Online K9 Conditioning Course

gila

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get a balance disc over a BOSU ball.

I am looking forward to my stock arriving soon and I will have even more toys to play with *cough* sell :laugh:

Are you going to have the bones J? If so I'll grab one from you. Always prefer to give my money to people I "know".

PS Ness - cute video

Fitbone is definitely more useful then a single disc - http://classroom.dai...new-k9-fitbone/

I like it for my two because of Kenz's MPL issues its suppose to help the knee tracking straight and with Ness being an oldie getting on and off the peanut is a bit fraught with danger and being low to the ground there is less risk for her.

Before the bone I had a couple of these discs - https://www.hartspor.../products/2-044

I find I use the discs/bone for then the peanut.

ETA. Kenz messing around on the fitbone -

I'm sold! Thanks ness. The Fitbone can replace the aerobic step I'm currently using. Yes, the peanut is a bit high for my old(ish) boy too. He doesn't like being picked up so I have a 'mounting block' for him. I don't really like him jumping off it either.

My oldie is 14 next month and about 10 months post a cruciate repair and had an idiopathic vestibular episode a few months back which while she recovered from her balance certainly isn't as good as it was before that. Its good because you can shape the dogs to get on it and be much more independent then the peanut.

She looks great in that video :) I don't think I'll have to do any shaping at all with Spence; whenever I put something on the ground his first instinct is to stand on it (not always a good thing!) :laugh:

I would get a balance disc over a BOSU ball.

I am looking forward to my stock arriving soon and I will have even more toys to play with *cough* sell :laugh:

Are you going to have the bones J? If so I'll grab one from you. Always prefer to give my money to people I "know".

PS Ness - cute video

I will :)

Week 4 is up. Haventhad a chance to read it as I am ***supposed*** to be finishing off a uni assignment

I feel like this week I'll be able to really start as we registered for the class late then quickly discovered I needed help with teaching "stand" - I did look up up on youtube, it seemed easy but I was missing something. Comically it did lead to a very cute session with Scottie bunny hopping / bum scooting across the lounge room. Anyhow, we went back to obedience today (after being rained out last week). He gets it - I just have to work on my timing now so yeh.

Also joined the facebook group but have been away from facebook as I am "supposed" to be studying.

How's everyone else getting on?

Really enjoying the class - though I struggle with time - I think I do too many disciplines with my dogs :rofl: - and work gets in the way, to say nothing of a kitten who decided to swallow a small head off a toy and completely obstruct his intestine .... :eek: .

I've only read half of the Week 4 lecture - away at a Track & Search trial over the weekend (successful :thumbsup: ) - and then away again this weekend for Rally. And have to fit in some training for a T & S trial in 3 weeks - Kirra will be attempting her urban night track. But I'm hoping to get on to the Week 4 work today. Trying to keep up with the exercises we've done so far. Now if someone could design an app ....... :D

We're liking the Fitbone, but my BCs are a bit long to fit on it lengthways with a straight back - good for the different level exercises though.

Or having longer BCs ... don't forget even Miss Kirra needs the 55cm coat - and that's a tad short sometimes. It's not a problem as we can use the fitbone for other exercises.

Now learning to use the paw pods - yep - that's a training issue. :D

I bought a balance board from Kmart today for $10. The top is hard plastic so I've taped a towel over the top for now, but I'm planning on getting a piece of foam mat to cover the top for grip. Spence likes it. I used it to do the head up/down/left/right exercise with his front feet on it. Also got him to pivot around on it.

Tassie - Spence wears a 55cm coat. Do you think he'd be able to stand square on the Fitbone? I thought it was big enough for medium sized dogs to stand on..

It depends a bit on the dog gila. Rory actually has more or less learned to stand on it, but it's only just long enough .. his paws are right in the corners. Kirra is not quite as long as Rory, so she should be able to stand on it ... if she wasn't so giggly and impatient :rofl: .

Your balance board sounds good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone signing up for round two?? I think I'm going to sign up for bronze again.

I got a shock when I took Spence to the vet for his cartrophen injection this morning. Popped him on the scales and he weighs 21.6kg!! That's the heaviest he's ever been. He's been about 18.5-19kg for the last few years and was about 19.6kg three months ago. He certainly hasn't put on 2kg of fat, so it must be muscle. Right? Has anyone else seen weight gain after starting regularly conditioning exercises?

Interesting, gila. Haven't weighed mine since the course started. I'd be going by the ribs feel test .. that should tell you weather it's muscle.

Yes, planning to do part 2 if I get the time right and set the alarm for 3.00am :eek: on the right day.

I've been eyeing this course off the last few days, I was interested in signing up for round 2 but it says you have to do Class 1 as a pre-req.

Has anyone done the 1st class when they already have a pretty good history of this kind of work on the fit paws gear? Did you get much from it?

Has anyone signed up to Bronze level for Class 2 and managed despite not doing Class 1?

Hi Jess. This is the first time Deb has taught the class for FSDA. I would say your best bet is to email her and ask. Tell her what you've been doing already. I had a reasonable background - probably not as much as you - but the material in the lectures in the first one was well organised and useful, I thought.

gila - yes - I'm going to try for gold again - I need the discipline to keep me on track. :laugh: Mind you, I also want to do another gold - and of course it's a busy time of our trialling year ... and then there's work ... but hey - what the heck. :laugh: