How To Start A Fight At The Dog Park!

Yonjuro

Don't blame the dogs! Blame the idiot owner who decided treats were a good idea amongst a big group of dogs of unknown behaviour around food. dunce.gif

Resource guarding is not a restricted to any breed or breeds. Best dust up I've seen over food was between a big bunch of Golden Retrievers over a picnic table laden with food. Never seen a more shocked bunch of owners either. Thank God for good bite inhibition - it was sound and fury only

This was the sentiment I was trying to get across. Nothing to do with the staffy, just a moronic action by the owner that could have fatal consequences.

Yonjuro, Thank Dog, both of you got out of the situation caused by total idiocy.

From what I am seeing of 'Dog Parks', thei name should be changed to Dumb Park. Humans let the side down badly. Losing confidence in being at one if another dog/human arrives. Not had issues as yet. And intend to keep it that way.

:)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've heard of people doing that Snippy, it's definitely not something to be taken lightly. Especially if he didn't own a dog himself, doesn't make sense for him to have treats in the first place.

I carry treats all the time. However, I only ever share a treat with the express OK of a dog's owner.

I can not risk giving a strange dog a single thing that it might be unable to eat. I decline my dogs getting treats if as too often they are the coloured poo smackos :eek:

I don't mind if it is someone I know and I know their dogs offering the occasional treat if they ask first. But a situation like today was just crazy with the way it was done and I think a few people will think twice about it in future.

Thanks again to all those that wished my Ronin well, there was no problem with us. We are not perfect though, Ronin can be a boof-head at times and he can be a bit frightening to those not familiar with 9 month old husky play which can be quite vocal. He certainly thinks that all of the dogs are playmates even when they may not want to play- but I try to be mindful of others.

What was rather comical was that when the commotion happened someone dropped their phone and a big friendly lab picked it up and ran away with it. They were still trying to get it back when I was loading Ronin into the car!

Talk about one crazy and chaotic evening - I am sure there was no full moon though :)

It will be some story to tell our trainer when I see her tomorrow.

I had a young girl come over to my dogs at the dogpark and started to give them treats! I told her to stop , I was furious! who gives a child treats to give random dogs in a dogpark! :mad

Glad your Ronin was ok!

we had a similar thing happen at our park with a women throwing out pieces of sausage to the crowd of dogs in the park. There were probably about 8 dogs in the park including quite a few large breeds. I was flabbergasted that anyone could be so stupid. It was a pure miracle that a fight didn't break out there as well... the poor dog that actually belonged to the women was being alternately berated for "not sharing" and boasted about that it could 'handle itself' if there was an issue. We waited outside until that particular nut job had left!

I was amazed that anyone could be that clueless... apparently she's not the only one!

Yeah that is sick Snippy :mad

Even in a normal scenario I don't think it is cool at all to offer a treat to a dog that is not your own, without asking the owner first.

I actually don't take treats to this particular park as I don't really use it as a training environment. I believe that there are many parks in the US that have a no treat rule - possibly due to similar situations that I experienced this arvo.

So glad you and Ronin are okay! Re the bolded bit, I agree 100%. I always ask people before giving their dog a treat, and am not happy if people do not do the same for my dogs. I prefer my dogs not taking treats from strangers as I am a worry wort haha.

But I stopped going to a particular area here when a guy started doing the exact same thing, scattering treats around. I was pretty furious, I normally just play with my dogs in a different area (this is a park that's not fenced, and it's big) but as I was walking back to the car a guy with a whole group of dogs around him was scattering food and called my dogs over. Bloody hell, Rusty might look pretty, but I've never seen a dog go as hard in a fight as him when food is around. I would not risk having him attack another dog, or another dog do the same to mine (especially the little one). Some things are really not thought through by people, and I'm lucky I got my 3 back no problem before they got among all those other dogs. :mad

Thanks for your well wishes for Ronin and comments.

I was talking about this with our trainer today and she was also flabbergasted about what occurred, she was also very proud of Ronin and his behaviour.

Ronin is really good and non reactive, but he really is entering into his early teenage phase with hormones jumping around. Being a husky and very strong willed especially during this phase, I can not rely 100% on recall every time.

We decided that I should give the early evening sessions there a miss for a little while. Basically due to the fact that the evening sessions are much more hyped than day. Many of the dogs have been home alone all day and they then go to the park for some fun before dinner. So the arousal level is understandably pretty high.

We have been lucky to so far, but I think we should 'cash in our chips' and give it a rest for a bit. Ronin is 25kg a pure power and I would hate for him pick up an attitude from others around him. I know who would get the blame if he did become involved - it would be the biggish one who looks like a wolf :(

There are few rescue ex racing greyhounds that go during the day on weekends so I will probably hook up with them again for play sessions. They get on well :)

Edited by Yonjuro

When Councils set up off leash dog parks.... it would make sense to place a LARGE sign at the entrance with some guidelines.... Also fenced parks should have a double gate system.... creating a bit of an airlock ..... especially in smaller parks less than about an acre in size.... this would allow people to step into the airlock with their dog and allow the dogs inside to come over and sniff each other thru the fence .... helps to settle before you let them in together. Also off leash parks should not have seating so that people keep wandering around instead of sitting and ignoring their dogs.

Sign should state......

NO FOOD ALLOWED IN OFF LEASH PARK

TURN MOBILE PHONES OFF (To concentrate on the dog)

REMOVE YOUR DOG IF EXCESSIVE ENERGY TO OTHERS

NO CHILDREN UNDER 8 YEARS OF AGE

CHILDREN UNDER 18 MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY ADULT

DON'T FORGET TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG

When Councils set up off leash dog parks.... it would make sense to place a LARGE sign at the entrance with some guidelines.... Also fenced parks should have a double gate system.... creating a bit of an airlock ..... especially in smaller parks less than about an acre in size.... this would allow people to step into the airlock with their dog and allow the dogs inside to come over and sniff each other thru the fence .... helps to settle before you let them in together. Also off leash parks should not have seating so that people keep wandering around instead of sitting and ignoring their dogs.

Sign should state......

Agree with this 100% :thumbsup:

18 might be a bit excessive... by those rules I would not be able to exercise my own dog and I have to say I probably have better control over my dog/perception of situations than most adults at my local offlead reserve. 16 might be a bit more realistic but no younger.

I watched a twenty something woman let her Golden Retriever run right into a soccer match this afternoon then run over to us. I told the dog to beat it only to have it follow us again. Lady finally clued in that I didn't want her dog following us around the entire reserve trying to jump all over Didi and called it back, not before it jumped all over me too. It didn't quite make it back to its owner and darted off to the next dog it saw. Tried sneaking past it on our way back but even after making it clear the first time that I didn't appreciate her dog's attention she let it run over again!!! I have turned into the biggest no nonsense grump about dogs running over to play, especially when the owner is looking the other way with no inclination to call it back anytime soon.

At least I got to meet an adorable 4mth old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier pup and we ran into our Bassett Hound friend Wilbur to make up for the annoying Golden. Reminded me why I don't like going in the evenings, full of people just wanting to drain their dog's battery and would rather let others babysit than I don't know spend some quality time with their dog after it was alone all day.

Sign should state......

The park in question is actually really good. It does have the airlock-type thing you describe and there is a sign which states, among other things, that any dog showing aggressive behaviour must be removed immediately. I don't remember if it mentions food.

I would only take dog treats to a park where I am the only one there with my dogs. I leave when another dog shows up anyway but if I didn't, I would stop using the treats. I have been out with my dogs once and a fellow dog owner asked to give mine some treats. Thought it was very courteous and responsible of him to ask.

Edited by Mim

Offtopic but Yonjuro, do you know what all the construction going on at the park is for? Today they were digging big holes with bobcats and had heaps of large limestone blocks lying around.

Offtopic but Yonjuro, do you know what all the construction going on at the park is for? Today they were digging big holes with bobcats and had heaps of large limestone blocks lying around.

Yeah, they are building a semi circle limestone seated area - sort of amphitheatre type thing. Kind of weird really as it will be bang smack in the sun. Gotta say I am happy they re-grassed around the drinking bowl. Ronin would always dig in the mud puddle... no doubt he will again when it is finished LOL

I was told they were going to put some agility equipment in as well - dunno when though.

I also have a suspicion that the reduction in the size last night didn't help the incidents - possibly too many in a smaller area and the entrance gate being cramped while they do the work??

Edited by Yonjuro

who the hell feeds other dogs at the dog park.. is it just me or does that seem like a really weird thing to do.. of course for the obvious reason of resource guarding.. but also my dogs are allergic to some foods so certainly wouldn't want mine being fed anything by anyone I didn't know. not to mention I just wouldn't want anyone I didn't know feeding my dogs :( I guess this is another reason for me to stay away from dog parks.. I already see them as a very dangerous place to take my beloved pet.. :)

I know parks get a pretty bad rap here, but this wasn't my intention. All I wanted to get across is that we really need to be careful with "treat etiquette" - A lady I really like there brought out some treats and she dropped a few by accident and one dog growled and guarded the fallen food. She was horrified and apologised profusely. Nothing happened but she sussed out the potential disaster.

I had 1 bad experience at the park in around 30 visits.

I think all of us here would probably realise what could happen, and hopefully we can kindly suggest that it might not be a great idea to bring out treats for other dogs when we are at the park. Or, at least move our dogs away when we see someone who may not be dog savvy bring out a bag of treats :)