Ticks Are Abundant Atm :(

Ranga

I've found many ticks on our dogs over the last few weeks, several of them small paralysis ticks as well :mad

I use Frontline plus and check my dogs daily - usually twice daily. I've now put a tick collar on my Schnauzer as I found a paralysis tick near his eye today :(

Just a heads up for those in tick prone areas to be alert.

Was wondering where you were, as they are really bad where I am and BAM we are in the same area! It's just not cold enough here, they are SO prevalent.

I use Advantix, haven't had a tick yet (touch wood)

I used Advantix once and one dog had a bad reaction to it so I don't use it anymore :(

Got one off my Foxie last week. She is 15 and rarely goes outside and has been wearing her coat 24/7 .

Found it in the crook of her leg. We are on the North Shore of Sydney and have lots of possums, so ticks are a year round problem for us!

Edited by CavsRcute

Was wondering where you were, as they are really bad where I am and BAM we are in the same area! It's just not cold enough here, they are SO prevalent.

I use Advantix, haven't had a tick yet (touch wood)

I used Advantix once and one dog had a bad reaction to it so I don't use it anymore :(

Same - Mine developed a sore under where it was applied. Bayer tried to tell me it was a hotspot without ever seeing it.

I used Advantix on mine and the chi x was sick and swollen all over her body for days plus 2 vet visits.

Don't like giving them all the medication. I do have short coated dogs but probably don't check enough. Never seen a tick althou a friends dog did get one and start reacting ( sheltie).

God, now you've made me worry. Thanks for the warning.

Yep they are out and about on the Central Coast :(Can't wait to move to Melbourne.

Wow I feel the opposite way, central/northern NSW coast not as cold in winter not as hot in summer.

More pleasant lifestyle too.

I am considering moving there :)

Yep they are out and about on the Central Coast :(Can't wait to move to Melbourne.

Wow I feel the opposite way, central/northern NSW coast not as cold in winter not as hot in summer.

More pleasant lifestyle too.

I am considering moving there :)

The Central/ Northern NSW coast is tick heaven, I've been living with these evil creatures for 50 years.

Moving to Melbourne means no ticks = happy me :)

We used to be able to relax about the ticks in winter ... Not any more :mad

Yep it's all year round now. I can't use Advantix on my greys as they get a reaction from it, I'm constantly going over them but the fear is still there. I almost lost my old boy to a tick so I'm super paranoid.

• 3 weeks later...

What area are you in?

Coffs Coast hinterland area NSW

It will be even worse after all this rain too. Be aware that we also have Lyme disease in the area as well.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

My local vet lost a dog to tick paralysis last week, spent most of the day trying to save it but couldn't :( I don't know any of the details (preventatives etc) we were just there for a chiro and they were telling us to be vigilant as they were already seeing them.