Breed Help...please!

maybel

I'd be happy with a Staffy but unfortunately my husband was bitten by one as a kid (probably very poorly bred or even a cross breed) and won't even consider it - so, no "nanny dog" for us.

A question for those with longer coated breeds - with the shedding, are we talking about large amounts of hair dropping out of the coat onto floors, clothing etc (which has been my experience with smaller dogs with short coats) or lots coming out in the brush (with a weekly brush which I guess becomes a daily brush during a coat blow)? Or is it a mixture of both? Sorry if that is a stupid question....

With my Aussie, both. I vacuum every day and brush him every day, do a proper line combing weekly to keep it in check, if I miss it a few days there is hair everywhere. I don't have to brush him that much to keep his fur nice, but it keeps my house less fluffy! I also rub him down with a rubber brush that gets a lot of loose hair out.

He had his first coat drop in Autumn and I was washing him weekly (warm water helps get the hair out) and the hair coming out was just amazing. He will have a much thicker coat after winter, so I'm expecting a lot worse for his first spring coat drop.

I can't wear dark clothes without using up at least one sheet of the lint roller laugh.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am struggling to think of a long haired breed that isn't going to shed. Really can't . Some shed more than others of course. If you really don't like hair I would suggest a non shedding breed like a poodle. Someone's idea of not much hair may be too much for you.

I had 2 birman cats and their hair was horrendous. The breeder told me that they shed less than a moggy and that it wasn't a hassle. They might have thought the hair loss was ok, I hated it. So that taught me a lesson about asking people questions like that.

I don't think my border collies are too bad. I do a daily sweep. Don't get much hair on my clothes but they aren't allowed up on furniture or in the bedroom which would cut hair spreading down.

When I was a groomer the 2 dogs that surprised me the most with hair shedding was a pug and a jack russell!

I'd be happy with a Staffy but unfortunately my husband was bitten by one as a kid (probably very poorly bred or even a cross breed) and won't even consider it - so, no "nanny dog" for us.

A question for those with longer coated breeds - with the shedding, are we talking about large amounts of hair dropping out of the coat onto floors, clothing etc (which has been my experience with smaller dogs with short coats) or lots coming out in the brush (with a weekly brush which I guess becomes a daily brush during a coat blow)? Or is it a mixture of both? Sorry if that is a stupid question....

It can vary alot ,for example a Golden Retriever would shed more than an Aussie Shep as the top coats are different.

All shedding dogs will drop coat on the floor /clothes/furniture etc etc BUT some breeds do it more than others or have a coat that sticks to anything .

The biggest issue is the effort people put into grooming,smooth coated breeds style need a good regular brush & strip out ,the more you keep on top of coat maintenance the less coat you will have & the more often you do it the easier it is .Better to set aside 10/15 mins a few tims a week & give a good brush out than leave it to become an hour later or beyond the abilities of a pet owner.

With alot of the Aussie we board the top coats are great but most don't brush the pants properly & there clumpy mats .

Grooming is also about picking up lumps & bumps & checking for general health & a well trained dog to groom is a pleasure for the next 12 years & the owners will put the effort in a nightmare gets left or you pay big bucks for a groomer

Every breed has its negativ & any puppy purchaser should be aware of them BUT some sites on the net are often misleading or over dramatic or give out incorrect info in the whole scheme of things or are created by people who actually have no real clue .

sigh, how true

showdog said:

I agree go to some shows & look at breeds or look on the breed pages on this site & see what breeds you like the look off & go from there

Remember when you go to shows and see the dogs it is unlikely that your dog of the breed at home will look like the ones you see at the show. For example if you saw an Airedale Terrier at the show you would probably be looking at a dog that someone had spent many many hours grooming to get it to look like that. Your pet Airedale or ungroomed Airedale is going to look a lot different.

It is very true that different dogs within a breed will be very different. My Aussie is on the small size, about 22kgs, and his coat is not very thick. Not sure if living in Qld has anything to do with this though. Luka does not shed much at all. Mind you, I have a husky so my expereince with 'shedding' is slightly skewed :laugh:

Don't make the misatke I did many years ago though. I thought I would get a short haired dog becasue they wouldn't shed as much. I got a Labrador, nuff said :rofl:

What about a Brittany? They are lovely dogs, and very underrated! Also something a bit more out there - Basset Fauve, PBGV, Dandie Dinmont? Dandies are awesome dogs!

Sorry, but I cannot picture a Brittany being content with half an hour of walking a day.

I looked at a Brittany but came to the conclusion they need a LOT of exercise! Will need to go and google some of those other breeds - thanks for the suggestions.

I know any dog we have won't look like the ones at the shows but that's ok, we like a bit of scruff anyway. I appreciate all the responses.

I looked at a Brittany but came to the conclusion they need a LOT of exercise! Will need to go and google some of those other breeds - thanks for the suggestions.

I know any dog we have won't look like the ones at the shows but that's ok, we like a bit of scruff anyway. I appreciate all the responses.

Why not? No reason why a well bred pet won't look like that.

I'd suggest a shiba inu if you want something small and spitzy but without the long coat. Will shed buckets of hair in Spring but hey, I hear knitting with dog hair can be a fun hobby :D

That's a stunning looking dog!

I'd suggest a shiba inu if you want something small and spitzy but without the long coat. Will shed buckets of hair in Spring but hey, I hear knitting with dog hair can be a fun hobby :D

That's a stunning looking dog!

When they scream you might want ear protection though :p

--Lhok

Why not? No reason why a well bred pet won't look like that.

Because in many cases the breed as prepared for the show ring does not look like an ungroomed pet. I'm thinking in particular about my breed and other prepared terriers. An Airedale left untrimmed looks vastly different to a show trimmed Airedale Terrier. Yes, the basics are the same under all the hair but what is seen at a show is not what one gets unless they spend time or money making it that way.

I met a couple of Shiba Inus at the park the other day, different days and different dogs and owners! They are beautiful little guys.

Knitting with Husky fur is not uncommon believe it or not. Some of my Wife's friends in Russia have made hats, mittens and jumpers from the fluff they shed!