Frozen Semen Analysis - Help

I was wondering if anyone can help me regards to Frozen Semen

what is a good Sperm Count per ml for a frozen breeding ?

I have been told that 150-200 Million is needed for a frozen semem breeding but i have found online that only 100mil is really required.

anyone have this information that they could share with me.

thanks in Advance

Carmen

There's a lot more to it than just the LNPT (live normal post thaw) MIO rate. There is the motility status, semen quality etc.

If all other boxes are ticked and looking excellent, then some repro vets will be reasonably happy inseminating 100mio. If the quality of the 100mio is average to poor they will advise on inseminating 2 units or say they are not happy doing it. With frozen semen the odds are that the higher the LNPT mio the better chance of puppies and higher litter number. Smart repro vets will advise against inseminating low MIOs particularly if the quality is not excellent.

I aim a breeding unit to have minimum of 150mio as long as it is excellent quality semen, but prefer 200 just to lift odds of successful litter of good size.

It comes down to risk evaluation. When anaesthetising a quality, much loved bitch plus investing in all that time, effort and cost a breeder really wants to do everything they can do give their bitch the best chance of a good sized litter.

Added one needs to keep in mind that the original semen report done at time of collection may not be the same as it is at time of insemination. Hence why I endeavour to do another semen evaluation once the semen has arrived at my repro vet to check it is still the same.

Edited by Starkehre

There's a lot more to it than just the LNPT (live normal post thaw) MIO rate. There is the motility status, semen quality etc.

If all other boxes are ticked and looking excellent, then some repro vets will be reasonably happy inseminating 100mio. If the quality of the 100mio is average to poor they will advise on inseminating 2 units or say they are not happy doing it. With frozen semen the odds are that the higher the LNPT mio the better chance of puppies and higher litter number. Smart repro vets will advise against inseminating low MIOs particularly if the quality is not excellent.

I aim a breeding unit to have minimum of 150mio as long as it is excellent quality semen, but prefer 200 just to lift odds of successful litter of good size.

It comes down to risk evaluation. When anaesthetising a quality, much loved bitch plus investing in all that time, effort and cost a breeder really wants to do everything they can do give their bitch the best chance of a good sized litter.

Added one needs to keep in mind that the original semen report done at time of collection may not be the same as it is at time of insemination. Hence why I endeavour to do another semen evaluation once the semen has arrived at my repro vet to check it is still the same.

Thank you very much for all that Info :). greatly appreciated.