Weekends (or Longer) Away?

kemmek

We are lucky to have a holiday program for the dogs :-) people register in our case breed specific. ( but have had other terrier breeds ) as it's with our rescue group .

We just advise the dates we need and people closest to you contact you and that's it . We know each other and all have an obsession lol of our breed and so far has worked out fabulous ..

Edited by mumof4girls

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have kenneled when absolutely have to but 99% of the time use a house sitter if the dog cant come with us.

check out dog friendly accommodation though there is so much more out there then there used to be, also iv found our outings have changed as the dogs came into our lives we found we went bush walking and beaching more then hitting the city

Are you saying I have an unhealthy obsession with my greyhounds SnT? :p

Nah, who would dare leave Stan in a kennel!!! He would disown you. :laugh:

If you had said yes I would've agreed :laugh: BUT in my defence I worry about them getting hurt in kennels with their thin skin and with Stan's loooong record of injuries I'd back it in something would happen. I really don't think they would miss me at all as long as they were together it's me that has the problem. I did put them in doggy daycare at my vets for a day a few months back when I had an appointment in Sydney and Stan barked non stop, we got the "don't come back" when I picked him up.

Only Stan would get expelled on his first day of pre school :o

Are you saying I have an unhealthy obsession with my greyhounds SnT? :p

Nah, who would dare leave Stan in a kennel!!! He would disown you. :laugh:

If you had said yes I would've agreed :laugh: BUT in my defence I worry about them getting hurt in kennels with their thin skin and with Stan's loooong record of injuries I'd back it in something would happen. I really don't think they would miss me at all as long as they were together it's me that has the problem. I did put them in doggy daycare at my vets for a day a few months back when I had an appointment in Sydney and Stan barked non stop, we got the "don't come back" when I picked him up.

Only Stan would get expelled on his first day of pre school :o

Poor Stan! I agree kennels that are Greyhound friendly would be hard to find.

I wasn't addressing anyone really, just saying that if their dogs are OK and there are places people want to travel, don't put it off permanently just for that reason. :)

There was a definite age demographic at my last clinic where clients had made the decision not to replace their dog/s or cat/s immediately as they had plans to travel within the next decade. That's another alternative I guess.

My issue is that my (currently) childless friends are traveling now, and my volunteer work is now, with no guarantees of continued program funding into the future.

Hazywal there is a kennel at Wyee that has just been bought by someone heavily involved in GAP program. Playhouse Pet Motel. Just thought I would share in case you are interested.

Our lifestyle has definitely changed now that we have the pups, but like others here, we try to take them with us as much as possible. We really enjoy camping so this is no issue for us. When we can't take them with us (such as next week when we go to Fraser Island - 10 days with no puppy kisses :( ), I usually get my sister to come and stay at my place. If she was unavailable, I would find a pet sitter I could trust.

I actually run a pet sitting service myself, and find that the majority of the time, the owners are much more stressed and worried by being away from the dogs that the dogs are :laugh: This is especially true when there is more than one dog at the home... they are always super excited to see me, but are usually quite happy to go back to their own devices once they have been feed, walked and cuddled. There are some dogs which require more time and attention, and this is when staying in the home with them becomes necessary. A lot of these dogs actually do better with a pet sitter moving into the house for the weekend and following their familiar routines, in their familiar environment, then by uprooting their lives and going off to a kennel.

Having said that, I am always glad when my sister can look after the pups... while I know that there are pet sitters out there who would take the time and care to look after my 'babies' the way I do, I have also heard some horror stories from clients. It would be very nerve wracking trying to find a good one, and entrusting the dogs to their care for the first time.

Hazywal there is a kennel at Wyee that has just been bought by someone heavily involved in GAP program. Playhouse Pet Motel. Just thought I would share in case you are interested.

That's interesting thowra do you mean Greyhounds As Pets or Greyhound Adoption Programmme?

I have been to the Playhouse and checked it out, the guy that owned it was a greyhound trainer, but found it unsuitable. A little too airy in winter for my likings.

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice - so interesting to hear the wide variety of opinions!

I always knew that there would be quite a lot of planning involved before getting a dog, but it seems like there's even more than I had envisaged. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's something that we should be looking at or not - I love the idea of spending time with a dog, but I really don't want my life to revolve around my pet. (This is one of the reasons why we don't have kids...)

Lots to think about.

but I really don't want my life to revolve around my pet.

Then i would say you don't want a dog .dogs are totally reliant on you to fulfill its life needs & that is from start to finish & when there getting old then your life changes again for the dogs needs,

A dog is no different than a child ,there not ornaments you leave in the backyard to deal with when it suits

but I really don't want my life to revolve around my pet

Then i would say you don't want a dog .dogs are totally reliant on you to fulfill its life needs & that is from start to finish & when there getting old then your life changes again for the dogs needs,

A dog is no different than a child ,there not ornaments you leave in the backyard to deal with when it suits

I absolutely agree with Showdog. It sounds like a dog is not for you.

A dog if cared for correctly requires a high level of commitment by the owner and would take up a lot of your time. It would also pose a problem if you want to go away for a weekend or for a holiday.

It was responsible of you to research what owning a dog is all about before going out and buying one.

I disagree. You cant compare a dog to a human baby/child. Since when do we leave human kids home alone while we go to work, go out to dinner or the cinema, or even nip down to the shops for 10 minutes?

Plus dogs are easier to train ;)

I just looked into boarding kennels for my October holiday. I was quoted $16.50 per night. I have 2 dogs so would have cost me $33 a night. The kennels were pretty small and I knew I wouldn't be able to have a happy holiday knowing they were cooped up in them all day, so we are going to take all 3 with us. The thought that came to mind for me was a total of around $300 to put my dogs in jail for 10 days. A few days would be fine...but 10 days in those cramped conditions...no way.

I love the idea of spending time with a dog, but I really don't want my life to revolve around my pet. (This is one of the reasons why we don't have kids...)

Ever since we got our two dogs, our lives have changed considerably. Our lives revolve around our two dogs, and no, we do not have children.

Hubby is going o/s in September, I am staying behind.

We love our two to bits! :)