! I just hope I am doing the right thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the middle of winter, she's 8 weeks old, never been away from her litter before and you've put her outside in the cold with no one.

It's been in the negatives in NSW the past few nights. You would be crying too.

the cheap bed is inside an expensive kennel.

So I am guessing most of us here are all for the inside dog then.

ETA - she was sleeping outside at the place we got her from, I know she would have had her litter with her then too but thought the hot water bottle would help with that?

Edited by Tusker

My last dog was an outside dog for most his life. He still wasn't outside in the middle of winter at 8 weeks old.

So I am just meant to bring her in every winter because its cold outside?

Thanks Rebanne!! Will look into them!! and the teddies!!

My last dog was an outside dog for most his life. He still wasn't outside in the middle of winter at 8 weeks old.

So I am just meant to bring her in every winter because its cold outside?

Thanks Rebanne!! Will look into them!! and the teddies!!

See bolded.

For a little puppy to be so separated from family would be hard, she doesn't know what's happening - only that it's cold and she's lonely out there. We are a forum of dog lovers and will have great sympathy for a pup outside in the middle of winter.

With my last pup, I think I found a great formula for happiness all around and it was the easiest puppy raising I've had!

We created a penned off area in the house, put a bed in there, toys and water. Because of where we set it up, she had private outside access during the day (private as in separate from my other dog). Basically this is where she learnt to be by herself but with the safety of knowing we were around. She learnt to self entertain with toys and toilet training was a breeze as whenever she whimpered, it was straight outside on the grass with the command "wees" - she very quickly learnt what a whimper would make US do, and what the word wees meant for her. If she whimpered/cried for no reason after visiting outside she was ignored and there was no excessive noise at all. Yes there were late nights for toileting purposes (11pm) and early starts (6am) but it was so worth it.

And she now spends her days outside and sleeps inside of a night in a crate.

thanks for the help mixeduppup - when did you start putting them outside to sleep then?

Once they were about 4-5 months old I started slowly introducing them to being outside alone but made it very very inviting and used to give them a kong or a big bone to chew on to keep them occupied. (make sure bone is raw if you do that). I would personally wait until spring before starting outside learning.

Edited by mixeduppup

Many people here have dogs who live outside most/all of the time but I do agree with the sentiment that it is too cold for a lone pup to be outside right now. We always started our pups in the laundry/spare bathroom and transferred them to sleeping outside in spring-summer when the nights are mild and they were happy to spend more time out there.

would keeping her outside in her pen during the day while we're out be acceptable in winter?

of course, as long as it's big enough for her. I think all dogs should be used to sleeping inside and outside.

would keeping her outside in her pen during the day while we're out be acceptable in winter?

That's fine, just make sure she has adequate warm shelter for extra cold and wet days. Night time is a different matter for tiny puppies.

Tusker - we have working/outdoor dogs - but the middle of Winter is not an ideal time to start off a single baby puppy outdoors . Have you checked the temperature out there in that kennel? :(

When pup was with her littermates/mother- they would have snuggled together for warmth...familiar smells, warmth and comfort = happy sleepy pup.

Baby puppies do not have thick coats ..and chill/get hot very fast.

It's good you have a bit of her home blanket too.

A H/W bottle is not a bad idea ..BUT can very easily be punctured by little teeth - then you have a wet & cold bed/puppy.

For my dogs/pups/cats - indoor and out - I use a 2 or 3 ltr juice bottle - the strong clear plastic ones - Berri juice etc.

Fill them with hot ,hot tap water - slip a large "explorer"type sock up over them ..tip upside down and wait a minute or so to check there are no leaks . If NO moisture at all ..then wrap in a pillowcase, or a woolly jumper .. ..then place under the blankets in dog bed .

I use these, frozen, in Summer as well .

make sure the door of the kennel is facing away from the cold south/westerlies , and nail some thing like a thick teatowel across the top of the door - like a curtain - she can easily push it in & out - and may help keep in some warmth ...

I also strongly suggest "insulation" , by putting a thick layer of newspaper on the kennel floor .... and , if you can - get a WOOL blanket , or real feather doona from a salvos or opshop ..and stuff that in against the back .... Hopefully the kennel is under a roof too - that will keep it a fraction warmer .

a large meaty bone . in the kennel ....any sort ...will give her something to chew on ..and provide good warming food .