Tying Up A Dog In A Public Space

Sezy

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any laws/rules/regulations around tying up a dog in a public space??

We have a park across the road from our house and my daughter and I went for a walk around it today and a swf was tied up to a chair by a retractable lead with no owner in sight. We stopped with it for a moment trying to decide what to do as taking it home wasn't an option as my 2 dogs aren't particularly friendly with all dogs.

As we crossed the road to head home it's owner showed up, he lives just around the corner and his excuse for leaving his dog there was that it runs away???

Bit more info, not sure if it was this particular dog but one of this guys dogs is very dog aggressive and has gone my 2 on a couple of occasions and was very much the start of my 2 hating small dogs!

So aside from being any idiot and a crappy owner is there anything I can report to council??

Thanks

I heard of someone being fined in Darwin for leaving a dog tied up.

So I guess it's not ok there.

Not sure about other places.

Pretty sure in SA and NSW - dog has to be under effective control of a "responsible person" (over 16 and capable of controlling the dog) and in public spaces - eg footpaths - has to be on lead.

In SA the lead must be 2m or less, not an extendable lead which dogs use to strangle themselves and wrap around peoples legs and rip holes in them. In NSW it says "adequate", I don't think stretchy leads qualify as "adequate".

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s13.html

It is illegal to leave your dog tethered in NSW in a public place also if the park has play equipment the dogs cannot be within 10 meters of the designated children's play area

) A dog that is in a public place must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by (or secured to) the person.
14 Dogs prohibited in some public places

(1) Dogs are prohibited in the following places (whether or not they are leashed or otherwise controlled):

(a) (meaning any public place, or part of a public place, that is within 10 metres of any playing apparatus provided in that public place or part for the use of children).

Edited by WreckitWhippet

You might also find this section interesting.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s16.html'>http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s16.html

16 Offences where dog attacks person or animal

(1) If a dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal (other than vermin), whether or not any injury is caused to the person or animal:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the time of the offence and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time-that other person,

is guilty of an offence.

Maximum penalty:

(a) 100 penalty units except in the case of a dangerous, menacing or restricted dog, or

(b) 400 penalty units in the case of a dangerous, menacing or restricted dog.

The act in full is indexed here.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/

It is illegal to leave your dog tethered in NSW in a public place

Not true. From the same section you quoted (section 13):

(5) This section does not apply to:

(f) a dog secured in a cage or vehicle or tethered to a fixed object or structure.

Note. Just because a dog is not on a lead in an off-leash area, or is secured in a cage or vehicle or is tethered to a fixed object or structure, does not mean that an offence under section 16 is not committed if the dog rushes at, attacks, bites, harasses or chases any person or animal, whether or not any injury is caused.

You can tether a dog in NSW but it just isn't any defense if there's a dog attack.