Xl Dog Groomer In Perth, Nor

We are having trouble finding a groomer that will take our Alaskan Malamute cross, as most don't seem to have facilities that cater to a dog his size, even if they supposedly take large dogs. Can anyone recommend a groomer in the Northern suburbs that would be able to take on the job?

This hasn't been an issue prior as the at home regimen was sufficient, but ever since he was neutered he hasn't stopped shedding his undercoat, and everything and everyone in the house is covered in a layer of fluff! :(

Edited by AlexM

can you work with him slowly and gently to get him used to being vacuumed with a brush? I have done this to dogs ..it is very effective ..and providing you & your dog are trusting ..teaching can be fun & lead to a win-win. :)

can you work with him slowly and gently to get him used to being vacuumed with a brush? I have done this to dogs ..it is very effective ..and providing you & your dog are trusting ..teaching can be fun & lead to a win-win. :)

Hey Persephone,

The problem we have is getting all the loose fur out of his undercoat - you can spend an hour with a brush and still have loose tufts coming out. Essentially, he needs some TLC from a professional with industrial tools. Also, he's a big baby that is afraid of vacuum's :p

Hey Persephone,

The problem we have is getting all the loose fur out of his undercoat - you can spend an hour with a brush and still have loose tufts coming out. Essentially, he needs some TLC from a professional with industrial tools. Also, he's a big baby that is afraid of vacuum's :p

Hiya, am sorry I don't have a recommendation, but is yours a Mally Ridgeback cross? I met someone briefly when I was leaving the fenced in dog park a week or so ago?

Hey Persephone,

Hiya, am sorry I don't have a recommendation, but is yours a Mally Ridgeback cross? I met someone briefly when I was leaving the fenced in dog park a week or so ago?

Hey :)

We're not 100% but we're pretty sure he's crossed with a GSD - he's a giant doofy blond thing. But it wouldn't have been us at the dog park as he isn't great with strange dogs.

Hey Persephone,

Hey :)

We're not 100% but we're pretty sure he's crossed with a GSD - he's a giant doofy blond thing. But it wouldn't have been us at the dog park as he isn't great with strange dogs.

Ah no worries, I'd love to see some pics of your boy, I'll bet he is a beauty!

If he's scared of the vacuum chances are he'll be scared of the groomers dryers. I doubt groomers are saying no due to facilities, more just because of the breed. It's a huge job, the nature of the breed plus the clean up - people baulk at paying whats it's worth. If you find an experienced groomer it will help if you let let them know you are prepared to pay accordingly. Expect to pay around $150. I learnt very quickly to say no to mal owners. Good luck! smile.gif

If he's scared of the vacuum chances are he'll be scared of the groomers dryers. I doubt groomers are saying no due to facilities, more just because of the breed. It's a huge job, the nature of the breed plus the clean up - people baulk at paying whats it's worth. If you find an experienced groomer it will help if you let let them know you are prepared to pay accordingly. Expect to pay around $150. I learnt very quickly to say no to mal owners. Good luck! smile.gif

Yeah, I'd be requesting a rough towel off only for him to avoid the dryer :)

Seems a bit silly to have to reassure someone that I am willing to pay for the job I want done, before they even tell me if they'll do it.

Out of curiosity, do you say no to Mal's because you find the effort of the job not worth the $ return?

Lots of dogs are scared of vacuums and therefore pet dryers but they still need to the dried properly, especially dogs with a thick heavy coat as they can take a very long time to air dry.

If the dryer is a concern you need to find someone that can go slowly and give the dog lots of breaks. It's better for the long term if it's something he gets used to.

Maybe contact a local grooming school and see if they would like to use him as a learning experience :)

Have you used the DIY dog washing machines at Pet Stock? I use the one at Joondalup and have used it for dogs not used to a vacuum. You can clip them in, so they can't get their paws over and after a few baths, they get used to it; to a degree.

Plus the one at Joondalup, you pay afterwards and each bath use adds to a free bath! Frequent Bather hehe. You pay afterwards too. So no need to go searching for change.

I find this is the best way to help Ivy [belgian shepherd] blow her coat.

Yeah, I'd be requesting a rough towel off only for him to avoid the dryer :)

Seems a bit silly to have to reassure someone that I am willing to pay for the job I want done, before they even tell me if they'll do it.

Out of curiosity, do you say no to Mal's because you find the effort of the job not worth the $ return?

The dryer will be the best thing for him. It blows out all the loose coat and enables the groomer to brush out the undercoat. If you dont want him dried with dryers its not worth your money IMO. He needs to be groomed before his bath or the coat will just be washed in IYKWIM. I say no to Mals because their disposition can be stubborn, they can be noisy and it is back breaking work. Plus it's almost impossible to clean up all the coat which flies out under the high velocity dryers. It's not a personal thing, I like the breed but I would rather groom two smaller dogs in the same amount of time, same money, less clean up and not have to visit the physio. It is hard I know. I had a hell of a time finding someone to groom one of my Maremmas. I didn't want to do him myself and rang all the other groomers in town. Only one would groom such a large full coated dog. If you PM me where you are I can ask on a grooming forum if anyone would be interested if you like.

I agree it does seem silly but when people ring me for such big dogs and state they are aware that it will cost and they are prepared to pay for it then I would back down from my no XL dog stance. Well, I used to, I now just say a really firm no sorry. You'd be surprised how many people freak out at the quote and expect to pay around $40. :confused:

We are like Clyde there are breeds or combos we will no longer groom & Mals /Mal crosses are one of them .All groomers will be able to house them its just there polite way of saying no

From history they come in in bad coat condition /untrained & simply not worth the money to do them & yes your body suffers bigtime afterwards & alot of Groomers are now picking what they groom due to past history,hard for people with those breeds but 40 kg of untrained /unco operative dog just isn't worth the time .

The tools a groomer uses you can easily buy yourself & brush out the dog more often & in shorter bursts .

We don't use industrial tools we just do the job fully because we have too ,

Try WA grooming academy they are SOR but train students in grooming so it seems they take all sorts of dogs for experience or they may have one of the past students on that side of the river