Sentinel Spectrum? Recommendations Please!

Hi everyone,

I am looking at products for my new puppy. I was thinking of using a combination of revolution and canex however after some thought I'd rather not use a topical since from what I've read they are actually pretty poisonous. So I was looking through what is available and came across sentinel spectrum which seems to do pretty much everything in one. Any reviews on the product and whether it is any good? Or even some other suggestions? Also my pup is a sheltie so from my understanding is a little more sensitive to some ingredients.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I have been using Sentinel for many years and none of my dogs have ever had fleas or worms. I certainly recommend this product.

If you have queries about Sentinel being suitable for your breed of dog, perhaps the breeder will assist you.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

I too have used Sentinel for years and it is great. However I recently switched to Panoramis as the vet told me that Sentinel only renders the fleas sterile, where Panoramis also kills fleas. So far Panoramis has been fantastic - no fleas at all.

I'm using Panoramis, and was thinking of switching to Sentinel, so I wouldn't have to treat for tapeworm separately, but my vet said the same thing about fleas so I think I'll be sticking with Panoramis. Just need to find a way to get it down his throat more reliably.

I use comfortis as the sentinel wasn't working.

I am guessing it is because of the way it works, never knew it didnt kill fleas, and we have many loose cats in the area so new fleas were always about.

The comfortis is working well, but panoramis would be great for the worming side of it! May have to try that, i was put off as it is the same ingredient as sentinel and i figured it wouldn't work here either.

I think the worming ingredient is the same, but the flea treatment is different.

The Panoramis is definitely effective. My dog just hates the taste of it, and for a large dog the size of it is huge. I have to mash it up and give him smaller pieces in peanut butter. He can sniff it out in yoghurt and eats around it...

Most of the tapewormers are pretty generic I think.

I've used Popantel tapeworm and Virbac. they both have the same active ingredient though. I usually get it from the vet so I can just buy the exact dosage for his weight every 3 months.

As a Sheltie breeder most of us if using monthly treatments for heartworm use Sentinal (flea and heart worm) or Interceptor (heart worm only) otherwise they use the daily heart worm and treat fleas when required. Steer clear of any mectin based products unless you know the status for ivermectin sensitivity (DNA test required or you need to know the parents DNA status).

I note that you are in the central coast - which is a high tick risk area - none of the products you mentioned cover ticks. If having to use something separate for ticks then I would suggest the Interceptor for the monthly heart worm then one of the flea/tick treatments.

Your breeder should be able to guide you in what you should be using particularly if they know the status of the parents in relation to mdr1.

With a Sheltie you are much more limited in what you can give due to the ivermectin sensitivity - not all vets are knowledgeable in relation to this so please ensure you are diligent in relation to the meds that you give.

Good luck with your new pup.